SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Sage User

How do I get IR blasted into this box when mounted behind a TV and hidden?

I must be missing something simply. I have been searching forever and have this feeling that I am just missing something simple.

I was wondering if there is a way to use a USB-UIRT to blast into the HD Theater? I have one kicking around. I want to put the box on the back of a wall mount TV but have no way to get the IR back to it. Is there an easy way to do this?
Old 11-25-2009, 01:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Mirrors.
Another way would be an IR Extender. Usually not too expensive and you can stick the emitter right on the front of the HD200. RF to IR extender is another way but more expensive.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

The projector screens at work reflect the IR signal up to the projector's IR sensor very well. You could try a piece of photo paper or an index card as well.
Using reflectors will probably shrink the "acceptance window" versus having the box out in the open. You probably will have to be more straight on to the reflector.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Your local bike shop probably has a stick-on adjustable helmet mirror for about $10-$15.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Sage User

So I guess UIRT does not work

I guess the UIRT cannot be hooked up to the HD theater based on the replies. Those are some great low tech and low cost ways but I doubt they will meet WAF which can be high at times. Telling her to point it at a specific point would be tough. Especially coming from RF where it does not matter.

It seems to me that this is a huge oversight on the folks who developed the box? Why not just include a port on the back for an IR receiver like so many other product do?

I agree with the first poster a Harmony remote with an RF IR extender would probably be the simplest but not the least expensive at all. Sometimes you need to spend some $ to get the WAF.

I have also thought about using an HDMI extender. If you get the correct one they are setup to relay IR over the CAT with the HDMI signal.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

try it

I just stuffed mine behind the plasma & it still works.

Seems that the receiver's pretty sensitive & reflections off a light coloured wall / ceiling are enough.

The only thing to watch out for is that every now & then you have to power cycle the HD200 (eg when video playback wedges).

Either leave it accessable or do what I did -- wire a switch inline with the cable from the wall wart (ie low-voltage side that plugs into the back of the HD200) & velcro that near the back edge of the TV. Any problem, just flip the switch...
Old 11-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayacht View Post
It seems to me that this is a huge oversight on the folks who developed the box? Why not just include a port on the back for an IR receiver like so many other product do?
What other devices have an extention for their IR receiver? This is pretty much a universal problem and why companies like Xantech make solutions.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 11-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hot Link Pro..........works!!

http://hot-link.com/pages/products.c...tid=1&mrchid=2

Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Link-Remote-Co.../dp/B00023JJV6
Old 11-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Sage Icon

+1 for HotlinkPro. I've used it before and just couldn't remember the name of it.

It works really well for that single location where you have hidden equipment. The only downside to it is that it is not expandable. If you ever find a need to step up to a whole house IR repeater solution, you'll pretty much just have to ditch the HotLinkPro. This is what happened to me as I eventually move to a Xantech option that I use with my automation system.

But while I was only using it in the single location (in my case - a TV cabinet with solid wood doors where the rest of the equipment was hidden) it works really well.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 11-30-2009, 12:39 AM
Sage Icon

IR extension: IR over coax is popular.
IR Receiver -> coax injector -> some distance -> IR extractor -> IR emitter.