SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:42 AM
Sage User

Question Best Interface only using for Movies Music and DVD

2 Questions for a newbie:

1) Anyone know how to setup SageTV to setup folders it's putting all movies into 1 screen would like to sort in folders as is on hard drive (movies) - (kids shows) - (tv shows) etc.

2) Is there an interface already setup that anyone can suggest that is setup for just movies, music and photos? We are not using it with live tv, and no pvr features needed.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Sage Icon

You could use the Dynamic Menu plugin with the default sage UI, and remove the live tv. I use SageMC, which also includes that plugin. I've removed the things from the UI that I don't use (Play DVD since I use extenders), and in the video library, you can select Folder View, which shows your library formatted in the folders you have them in now on the drives (I believe you can use this same library view in the default UI as well FYI).
Old 11-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Sage User

Is there instructions for that? I can't find it.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Sage Icon

Check on the Dynamic Menus thread for the default STV, it should tell you how to add/remove menu options once it's installed. Just remove the TV options, and save the new menus to the default menu. As for the folder view, I don't use the default STV (and haven't in years at this point), so I'm not sure what option you select, but there should be one that lets you view your library in a file system structure, exactly like you have them stored on the drive.

You may also want to look at other options for your setup, as I think Sage's main strengths really lie in it's PVR abilities. I know the music section is lacking in options/features compared to other software. Something like Media Portal may be more what you're looking for. That's unless you're wanting to use extender boxes at the TV's to access the content from the server.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Sage User

What interface are you using? Can I try it out?

And yes we are going to be using 2 SageTV HD Extenders for 2 other TV's in the house.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Sage Icon

I use the default STV and nielm's dynamic customizable menus ("DCM"), as heffe suggested.

First, search for that thread (look under the sticky above for customizations and find that thread, the first post will take you to the installation). Install that plugin per the instructions (I don't know if they have been updated recently so it might be even easier than they say).

Once you have it installed, you can use the "options" button on any menu to pull up the plugin menu. It allows you to add new screen links, remove them, or move them around (up/down). It also allows you to copy a menu and paste a link to it somewhere else.

So set up your movies in the folders as you wish, but all within one big folder. Then go to videos and go to the folder view (from the various views at the top). You should be able to navigate to a point where you have a screen showing all your category folders that you created (this is presumably the view you are looking for... I hope). At this point, hit "options", and find the menu choice where you can copy that view (I am not at home right now to tell you what that is called but you should be able to figure it out).

Then go to the menu where you want the link - presumably the main menu. Hit "options" again, and then find the choice to paste in a new menu link. Give it a name (like "Movie Collection" or whatever). While there, also delete any other links you don't want. When you have done all this, be sure to do "file/save" within the DCM menu so it sticks!

You should then have a main menu link that, when you click on it, will take you directly to a folder view of your movies. You can, of course, use the standard Sage menu to set up how many folders wide-by-high you want the screen, based on how many folders you actually create.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.