SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Any chance of a TV episode plugin?

Hey guys, I have been using Meedio for a long time but have really started to enjoy the powerful and easy recording of Sage. The reason I still to this day use Meedio is the awesome TV On Demand plugin. You can see it's details here,

http://www.meedio.com/maid/detail.ph...-6E1BF3997EA7}

The reason I like it so much is I can have all my encoded TV eps (~400 .avi's) and also add my DVD box set collection. Is there ANY chance of a plugin for Sage that ties into TVTome.com the way TV On Demand does? It would be really awesome if there was... I could then stick to one frontend!

Thanks guys,
iSage Theme
Old 02-17-2005, 04:11 AM
Sage Expert

Agree TVoD is incredible. Having this work with Sage's recorded TV library would be simply the best possible. Truthfully, the idea of TVoD and recorded TV is keeping me seriously interested in MeeTV developments. Especially since my EPG source is not that great.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:52 AM
Sage Fanatic

Just wondering, is it that TVoD gives more/better information than the EPG? Most of my shows have adequate information, but I do have some episodes that do not include any show info, does TVoD have episode numbers that can match-up with the EPG episode numbers to possibly fill in the missing info?
Old 02-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Sage User

The Tv on Demand plugin is the main reason I'm still with Meedio. I would love to use the Sage MC customization as my main frontend, but I have a lot of archived shows and the info and organization you get with the Tv on Demand plugin is awesome.

If someone made this for Sage... I would have to think about movin to Sage especially with the delays in Meedio TV
Old 02-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

i'm a big supporter of meedio - i use it as my front end and use it for watching DVDs and listening to music (both of which are subpar in Sage). However, meedioTV is a joke. Sage is light years ahead of meedio. It will be many many years before meedio will be close to where sage currently is.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Exactly! SageTV's PVR functionality is light years beyond Meedio's... and probably will be for some time. Yet the plugins available for Meedio are much much better than Sage's. Man, it's a toss up!

To answer your question rsagetv99, no the guide doesn't even come close to what the TV On Demand plugin does. I (and many others) have a lot of downloaded TV eps, recorded TV eps, and a huge ass TV DVD collection that we'd like to manage with a single front-end. Don't get me wrong, Meedio does an incredible job at this but I was thinking that if Sage could do it this well, than I wouldn't need Meedio and I could stick to one application.

For now it doesn't look like it's coming, but hopefully a developer will think it's a good idea too, and maybe we'll get some results

Cheers,
iSage Theme
Old 02-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Sage Icon

Does Meedio have client software as well? I do not like the client version of Sage, I have had too many problems with it so far. Also, does Meedio play more formats than Sage? I encode my dvd's and recorded shows in Xvid and Nero mp4...

Maybe I should look into Meedio?
Old 02-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Sage User

Its really unfortunate that Frey wont release an SDK for the gui and customizations. To be honest its what I dislike most about sage.

There are so many little tweaks which would be amazing. (like not needing to rescan your whole media library just to read a tv episode disc, XM radio streaming support etc) Unfortunately Frey seems completely disinterested in allowing users to customize. (note that the STV's being developed are by a small group of people who were allow to have access to Freys SDK, not random users)

<sigh> I bought sage and am generally happy with its TV support (it works WAY better than Mediaportal and GBpvr and it doesnt have BTV's little quirks) but im just waiting for a more complete htpc app as I dont think frey is going to release its dev kit so people can make the customizations they want.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by agover
Its really unfortunate that Frey wont release an SDK for the gui and customizations. To be honest its what I dislike most about sage.

There are so many little tweaks which would be amazing. (like not needing to rescan your whole media library just to read a tv episode disc, XM radio streaming support etc) Unfortunately Frey seems completely disinterested in allowing users to customize. (note that the STV's being developed are by a small group of people who were allow to have access to Freys SDK, not random users)

<sigh> I bought sage and am generally happy with its TV support (it works WAY better than Mediaportal and GBpvr and it doesnt have BTV's little quirks) but im just waiting for a more complete htpc app as I dont think frey is going to release its dev kit so people can make the customizations they want.
I happen to completely agree with you. Anyone who has used Meedio before knows that this is Meedio's REAL power, and thus why so many people use it. Being able to have an extensible program is what makes these apps so great. Every single user has a different idea about how he/she wants to use their HTPC. For example, a Skype plugin was just released for Meedio... how useful!

Ah well, hopefully Frey will do something about it.
iSage Theme
Old 02-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbell
I happen to completely agree with you. Anyone who has used Meedio before knows that this is Meedio's REAL power, and thus why so many people use it. Being able to have an extensible program is what makes these apps so great. Every single user has a different idea about how he/she wants to use their HTPC. For example, a Skype plugin was just released for Meedio... how useful!

Ah well, hopefully Frey will do something about it.

Travis,

Are you using meedio? Has it improved any in the last bit? Also how well does it link in with Sage as a tv service?

The media services in Sage are just brutal, my htpc has just way too many files (a media refresh is taking like 3-5 minutes - something like 800 video files and 1800 music files) and temp files (ie files on dvd) require media refresh everytime. Not to mention that video playlists keep crashing (hard crashing) sage after 2-3 files.

Thanks

Adam
Old 02-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Sage User

If Frey ever publicly released Sage Studio and their SDK developers such as myself could develop such plugins. Just think about it...the more plugins and features that the community develops the more popular Sage could become. Anyway here's hoping that Frey releases the SDK soon :-(
Old 02-19-2005, 05:03 AM
Sage Expert

From the perspective of a HTPC noob, I fully agree with you spyork.

@Agover: Umm, improved since? When was the last time you tried it? I am not sure how copecetic it is to discuss a rival product but Meedio is definately the best front end right now IMO. Sage and Meedio don't really have direct integration. Take a look here for how it works with Meedio as the front end: http://www.meedio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17342, Or check here for using Meedio with Sage as the front end: (thanks to mostlyfodder!) http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ead.php?t=9434.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkshadow
From the perspective of a HTPC noob, I fully agree with you spyork.

@Agover: Umm, improved since? When was the last time you tried it? I am not sure how copecetic it is to discuss a rival product but Meedio is definately the best front end right now IMO. Sage and Meedio don't really have direct integration. Take a look here for how it works with Meedio as the front end: http://www.meedio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17342, Or check here for using Meedio with Sage as the front end: (thanks to mostlyfodder!) http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ead.php?t=9434.
Silkshadow: Lol that was a bit vague (mildly put) - I tried it when essentials was first released last year. It was pretty but I didnt think it offered anything special to validate the $60.00US price tag. I asked about the integration because Ive found that Sage wont play nicely with other packages - and im still having some stability issues with sage in and of itself.

As to discussing a rival product in reality Meedio Essentials cant really be compared directly with Sage as essentials really is just a front end and media player - as opposed to Sage which is a pvr software with a limited subset of options to play other media. I kind of thought of it as a complimentary software package as opposed to a competeing product. (Meedio TV I would consider competeing if it is ever released)
Old 02-23-2005, 01:04 AM
Sage Expert

In that case , Meedio has come a long way. Definately worth a look for you again. I agree the price tag is a bit high. I posted about that in another thread . But, is it worth it? Thats really subjective . I think so, as I did buy it. You can avail of a discount so its ~$USD40. I am not sure if the coupon still is valid though. The discount code is posted in Meedio's forums. As far as Sage playing well with Meedio, I've had no problems. I now run Meedio with Sage TV and Sage client (on different boxes) and, besides a DVD issue I have on the box with Sage client, I've had no issues.

I agree with you, right now, that Meedio and Sage are a hand-in had kind of thing. One has TV and weak music/video/plugin/etc use and the other has no TV. However, that will change soon. So it *could* become a race, maybe in 6 months when MeedioTV has caught up with Sage. Its also possible MeeTV will catchup alot faster. Depends on how the community recieves it. The strength of Meedio is the ability for anyone with know-how to add features and/or make Meedio better. Given that, MeeTV could catchup and, maybe, surpass Sage in a short period of time. *shrug*