SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Sage Icon

Now that's what would be nice. A network version of the HD-PVR. It would also eliminate possible problems with the USB chipsets.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Sage Icon

A network attached device would be more complex and more expensive.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:22 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm betting there will be nothing other than a very minor update to the HD-PVR if that.

The only thing I know for sure coming is the new HD-MVP (as shs says) and possibly CableCard. Although I've heard nothing new on CC from them for a while.

One thing a little birdie did tell me was to expect some nice discounts on HD-PVRs this Holiday season so watch for that if your interested.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
One thing a little birdie did tell me was to expect some nice discounts on HD-PVRs this Holiday season so watch for that if your interested.
More details please? I am looking to replace my R5000, but was hoping for Black Friday special.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
More details please? I am looking to replace my R5000, but was hoping for Black Friday special.
You know as much as I know. Wasn't given more than "deals on the HD-PVR should be seen over the Holiday shopping season." I'll post something on it on GeekTonic when I know more.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
USB is a perfectly reasonable design choice. It has plenty of bandwidth, allows the device to be located near the STB for shorter analog cable runs, and works with any PC, including low-profile cases and those with no free internal slots.

A PCIe version might be useful but it would have some limitations. There's no way to fit five RCA jacks on a single card bracket, never mind S-Video and optical audio, so the card would either have to take up two slots, or have some sort of breakout dongle for all the inputs, or omit some of the input options altogether. Given that, I'd say USB was the smart choice for the first-generation product.
USB DOES make sense for an external version.. That said, there are also many who would prefer an internal card. It'd probably even be cheaper to produce (lack of power supply and case and such). And the idea that 5 RCA's wouldn't fit on the back of an expansion card is ridiculous. Heck, the older hauppauge analog cards had 3 RCA's, an S-Video, and 2 considerable more space hungry coax inputs. I don't see losing the S-Video capability as a limitation.. I wouldn't be buying an HD-PVR if I was recording S-Video anyways.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-25-2009, 06:59 PM
SageTVaholic

I think the argument for an internal HD-PVR is some hope that the stability problems with the HD-PVR is caused by USB chipsets. I'm guessing that's not really the cause in most cases.

I see a potential problem with an internal HD-PVR though. For those of us that do get lock-ups, its relatively convenient to just power cycle the HD-PVR. I'm not sure there would be an easy way to do that with an internal device.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:19 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm the one who brought up the internal version desire, and I don't even currently own one, so it's not about stability to me. For me, I'd prefer an internal version simply to reduce the box count in my system. An internal version would be much better suited to 'built-in' integration with a semi-OEM sagetv server designed for 'server-on-a-stick'.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-25-2009, 08:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I'm the one who brought up the internal version desire, and I don't even currently own one, so it's not about stability to me. For me, I'd prefer an internal version simply to reduce the box count in my system. An internal version would be much better suited to 'built-in' integration with a semi-OEM sagetv server designed for 'server-on-a-stick'.
See, I disagree there too. With USB tuners and the S-O-S you're SageTV server could be an OEM WHS or NAS device which typically have no expansion slots. In fact, i'm fairly convinced that those are going to be the types of devices targeted by the S-O-S.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Thing is, I don't see there ever being any competition to it except for CableCard. I haven't heard anything on a newer model, but I'm all for it if they do.

How would they do dual?
That should eazy it most likey end up looking something like PVR 500
And if Hauppauge was smart they should take look at what AVerMedia did to there AVerTV HD DVR - Video Cabling system.
In usb forum that would be eazy to they have change the output to input and just remove the front A/V input but far I know of nobody ever done a dual capture recoder USB device.