SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Scrambled channel causes HD PVR crash?

I searched for this but couldn't find an answer.

If I change channels through the SageTV media center interface on the HD PVR, it usually works.

Except ... when the channel that gets selected is a scrambled channel. If this happens, the HD PVR seems to crash, and both it and SageTV have to be restarted.
Does anyone know why this would happen?
Also, once Sage lands on a scrambled or unused channel, it is then impossible to get SageTV to display "live" TV again unless I power-cycle, restarting both the HD PVR and SageTV.
SageTV can access recordings in this state, but can't play live TV anymore.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Not sure what you mean by 'scrambled channel', but simply remove the non-working channels from your line-up.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-25-2009, 01:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Not sure what you mean by 'scrambled channel', but simply remove the non-working channels from your line-up.
A non-working or scrambled channel is one such as pay-per-view, etc, where a channel exists, but for whatever reason you haven't activated it.
And even though SageTV allows you to "remove" these channels from the channel-map, if you accidentely select these channels, SageTV will go there, like an obedient dog (as opposed to a scowling school-teacher), and attempt to tune-in what's at that channel number.
The HD PVR does the same, and then crashes.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:27 AM
Sage Icon

I have never see that problem where the HD-PVR requires a reboot after attempting to tune to a unsubscribed channel. Are you using the built-in IR blaster included with the HD-PVR, or are you using a USB-UIRT IR blaster?

Many people have HD-PVR stability problems if they try to use the build-in IR blaster. If you use the USB-UIRT IR blaster instead, the HD-PVR should be much more stable, and the channels will switch properly after you tweak the 'repeatcount' parameter in the IR file.

Dave
Old 11-25-2009, 10:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
A non-working or scrambled channel is one such as pay-per-view, etc, where a channel exists, but for whatever reason you haven't activated it.
And even though SageTV allows you to "remove" these channels from the channel-map, if you accidentely select these channels, SageTV will go there, like an obedient dog (as opposed to a scowling school-teacher), and attempt to tune-in what's at that channel number.
The HD PVR does the same, and then crashes.
The only way you can 'accidentally' go to a channel NOT in the line-up, is to preview it from the channel setup screen. I don't see how this is really a problem in practice.

That said, I am having trouble seeing how it would affect the HD-PVR if you DID select a program that you didn't have, as it's not like the box is going to be outputting some incompatible video stream. It is more than likely still putting out normal component video of the STB's notice telling you that you can't get that channel. I'm thinking you are having another problem that is locking up the HD-PVR.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Sage Icon

What type of service are you using- cable or satellite? I'm using satellite and when I go to a channel that I'm not subscribed to, I get a screen that says something like "You need to upgrade your service to view this channel, please call 1800-Blah Blah Blah".

I could see where a channel not sending out proper audio and video signals could cause the HD-PVR to crash. Others have suspected that channel strength/quality may have some role in crashing. That being said, it is purely speculation at this point.

Regarding the built in Hauppauge IR blaster - I think too many people are quick to blame the blaster when in fact the software isn't set up correctly. If helped many people use the Hauppauge blaster with extremely good results. I don't think it has any effects on the overall stability of the unit unless you are trying to use the Hauppauge blaster with more than on Hauppauge tuner with built in blasters. When you do that, it seems that the system gets confused as to which tuner is suppose to actually use the blaster.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 11-26-2009, 03:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
The only way you can 'accidentally' go to a channel NOT in the line-up, is to preview it from the channel setup screen. I don't see how this is really a problem in practice.

That said, I am having trouble seeing how it would affect the HD-PVR if you DID select a program that you didn't have, as it's not like the box is going to be outputting some incompatible video stream. It is more than likely still putting out normal component video of the STB's notice telling you that you can't get that channel. I'm thinking you are having another problem that is locking up the HD-PVR.
There are a couple of ways to get to a channel that you've removed from the SageTC channel map. Let's say your on channel 200, and the next channel in your "customized" map is 220. If you hit channel "up" from 200, it doesn't go to 220, it goes to 201 (if 201 exists in the satellite/cable lineup). And, hitting the wrong number with your fingers is another way to tune in a de-mapped channel.
It appears that these channels, since I am not subscribed, do something strange that the HD PVR can't handle.
More phone calls to Hauppauge on the way. Stay tuned.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:42 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't think I understand what your 'customized maps' are. For me, If i disable a channel from sage's channel lineup, it is not tunable from within sage, whether by keying in the numbers, or using ch-up/down. In my case, it WOULD go from 200 to 220, if that was the next enabled channel in the guide.