SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Sage User

Question Trying out SageTV Trial Software to run HD200 In Server Mode; Some Problems/Questions

I have been using the HD200 in standalone mode, which was great and pretty much played everything I threw at it. I have a WHS system so I decided to try out the trial SageTV software, and actually ran in to a bunch of problems, but wanted to see if there were work arounds or fixes.

1.) Playing BluRay rips (MKV) - I realize there is the DTS limitation, other than that it seemed to play these perfectly. However, I was under the impression the SageTV software could transcode the audio on the fly so I didn't need a DTS receiver. I have the HD200 connected to my TV via HDMI, no receiver in the loop. Any suggestions? I would prefer not to have to manually convert the DTS tracks, which I did try and it worked, but still prefer not to.

2.) (IN WORK, SEE http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=40386) Subtitles on MKV files - Related to item #1, I have a BluRay rip as MKV with embedded subtitles. However, I cannot find any way to enable/turn-on the subtitles (both in server mode or standalone mode). Any ideas?

3.) (FIXED, SEE POST #2) ISO files - I can play ISOs without any changes in standalone mode, but when it comes to Server Mode, I cannot even get them to display! I tried editting my SageTV.properties file to add .iso extensions, but this seems to do nothing. Also, when I reboot the WHS system the SageTV.properties file gets changed and the .iso is gone from the list of video extensions.

I would also appreciate input on other advantages of running in Server Mode vs. Standalone. I bought it with the intention of using standalone mode only as I already have two DVRs in my house, and don't feel a big need for using SageTV as a DVR system. I like the speed of Server Mode, but it seems to be almost more limited than standalone mode. In standalone I think if I simply buy a DTS receiver I would basically be set (except for the subtitle issues).

Thanks very much!

Last edited by onyx00; 05-31-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx00 View Post
I have been using the HD200 in standalone mode, which was great and pretty much played everything I threw at it. I have a WHS system so I decided to try out the trial SageTV software, and actually ran in to a bunch of problems, but wanted to see if there were work arounds or fixes.

1.) Playing BluRay rips (MKV) - I realize there is the DTS limitation, other than that it seemed to play these perfectly. However, I was under the impression the SageTV software could transcode the audio on the fly so I didn't need a DTS receiver. I have the HD200 connected to my TV via HDMI, no receiver in the loop. Any suggestions? I would prefer not to have to manually convert the DTS tracks, which I did try and it worked, but still prefer not to.
AFAIK, Sage won't transcode anything for the HD200. And if it does, it can only do audio and video, can't do just audio as that would destroy the sync.

Quote:
3.) ISO files - I can play ISOs without any changes in standalone mode, but when it comes to Server Mode, I cannot even get them to display! I tried editting my SageTV.properties file to add .iso extensions, but this seems to do nothing. Also, when I reboot the WHS system the SageTV.properties file gets changed and the .iso is gone from the list of video extensions.
you need to stop the Sage service before you change the properties file.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the reply, got the ISO thing working great.

So if I want it to transcode the video and audio, how would I have SageTV do that on the fly?

Any idea on subtitles?
Old 05-31-2009, 11:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So if I want it to transcode the video and audio, how would I have SageTV do that on the fly?
I highly doubt that's possible. Transcoding blu-ray video is going to take too much processing power to do in real-time.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Sage User

Okay, so essentially you are saying I need to buy a DTS receiver or some type of sound processor then?

And from I read in the Beta software forum, they are still work on subtitles: http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=40386
Old 05-31-2009, 02:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Okay, so essentially you are saying I need to buy a DTS receiver or some type of sound processor then?
I don't know what you have for a receiver, but I'm guessing you might benefit from a new receiver. It's probably relatively old if it doesn't have DTS support, and it might not even have Dolby Pro Logic II. To my ears, Pro Logic II does significantly better at creating surround sound out of Stereo/Dolby Surround material.

Alternatively, there's probably software out there that will convert a video with DTS sound to one with AC3 sound. A quick search reveals this article which talks about doing something similar so the NMT can play back video files that originally had DTS sound. That approach might work for you. It's just that you'd have to convert your files ahead of time. You're not going to be able to do it in realtime when you start watching a video.

Quote:
And from I read in the Beta software forum, they are still work on subtitles: http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=40386
Are you using the beta, or the release version of Sage? I don't have a blu-ray drive, so I don't know how well those subtitles are working in the latest beta, but I do know closed captioning works.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
If you're using the latest beta version of the firmware in standalone mode (or along w/ the latest server) then MKVs w/ emedded SRT, SSA or VobSub subtitles should work. If they don't for you, then please submit a bug report: http://sagetv.com/bugs.html