SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Sage User

Run service mode only for HD200 Extender?

Hello all!

I recently set up a headless machine running XP Pro SP3 and installed SageTV on it (running in service mode) with it's primary functions being to record TV (via an HDHomerun and an HVR-1600) and act as server to my HD200 running in extender mode, which should arrive sometime next week (can't wait!).

I have already installed and set up the Nielm's web interface, commercial skip (comskip and dirmon2) and SageMC. Everything seems to be in order: shows are recording, web interface works as it should, edl files are being generated for commercial skip, and SageMC interface seems to be working correctly (that is, as well as it can work over remote desktop). As for how well the commercial detection and video playback perform, I'll just have to wait until I get my HD200 to find out.

One question that I can't seem to find a definite answer for is, when the HD200 connects to the server in extender mode, can SageTV be running in service mode only, or does the UI portion of SageTV also have to be running? The reason I ask is that whenever I start the UI via RD, SageTV complains that I need to be running my screen in 24 or 32 bit mode (I guess RD is in 16 bit mode only) and I have to hit OK to close that dialog box. Not really a major issue, more of an annoyance, but it would be nice if I knew I didn't have to worry about closing that dialog box every time I restart the server.

I'm new to SageTV, but from what I've read it looks like it will be a nice software/hardware package. Once I get my HD200 and I'm all set up, all of this will be replacing BeyondTV for my live/recorded TV and a Popcorn Hour for videos.

Again, I can't wait until my HD200 arrives!

Keith
Old 12-04-2009, 05:00 PM
SageTVaholic

No, you do not need to run a UI on the server in order for SageTV clients and extenders to connect to it.

You might also want to look into using the Placeshifter client to remotely administer your server without RDP.

(There is, by the way, a group policy setting you can tweak on the server to allow RDP clients to connect in 32-bit color mode, but I don't remember off the top of my head exactly where to find it. I know it's been mentioned before, so a forum search might turn it up.)
Old 12-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Sage User

Thank you, Greg! That's what I suspected, but it's good to know for sure.

Since a Placeshifter license would cost me more money, I'll probably just continue to use RDP for now since it seems to work for what I need it for. RDing into my server will probably only be a "once in a while" thing anyways.

I remember setting something to 32 bit color for RDP, but it didn't seem to make any difference. I'll do as you suggest and search the forums, I'm sure it's just something I've missed. Even if it doesn't fix it, it's not that big of a deal for me.

Thanks for your answer!

Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
No, you do not need to run a UI on the server in order for SageTV clients and extenders to connect to it.

You might also want to look into using the Placeshifter client to remotely administer your server without RDP.

(There is, by the way, a group policy setting you can tweak on the server to allow RDP clients to connect in 32-bit color mode, but I don't remember off the top of my head exactly where to find it. I know it's been mentioned before, so a forum search might turn it up.)
Old 12-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelcher789 View Post
...One question that I can't seem to find a definite answer for is, when the HD200 connects to the server in extender mode, can SageTV be running in service mode only, or does the UI portion of SageTV also have to be running?

The reason I ask is that whenever I start the UI via RD, SageTV complains that I need to be running my screen in 24 or 32 bit mode...
Yes, works fine with Sage just in service mode (hint: do configure the auto restart in sage service manager). Don't need to fire up the GUI at all. In fact, don't even need to log in.

Re RDP: yes, it does support 24+ bit depth. Needs a tweak (group policy change from memory) which a quick google will reveal.

One thing I found - I needed to start my RDP session windowed before I got the extra colour depth. I suspect if the client asks for a larger desktop than configured on server, it reduces colour depth. Didn't really look into it further.

Welcome to the fun world of Sage. Hope you don't need too much sleep...

Cheers!
Old 12-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFusion View Post
Yes, works fine with Sage just in service mode (hint: do configure the auto restart in sage service manager). Don't need to fire up the GUI at all. In fact, don't even need to log in.

Re RDP: yes, it does support 24+ bit depth. Needs a tweak (group policy change from memory) which a quick google will reveal.

One thing I found - I needed to start my RDP session windowed before I got the extra colour depth. I suspect if the client asks for a larger desktop than configured on server, it reduces colour depth. Didn't really look into it further.

Welcome to the fun world of Sage. Hope you don't need too much sleep...

Cheers!
LOL! Thanks! I seem to be drawn to tech that keeps me from getting much sleep.

I actually found through searching these forums that there's an entry, warn_on_non_32bit_color_depth, that I can set to false within Sage.properties (and SageClient.properties, apparently) that disables that check. I just used it instead of increasing the color depth to 32 bits.

Looks like I'm all ready for when my hd200 gets here.

Thanks for all the help, folks!

Keith