SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

SageMC 6.3.9b23

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding SageMC now that I installed 6.3.9b23. I was using the latest 6.3.9a46 for a while without too much problems and decided to update it to b23 that was published a few days ago (now that FanArt problem is supposed to be resolved).

My wife was watching an imported DVD (from hard disk) on an extender (STX-100 if I remember correctly) while I imported the new SageMC STV. At that moment, the movie that was watched stopped like if it was paused. It was actually playing but at something like at 1 fps (very very slow). I stopped everything and imported the same SageMC STV for the extender then, when came back to the Video section, it was extremely slow. I've rebooted everything and slowness was still there (meaning 20-40 seconds to open the Video section, 5-10 second to open a video), etc. I had to go back to 6.3.9a46 on the extender. It was very long to get back into SageTV and into Video but everything now seems under control.

My first question is: is there any rules to follow when you import a new SageMC STV version on the SageTV Server or an extender? I was not expecting any side effect while changing the STV on the server as it is not what is used to do the actual display on the extender. Is that correct?

I also have a SageTV client that I have not updated yet. This one should be completely independant, right?

Another question is regarding the speed of 6.3.9b23. Is it supposed to be as fast as 6.3.9a46? I installed 6.3.9b21 or something like this a few weeks ago and browsing around in TV or Videos was just too slow so I revert back to a46. I did the switch and back very soon after. Is there any delay when implementing a new version of SageMC that I should be aware of before it start acting correctly? I'm thinking at something like refreshing thumbnails or cache, rereading all the files, etc? Maybe I was just too fast to move back? I can try it but as my wife and kids don't appreciate when my system is having issues, I would like to better understand what I'm getting into.

I think that will be enough for now. Thank you for your time and assistance.

ehfortin
Old 01-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Sage Fanatic

Did you shut down sage when you extracted the new version to your sage directory?
Old 01-05-2010, 01:57 PM
SageTVaholic

But this STV has the filename SageMC_6_3_9b_23.xml - not the default which is something like SageMC169.xml. Therefore you shouldn't have to shut down Sage - unzip this file to the correct folder and then go and change your STV file under settings.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm with Wayner on this. No I didn't stopped the sagetv server as I was not replacing a file but adding a new file that I loaded later on from the settings screen.

The server didn't show problem when I changed the STV. It is the extender that suffered of extremely slow playback (didn't hang the extender at all). That's why I'm trying to figure why the extender (which one has it's own STV loaded) while playing an imported DVD (from disk) suddenly nearly paused the playback and never recover from it. The SageTV server is not a bomb but it is still a dual core 2.8 Ghz processor and, when this happened, I was on the system and the task monitor never when over 5-10% cpu usage. So it is not related to processing power.

If I have to make sure no extender are running when I change the STV on the server, I can live with that but I would like to understand the underlying relation. Actually, I was thinking even loading the standard STV on the server as it is kind of headless (not connected to a TV at all and mostly managed remotely). Can I do that (having standard STV for the server even if extender are using SageMC)?

And what about the speed of 6.3.9b23? If most don't see the speed difference with 6.3.9a46 and earlier (using FanArt and BMT), I'll retry it again and hope for the best

Thank you.

ehfortin
Old 01-06-2010, 07:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've tried to update SageMC to 6.3.9b23 again on my STX-100. Once loaded, it was slow like hell and I decided to reboot the extender. It seems to fix the slowness issue. Browsing around (TV, Videos) will make the spinning ball appear here and there for a few seconds but it is a lot better then what I experienced with b21.

I noticed that doing the same browsing around on the server is nearly instant. Is there a way to optimize the setup so that it is the same on the extender? I can live with occasional spinning ball but if incidence can be reduce as much as possible (and the spinning ball to spin for shorter time) by changing some configuration settings, I would be interested to know how to do this and which settings have positive/negative impact on the speed.

Thank you.

ehfortin
Old 01-06-2010, 12:17 PM
SageTVaholic

In my experience most of the delays are caused by fanart lookups. Try selectively disabling fanart components and see if that improves your speed. I would start with the fanart posters in the video library first. That always seems to be the worst offender for me since it is looking up a whole list of posters at once.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 01-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

I noticed the same thing on both of my hd200. I actually had to unplug the power and plug it back in now it is working as before.
HD200: 46" LCD & HD200:26" LCD
Old 01-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Sage User

Since the topic is sagemc 6.3.9b_23...

I updated from sagemc 6.3.9a_45 to 6.3.9b_23 and I'm seeing an issue with the video "folder view". It seems that the first character of my folder names are being dropped and they're no longer sorted. Other views seem to be working like "All Videos" etc. I setup a test machine and had the same issue there too, is anyone else seeing the same issue?

Thanks,

Ron

Phoenix 1.44
Sagetv 6.6.2.218
Java 1.6.0_17
sagemc 6.3.9b_23 Pre Release
sagex.api 6.6.2
Old 01-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Sage User

Where do you get it?

I'm fairly new to SageTV having moved over from MediaPortal. I've just got an HD200 &, as I posted in another thread, SageMC 6.3.9a hosed my HD200. I'm game to try a later version, if only I knewe where you guys found it!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefb View Post
I'm game to try a later version, if only I knewe where you guys found it!
it's in the sticky section of the SageMC sub forum. Here is a link to the latest prerelease version.
Check out TVExplorer
Old 01-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Sage User

Many thanks. It takes an expert to know these things!