SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-06-2009, 06:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

can't import movies or music

I just discovered I can't import music or movies.
I tried to import a folder of miles davis. it wouldn't show up. So I created a new import folder of just THAT folder. it shows up in music but is empty (yes the music is there).

next I saw I couldn't import movies. I deleted the import folder, renamed it then added the new import folder name. The movies are still listed but the file size is shown as zero (0.0GB).
I found some other threads saying BMT might be the cause but I don't use BMT.

does anyone have any ideas?

edit: found out when I logged in to my shared folders usign samba (linux) it was changing my folders to read only

Last edited by setherd; 09-06-2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: resolved
Old 09-06-2009, 12:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Hard to say without more details about your setup, but it sounds like it could be a permissions issue. Are the import folders on the same machine as your Sage server, or are they network shares? Do you access them using drive letters or UNC paths? Do you run Sage as a service, and if so, does it log in as LocalSystem or with a user account? Does that user have permission to access those directories?

Usually when people have these sorts of issues it's because they tried to access mapped drive letters from the SageTV service (can't be done; use UNC paths instead) or because the service is logged in as LocalSystem (which is limited to local drive letters only; no mapped drives or UNC paths).
Old 09-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well I've been using sage for about 4+ years. this is a stand alone box.
Vista 32bit, the media folders are just shared folders on a the hard drives.
the only thing I can think of I did recently was add another user to the computer. I setup a user just to play around with remote logins from my laptop.

Earlier today I deleted all my import folders. did a rescan. sage showed me as having NO music or videos.
I then added 1 video folder ( I have 2). did the rescan and they all showed up. I thought the problem was solved! but then I added my music and other video folder and did a rescan. nothing new showed up-- except my music folder had folders for wach artist and album but NO songs in anything.
I'm not sure what to check for. This system has been mostly problem free the past 2 years.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

OK apparently when I logged in from my linux laptop the otherday, samba set my folders to read only. Vista showed me as having full permission. and I could write new data to the fodlers and delete things which was weird. after I reset my permissions then rescanned my import folders everything is working.