SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Sage User

Playback via network worked once now fails

I have installed Hauppauge, HomeRun and HD 200. The 200 got current firmware per instructions. I install Sage using as much of the default stuff as possible.

The 200 shows up last and I go through the motions and it WORKs. First time, it works. I was impressed.

I watch one movie via the 200 tonight perfectly using the SageTV server. I then try to watch anything else via the 200 and I get a sage.playbackexception error. This error occurs if I use the HD 200 to view network folder contents and try to play a movie that way or if I try to use the SageTv server for movies or live TV (even though the live TV is playing perfectly on the SageTV PC screen). It browses perfectly but fails on content playback.

I started with a cheap Cisco switch. I received my HP switch today and have tried that. It did not help which is no surprise given the SageTv PC plays HomeRun content perfectly. I have powered down everything and rebooted with no effect. I turned the SageTV PC's firewall off without effect.

Can someone shed some light on why it would all work perfectly for one movie then suffer what appears to be bandwidth related failure?
Old 11-05-2009, 05:44 AM
Sage User

Just for grins, I tried viewing some internet based content (TED Talks) and, like trying to play back from the network or the SageTV server, I get the same error. I can browse to find content but the HD 200 will not play any of it back no matter what the source.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:43 AM
Sage User

I did the disconnect power, hold down remote DELETE button then reconnect power complete reset which fixed the problem (whatever it was and whatever caused it). I think this proves that the HD200 is a stand alone computer with an opperating system and an application running. It sure crashes like one. It took just one video playback to get a Microsoft like problem Lucky for me the fix was easy.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Sage User

OK
Just two words for people
BUYER BEWARE

I am on my sixth pull the power, hold down the delete button on the remote and then plug the power back in to do a complete reset cycle. The HD200 just stops playing video. PERIOD. It does not matter if it is internet or local content. It just gives you a playback error after you navigate to the source.

Has anyone else had this problem or do I need to do a fomal service ticket and get this thing RMA'd?

Update
I normally look at the TED Talks as a test of internet content playback first. It will play back this content after a complete hard reset (remote delete key while powering up). It then searches for server based content then gets a playback exception when trying to play the media. I just did a hard reset and tried playing server content first and, like the internet content, it works perfectly the first time. I have yet to try it the second time (my girl wants to watch the movie playing) but I suspect it will fail.

The issue must be with the HD200 as I have managed to play content from both server as a SageTV media extender and directly from the internet using the HD200 local services.

Now the HD200 is freezing and the video output is skewed. The problems appear to be temperature related indicating a hardware problem.

Last edited by lolachampcar; 11-07-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Sage User

Update
Now using Beta firmware and shut everything down for a day and it all works. I have no idea if it was the Beta firmware or the day long shut down. I am just happy it is working.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Is it still working for you?

I seem to have the same problem as you had. Im using the latest beta firmware. Did a bug report.

Rasmus
Server: Win7 • SageTV v7.1.9 • GA-MA785GM-US2H • Athlon 64 X2 BE-2350 • 2 Gb RAM • 4x 1Tb WD RE-2 GP in RAID5, Adaptec 5405 Raid controller • 2x firewire DVB-C FloppyDTV C/CI, 1x TechnoTrend CT-3650 CI via the LM Smart DVB Recorder plug-in.

Clients: HD300 to a Samsung PS50C7705 (PN50C8000) via a DVDO Edge • HD200 • Placeshifter

Remote: Universal Remote Control MX-980
Old 11-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Sage User

I now have three HD200s in three different rooms with ZERO issues

Each of the new ones received Beta firmware when they arrived so I did not have a chance to replicate the problem.

Short story, three of three working fine on Beta.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

That sounds good

Sage thinks that my problem is due to native resolution switching. I've disabled that so now we'll see.

Rasmus
Server: Win7 • SageTV v7.1.9 • GA-MA785GM-US2H • Athlon 64 X2 BE-2350 • 2 Gb RAM • 4x 1Tb WD RE-2 GP in RAID5, Adaptec 5405 Raid controller • 2x firewire DVB-C FloppyDTV C/CI, 1x TechnoTrend CT-3650 CI via the LM Smart DVB Recorder plug-in.

Clients: HD300 to a Samsung PS50C7705 (PN50C8000) via a DVDO Edge • HD200 • Placeshifter

Remote: Universal Remote Control MX-980
Old 11-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Sage User

The problem has now returned. This time I have three HD200s and can swap them out on the same TV. The problem does not seem to be HD200 related as much as the Sage server. I restart the server AND pull the power on the HD200 seems to reset the issue. I am also seeing halt in my Homerun recording.

Does this combination of events look familiar to anyone?

BTW
Vista, No Plugins, Homerun... That is it.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Sage User

I am now up to three HD200s and believe that bulk transfer of ripped DVDs from one machine on the network to the Sage server's media folders is causing my problem. I have to physically pull the power on each of the HD200s to get them to play content again even though each can see the Sage server and navigate the interface just fine. I think this problem is also related to Sage loosing the ability to tune any channels on my HDHR even though it "sees" both tuners just fine. Again, the Sage "browse" element works while the streaming element does not. I am not sure if it is a Sage problem or a switch problem although I have tried two different switches (DLink and HP).
Old 11-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have the same issue as you are having. Works fine for about a day or so then won't play anything. Been in contact multiple times with tech support, last communication was about 2 months ago...no resolution. I have to power cycle the HD200 and all is fine for about a day.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:30 AM
Sage User

Just wanted to chime in here and say I experienced the same issue for what appears to be the exact same reason. Playback exceptions immediately after copying a ripped DVD from one PC on my network to the Sage server. Hard reset worked. Seems like a good candidate for a bug report.