SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Sage User

USB-UIRT, STB and SageTV

Does anyone have a thread link on how to set-up and configure USB-UIRT, SageTV 5 and a STB?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Administrator

This hardware section of the forum has a sticky thread for remotes/blasters with links to USB-UIRT info & chapter 5 of the PDF manual has a step by step walk through of the config screens for setting up a source in SageTV.

If you can say where you are having trouble, maybe someone can give specifics.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Sage User

Thank you, will have a look.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
This hardware section of the forum has a sticky thread for remotes/blasters with links to USB-UIRT info & chapter 5 of the PDF manual has a step by step walk through of the config screens for setting up a source in SageTV.

If you can say where you are having trouble, maybe someone can give specifics.

- Andy
The problem I have is this...
I have Tuners and STB connections.
I have my STB connected by S-Video into a PVR150 board.
When I go to a digital only channel, I have to use the STB.
There is always a delay when viewing the STB.
For example, I press CH UP and a few seconds later the TV display shows SageTV changing the channel. This is annoying.

I've tried pressing "LIVE' to get it closer and set the .properties entry for ms behind live for FF allowed (does that even help when you press live?) and still it's delayed.

Any ideas?

mcb
Athlon64 3200+ 2.0GHz, 1GB RAM, XP Home, 200GB and 300GB Barracuda HDs, Toshiba DVD/RW DL, eVGA GeForce 6600 256MB TV/HD-DVI out, WinTV-PVR-500 MCE, WinTV-PVR-150 MCE, USB UIRT + remote, XGene wireless KBD, Panasonic TH42PX60U HDTV, SA-8300HD STB on Time Warner Expanded Digital Cable San Diego, JVC receiver, Energy Take2.5 surround sound, Sony DVD player
Old 08-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Live TV in SageTV means that you are watching it as you are recoridng it.

There is no live TV in SageTV, in the sense of real-time playback as it comes into the PC. It is always recording teh video, so you will have the delay of going through the process of encoding the video, saving to disk, reading the file, decoding it & displaying it on the screen. If it weren't being recorded like this, you couldn't FF or REW, nor could you change channels & come back to the previous channel w/all the previously watched sections stil intact. Changing the times of some of those properties can minimize the delay.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Live TV in SageTV means that you are watching it as you are recoridng it.

There is no live TV in SageTV, in the sense of real-time playback as it comes into the PC. It is always recording teh video, so you will have the delay of going through the process of encoding the video, saving to disk, reading the file, decoding it & displaying it on the screen. If it weren't being recorded like this, you couldn't FF or REW, nor could you change channels & come back to the previous channel w/all the previously watched sections stil intact. Changing the times of some of those properties can minimize the delay.

- Andy
Thanks.

I have a basic question:
I've been doing a lot of tweaking on my playback via decoders, interlace, PureVideo, Overlay, etc.

Are there adjustments on how a show is recorded or just on how it is played?

mcb
Athlon64 3200+ 2.0GHz, 1GB RAM, XP Home, 200GB and 300GB Barracuda HDs, Toshiba DVD/RW DL, eVGA GeForce 6600 256MB TV/HD-DVI out, WinTV-PVR-500 MCE, WinTV-PVR-150 MCE, USB UIRT + remote, XGene wireless KBD, Panasonic TH42PX60U HDTV, SA-8300HD STB on Time Warner Expanded Digital Cable San Diego, JVC receiver, Energy Take2.5 surround sound, Sony DVD player
Old 08-09-2006, 12:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbinder
Thanks.

I have a basic question:
I've been doing a lot of tweaking on my playback via decoders, interlace, PureVideo, Overlay, etc.

Are there adjustments on how a show is recorded or just on how it is played?

mcb
Use the hauppauge tweak tool to lower your spatial and temporal filter settings. Temporal reduces the noise in the video and spatial controls the amount of motion blur. I have temporal at 5 (the cleaner your signal the lower you can set it) and spatial at 0. I've heard that people using STBs can set them both to 0, but I don't have a STB so I haven't been able to try it.

I suggest setting each of them at maximum one at a time so you can see what effect the settings have so when you're lowering them you know what to look for. Also you have to stop and restart Sage (don't forget the service if it's running) before the changes will be applied.

To avoid distorted sound on some recordings you may also need to lower the sound on the capture card. I think with the newer drivers you may have to manually edit the registry.

The tweak tool hasn't been updated in a long time and some features work with some drivers and others don't because the registry entries have changed with certain drivers. Here is a screenshot showing where to adjust the temporal and spatial settings. If you try to set them from the main tab instead of for each individual encoder like the pic shows the settings will have no affect.

You should be able to find a good bit of info about tweaking the capture card on shs's forum. A lot of it is for Pal users though.

Last edited by blade; 08-09-2006 at 12:17 PM.