SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 11-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Sage User

Verizon Droid - Any chance for an extender?

Okay, I finally settled on an iPhone 3GS today, before learning about the about the Motorola droid?

I have 30 days to back out before I'm locked into a 2-year contract. Since this phone is open-source, etc what are the chances that you all will be watching SageTV on your droids before my contract expires?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Once Droid arrives in Canada... i can assure you the chances will be very good that it will attempted I was going to get the Hero, but after hearing rumours that Droid should be comming here within the next 6months to a year, I've decided to hold off my purchase until the droid arrives.

I'd never consider writing a placeshifter type client for the iphone, but I will give this attempt for android (if someone doesn't beat me to it).
Old 11-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Sage User

Get ORB

I use it with a LG Dare and a Blackberry Storm.

search Google for ORB
Old 11-08-2009, 10:01 PM
SageTVaholic

My wife is very likely picking up a Droid for Christmas.. I'd also like to see some sort of Sage app, though I doubt full placeshifter status could be easily achived. Though I guess yo unever know. Not sure the level of java implementation Google's thrown in there. Never know, maybe it's as simple as running the miniclient.jar... though I doubt it...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-08-2009, 10:37 PM
SageTVaholic

I doubt there's much luck of having miniclient.jar actually run on it... but given there is a java sdk for creating android apps, means that I'll be more likely to do something.

I'll probably try the miniclient.jar route... but after abandoning that, I'll probably just write an implementation that has it's own screens... basically a native app that reproduces the "core" functionality that I need, and leverages streaming from the webserver.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:48 PM
SageTVaholic

The VLC streaming functionality is pretty limited. Unless something has changed, you can't fast forward or rewind. I also think that the set of codecs it can encode to is fairly limited. Actually, that's probably not fair- I think it actually supports a lot of different codecs, it's just that often phones support a fairly small number of formats. And, even though wmv works on my phone using Core Player Mobile, it seems to be very fussy about the particular parameters I set. I think the problems are on the VLC side, not the Core Player side, but I didn't do enough testing to know for sure.

Off the top of my head I don't see a terribly good reason to go with a native app instead of just a web app. The Jetty mobile web interface is probably a good start, but I suspect you'll have to make major changes to the webserver if you want to get streaming with fast forward and rewind to work.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
The VLC streaming functionality is pretty limited. Unless something has changed, you can't fast forward or rewind.
For my purposes, I'm ok with that. Pause would be the biggest feature that I'd need.

Quote:
Off the top of my head I don't see a terribly good reason to go with a native app instead of just a web app. The Jetty mobile web interface is probably a good start, but I suspect you'll have to make major changes to the webserver if you want to get streaming with fast forward and rewind to work.
I have no idea how I'd actually get a placeshifter type app running on android, but that shouldn't stop me from trying I'll probably look into it, and if there's no compelling reason to create an app, then I probably won't... or at least I won't release it. I think that a native app would offer a better user experience in terms of responsiveness and "effects". But overall, it would duplicate the functionality that exists in the web applications for sure. Also, a native app could actually run in the background and provide somewhat real time event notifcations to the android notification system when sage events happen on the server.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I have no idea how I'd actually get a placeshifter type app running on android, but that shouldn't stop me from trying
I can't code worth a damn, but I'd be willing to pay a bounty to help you write this app.

I expect to get my Motorola Droid in the mail today.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
I can't code worth a damn, but I'd be willing to pay a bounty to help you write this app.

I expect to get my Motorola Droid in the mail today.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it I suspect that it will be sometime in the new year before I get the droid, and I probably won't look at this until after I get it.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

My son and I were the early morning geeks on release day ( 11/6 ) out there getting ours. The phone is amazing, couple technical glitches ( autofocus on camera is the biggest atm ) but nothing you wouldnt expect with brand new release. They have already posted a patch list that will be released by 12/11 so gotta love the fix turn around.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Sage User

Why get the Droid? Checkout the Nokia N900 and prepare to wrap up your droids for return!

http://mobilementalism.com/2009/09/1...martphone-yet/
Old 11-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
Why get the Droid? Checkout the Nokia N900 and prepare to wrap up your droids for return!

http://mobilementalism.com/2009/09/1...martphone-yet/
From that review.

Conclusion:

I’m not sure I can recommend it over the iPhone or the Android phones – it’s not quite better than them

Not to mention he still uses google maps, which with the Droid we get full google navigator with street view layers all free. This phone rocks.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Not to mention one of the Droid's biggest advantages... Verizon

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Not to mention one of the Droid's biggest advantages... Verizon
Of course Verizon probably locks out the GPS so you have to pay for their $10/month VZ Navigator. At least that is the case with my Verizon BB.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands View Post
Of course Verizon probably locks out the GPS so you have to pay for their $10/month VZ Navigator. At least that is the case with my Verizon BB.
Nope. Verizon doesn't lock the GPS. (and I *think* they said they won't on all future phones too)
Old 11-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Sage User

"Not to mention one of the Droid's biggest advantages... Verizon"

No Verizon in Canada. In fact, I don't think there is any network at or near the 4 G level here. Lolz.

I think all these phones are similar, it all depends on personal preference and needs. The N900 has full firefox built in. Since my daily radius of travel is no more than 10 blocks, I'll have to be very drunk to require a fully featured GPS.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
VZ navigator and Vcast not even available on Droid, of course why would they because who would pay for it on this phone?
Old 11-15-2009, 07:39 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
Looks like an HTC clone to me.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Any phone with the GOOGLE logo on it, including the DROID, is guaranteed to be a standard build of Android and un-messed-around-with. The DROID Eris, with Sense, is not a GOOGLE branded phone. Or, at least, it doesn;'t say "with Google" on the back.
1x STX-HD100
3x STP-HD200
@cliftpompee
Old 11-15-2009, 01:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Actually, there are many variances with android phones. The Droid is the only phone that runs Android 2.0. It's also the fastest hardware.