SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Sage Icon

Anyone know if Hauppauge is working on a new HD-PVR?

With no competitions for what it does, I think Hauppauge isn't in a rush to update it, but if they do, hopefully with these changes:

- redesigned to solve the heat problems plaguing the original design.
- lower the price.
- making it smaller would be nice.
- dual tuners in one unit, but hopefully not overheating it.

Even if SageMCTuner works out great, I think there's still a place and purpose for the HD-PVR, such as channels that are DRMed.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
With no competitions for what it does, I think Hauppauge isn't in a rush to update it
Thing is, I don't see there ever being any competition to it except for CableCard. I haven't heard anything on a newer model, but I'm all for it if they do.

Quote:
hopefully with these changes:

- redesigned to solve the heat problems plaguing the original design.
- lower the price.
- making it smaller would be nice.
- dual tuners in one unit, but hopefully not overheating it.
How would they do dual?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
How would they do dual?
Umm, imagine two HD-PVRs duct taped together, only nicer looking.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
Umm, imagine two HD-PVRs duct taped together, only nicer looking.
You could Velcro them together. That would be nicer than duct tape.

Seriously, though, why would Hauppauge build such a thing when they can sell you two single units instead? It's not like a dual-tuner device such as the HDHR where one input feeds both tuners. They'd have to double the size of the box just to accommodate a whole nother set of input jacks. And it wouldn't save you from needing a second STB, which is the real space hog. So I'm not seeing any practical advantage of a dual unit over two singles.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
And it wouldn't save you from needing a second STB, which is the real space hog.
That's why I don't see dual happening.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:15 PM
SageTVaholic

I think I'd rather see an internal model developed. x1 PCIe would be great. I imaging it'd fit just fine, and would certainly make for a 'cleaner' overall setup.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-25-2009, 12:24 AM
SageTVaholic

I'd be shocked if they didn't release a new version at CES this year. That thing has been a PITA for them since the moment they released it, I can't imagine they don't have a better design ready to go.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:46 AM
SageTVaholic

I don't know, having a one-in-the-market device that makes a great profit is hardly a PITA...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-25-2009, 06:45 AM
Sage Icon

If Hauppauge is improving the HD-PVR, they should increase the stability, eliminate the overheating problem, and make their own IR blaster usable.

The video files created should be mpeg2, not TS format. TS is not as easy to edit as mpeg2. The VideoReDo beta suite works to edit TS format, but not as smoothly and easy to use as editing mpeg2 files. I haven't found any other video editing program that works as well for TS files.

Finally, a dual tuner would be better if the cost was cheaper that buying two separate units. If the size was a larger to house the dual tuners, that would be trivial. If it's a problem, your room is too tiny and you need a bigger room for your SageTV server and accessory devices!

Dave
Old 11-25-2009, 07:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I think I'd rather see an internal model developed. x1 PCIe would be great. I imaging it'd fit just fine, and would certainly make for a 'cleaner' overall setup.
I also would like to see a single slot internal model developed
x1 PCIe or x4 PCIe if needed
dual hardware encoder with a break out box for the dual component and sound inputs

Server: Intel i7-930 CPU @ 2.8GHz , 300GB HD, 24GB DDR3, Win 10 64-bit, (2) 2TB HD for recording
Capture Devices: 2xHD Homerun Prime 3 (CableCard) = 6 Tuners (Spectrum, TV package: Select), 1xHauppauge WinTv 885 (4 tuners OTA), 1xHauppauge WinTv-7164 (2 tuners OTA), Schedules Direct EPG
NAS: Synology DS1618+ 26.2TB Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR)
Sage Add-ons: Comskip Plug-in
Eventghost 0.5.0-RC4, Java Version: 1.8.0_172 (32-bit), Harmony 880, USB-UIRT
Old 11-25-2009, 08:32 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scat View Post
I also would like to see a single slot internal model developed
x1 PCIe or x4 PCIe if needed
dual hardware encoder with a break out box for the dual component and sound inputs
Excellent sugguestion. Connecting the HD-PVR to a computer with USB is just a stupid design. PCI makes no sense either, since it's on the way out to join ISA as another obsolete slot technology. PCI-e would be the best choice as you mentioned.

Dave
Old 11-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
If Hauppauge is improving the HD-PVR, they should increase the stability, eliminate the overheating problem, and make their own IR blaster usable.
Dave
I know you have probably seen this thread, but I honestly thing any Hauppauge IR issue is user setup related. Once set up properly (most people don't install all three required IR programs), I haven't ever had a problem and I've help a lot of people get their IR blaster working correctly. I don't think it is a Hauppauge problem. Perhaps some people's STBs don't work well with the stock IR settings, etc which can make it difficult to set up initially. But I think the hardware is sound. It's just one of those things where there are so many variables outside of Hauppauges control that could effect the IR results or people simple do not set up the hardware/software correctly from the beginning.

EDIT - the one exception would be for Hauppauge to get the IR blaster to work well with other Hauppauge IR blasters. That clearly is a shortcoming of the current design.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all

Last edited by sic0048; 11-25-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the link. I did not do step 8, re-install SageTV at that point in time when installing the HD-PVR. SageTV did get installed again later when a SageTV version upgrade. So, maybe the Hauppauge IR might work on the HD-PVR. Although I might have clipped the jack from the supplied LED cable to use it for multizoning my USB-UIRT. So I might need a new cable to test it.

Dave
Old 11-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Excellent sugguestion. Connecting the HD-PVR to a computer with USB is just a stupid design. PCI makes no sense either, since it's on the way out to join ISA as another obsolete slot technology. PCI-e would be the best choice as you mentioned.

Dave
My vote for an internal version as well
Old 11-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
I'd be shocked if they didn't release a new version at CES this year. That thing has been a PITA for them since the moment they released it, I can't imagine they don't have a better design ready to go.
unless they are going to let the line die because of all the problems and concerns over analog going away.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
The video files created should be mpeg2, not TS format. TS is not as easy to edit as mpeg2. The VideoReDo beta suite works to edit TS format, but not as smoothly and easy to use as editing mpeg2 files. I haven't found any other video editing program that works as well for TS files.
Dave
That would be a step backwards. mpeg4/h.264 offers better compression compared to mpeg2. TS is just a container. What matters is what's inside.

It's not really Hauppauges fault that editing options for h.264 are limited. But this is going to get better over time. There are already a couple of editors out there.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Same here but far I know of there nothing coming other then HD MediaMVP.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
They didn't design the chip inside the HD-PVR that does the real-time encoding to Mpeg4. My understanding is that these were developed for camcorders. I'm not even sure something comparable for MPEG2 exists. Not that I'd want it personally... just a big step backwards, although I agree easier to work with in the short-term.

I seriously doubt Hauppauge is working on a new version. They appear to have limited resources, have no competition, and no interest in even getting the first one working properly.

Last edited by Chriscic; 11-25-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Connecting the HD-PVR to a computer with USB is just a stupid design.
USB is a perfectly reasonable design choice. It has plenty of bandwidth, allows the device to be located near the STB for shorter analog cable runs, and works with any PC, including low-profile cases and those with no free internal slots.

A PCIe version might be useful but it would have some limitations. There's no way to fit five RCA jacks on a single card bracket, never mind S-Video and optical audio, so the card would either have to take up two slots, or have some sort of breakout dongle for all the inputs, or omit some of the input options altogether. Given that, I'd say USB was the smart choice for the first-generation product.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Connecting the HD-PVR to a computer with USB is just a stupid design.
I couldn't disagree more. Now that USB is more than fast enough to handle recording 1 to 2 streams at a time, making a tuner that's internal is a poor decision. Heck, i'd even go a step further and say the HDHR network tuner is the best design out there.

Last edited by evilpenguin; 11-25-2009 at 02:08 PM.