SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Sage User

Unhappy USB-UIRT for STB... no option in sagetv

Just did a fresh install of SageTV on my HTPC (following a fresh install of WinXP). I have several capture cards and one of which I want to record channels from my STB cable box. It is a Motorola 6416 PVR cable box. I also have a USB-UIRT. Here is the problem, when I go to add video source, choose my capture card, then choose "TV Tuner", then "Use external Cable or Satellite receiver to tune channel", it then prompts me for the channel, I entered 3 on my remote and pressed enter... nothing happens, it stays in the screen to select tuning option. If I press up or down, I see a screen with an option I cannot read followed by "Don't Configure Tuning". See the attached screenshot.

Not sure what I'm missing, but I believe I should see at least an option to choose the DCT200. I figured I can update the ir files later, I just want to be able to see the option to use the USB-UIRT to tune the STB.

Notes... this is a fresh install. I have the USB-UIRT working in Girder and it does show up in the device manager so I know the system sees it.

What am I missing? Furthermore, this seems to be a slight bug in SageTV, after I enter 3 for the channel, nothing happens until I press the up or down keys, and then I see some sort of missing option (that cannot be selected).

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sagetv screenshot.JPG (30.3 KB, 403 views)
Old 11-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi Codyzus,

Shot in the dark, but did you configure support for the usb-uirt when you installed SageTV? If you did not, perhaps that is why it's not showing up.

Steven
Old 11-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Sage Icon

Also SageTV cannot share the USBUIRT, if it is in use by Girder it won't work.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Sage User

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven017 View Post
Shot in the dark, but did you configure support for the usb-uirt when you installed SageTV? If you did not, perhaps that is why it's not showing up.
Yes, I'm nearly certain that I did, but I suppose I can uninstall and do a fresh install just to be 100% certain. I haven't configured much yet, so it won't be a big deal. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Sage User

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinR View Post
Also SageTV cannot share the USBUIRT, if it is in use by Girder it won't work.
Hmmm... my understanding is that the USB-UIRT drivers do allow multiple applications to use it. And I also know that I have used this setup before (with an old cable box before I re-installed everything). My USB-UIRT controls my stereo (through Girder) and SageTV sets the channel with the USB-UIRT on the cable box. Has this changed recently? Perhaps I just need to turn Girder off when I setup the video source?
Old 11-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Sage Icon

Uninstalling and re-installing Sage won't get rid of any configurations you have already done.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Sage User

Talking Got it working!

OK... got it working (well still need to select the correct ir file or learn a new one).

Not sure what fixed it exactly, but this is what I did...

Attempted to configure it unsuccessfully numerous times (got stuck on the screen from the screenshot). The last time I just backed out (left arrow) from the setup sources wizard and then selected finish source setup (I have another capture card working) with the card connected to the STB not configured.

Rebooted my computer.

Did not start Girder (Girder does not auto start yet because I haven't finished configuring it).

Launched SageTV, went to setup->configure video sources->add new, choose my capture card connected to the STB, and magically, this time another option for the tuner appeared. In addition to composite, S-video, tv tuner, there was a new option that was called tv tuner channel 3. I'm not sure where it came from and/or if it was left over from one of my unsuccessful prior attempts, but this was a new option. Upon selecting it, I was able to go through the wizard and select my USB-UIRT to tune the cable.

In conclusion, I'm not sure if it was because I disabled Girder or because I restarted SageTV or a combination (I had restarted SageTV before), but it now works.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I love SageTV and have used it for years (literally, since version 3 or 4). And even though I have a PVR cable box, I'm still using sage so I can integrate all of my media with one GUI (keeps the ladies in my life happy because it is simple) and I can use comskip (I actually use showanalyzer). However, I think I have discovered a possible bug in the GUI... some sort of error message or any kind of info besides a screen with options that cannot be selected would be an improvement. Now if only I can get Netflix watch now to integrate (like it does with Boxee)... time to search the forums!
Old 11-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Sage Icon

The USBUIRT drivers support it and multiple USBUIRTs in a system however I am pretty sure SageTV doesn't. I know I can't use mine with Eventghost running anyway.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Sage User

Quote:
The USBUIRT drivers support it and multiple USBUIRTs in a system however I am pretty sure SageTV doesn't. I know I can't use mine with Eventghost running anyway.
I can verify that I have Girder and SageTV both using the USB-UIRT to transmit IR codes. However, neither one is used for IR input. I use a Snapstream Firefly (with rf) for my HTPC remote. The USB-UIRT and Girder just bridge the gap so my HTPC can control all of my home theater equipment (via 1 single remote).
Old 11-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Sage Icon

Sweet I used to use and love my Firefly before, you aren't using exemultituner.dll?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Sweet I used to use and love my Firefly before, you aren't using exemultituner.dll?
No... is that for Firewire tuning? I guess I'm not really sure... but I'm not using Firewire to tune the cable box. Just the USB-UIRT. I'm already using the USB-UIRT to adjust the volume on my Onkyo Receiver (and set the proper input source) and figured I would just use it to tune the cable box too. One less configuration was my thinking. My TV has a serial input so Girder can control that too (I have tested that the USB-UIRT can control the tv too, but the serial is easy to setup and direct).

With all of that configuration, I am able to keep 1 remote in my living room... the Firefly. I have to get creative with the limited number of buttons, but I use it to turn on my tv, set the input, tell the PC to wake the monitor, start sagetv, turn on the receiver, set its input all with a single button. Then there is a button to rotate the TV and Receiver input to xbox. Took me a long time to get it all configured originally, but I always brag to people that I only have 1 remote in my living room (and since it's rf, I can use it in any room to adjust the volume or change tracks in sage). Still working to get it working well with iTunes... that is the next step.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just wanted to pipe in and say that I think that more than one app can use a USB-UIRT. I use EventGhost with my remote to control SageTV via USB-UIRT and SageTV uses the USB-UIRT to tune my STB. Works just fine.

Steve
Old 11-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Sage Icon

@#$&%!

You guys didn't have to do anything?
Old 11-30-2009, 12:42 AM
Sage User

Apparently I had to shut down Girder while I setup the USB-UIRT in SageTV, but now that its set, Girder and SageTV work fine in parallel :|

I love SageTV because it's powerful and customizable... I hate SageTV because it's powerful and customizable... It's a love hate relationship
Old 11-30-2009, 03:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
@#$&%!

You guys didn't have to do anything?
Well, in my case, I didn't have to do anything out of the ordinary, I think. Customized the IR file for my STB's remote codes and set up EventGhost with the SageTV plugin. That was pretty much it.

I did have a conflict in the beginning because I also have a PVR-350, but after stopping its own IR blaster software from running, I've had no problems.

Tags
motorola, stb, usb-uirt