SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I always run the SageTV service, but sometimes I also run the SageTV application. I SageTV application was running on the SageTV computer. I don't know if that causes the HD-PVR to become unstable. I tried shutting off the SageTV application on the SageTV service, since it runs headless. I normally use two HD-200 extenders.

Dave
It sounds like you already tried it, but if not, run only SageTVService.exe (no SageTV.exe) on the headless server and see if that makes the lock-ups go away.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

I officially hate the HD-PVR. It is clearly the worst piece of hardware I have in the Sage setup.

I was having lockups once ever few days and some channel change issues with IR and upgraded my server to a new PC with a new install. I followed the instructions here on the forum on how to install the HD-PVR in hopes of eliminating any lockup issues. It ended up being 10x worse and having huge IR issues.

I switched to serial control (hardware found here) and reinstalled the drivers (the most current ones) without uninstalling the old ones or doing any of the suggest things as sort of a last ditch effort before I gave up completely and now in a week I've not had a single lockup or channel change issue!

That is nice in that I no longer have an issue, but kinda sucks in that I don't have any clue why I don't have an issue. The whole thing is running rock solid for the last week, recorded 4 shows at the same time last night, no problem.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serra View Post
I officially hate the HD-PVR. It is clearly the worst piece of hardware I have in the Sage setup.

I was having lockups once ever few days and some channel change issues with IR and upgraded my server to a new PC with a new install. I followed the instructions here on the forum on how to install the HD-PVR in hopes of eliminating any lockup issues. It ended up being 10x worse and having huge IR issues.

I switched to serial control (hardware found here) and reinstalled the drivers (the most current ones) without uninstalling the old ones or doing any of the suggest things as sort of a last ditch effort before I gave up completely and now in a week I've not had a single lockup or channel change issue!

That is nice in that I no longer have an issue, but kinda sucks in that I don't have any clue why I don't have an issue. The whole thing is running rock solid for the last week, recorded 4 shows at the same time last night, no problem.
Look around the room carefully. Look for things out of place... Maybe someone is hiding the Rubber Chicken near by your HDPVR's.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportera View Post
Thanks again, and please update this thread if you start seeing any lockups again.
As promised, I am reporting that I am having problems now after the system was running rock solid for weeks.

What is happening in my case now, is that SageTVService.exe becomes non-responsive (I cannot kill it) and according to SageTV support looking at my debug logs, it's the HD-PVR locking it up.

The funny thing is that if I stop SageTV.exe from running and only leave SageTVService.exe running on my PVR, then SageTVService.exe does not freeze (for now, time will tell).

Oh well, new sympton weird and yes frustrating.

Last edited by joe123; 05-25-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Many of us agree and feel your pain! I wonder what SageTV V7 is doing to help with the HD-PVR problems and why won't they add it to V6?
Old 06-04-2010, 05:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

from what i see in 7 it tries to reconnect automatically repeatedly if the thing craps out. dont quote my on this but in the past I had to reset the whole pc when it crapped out now i think i can just reset the hdpvr.

but put it this way, after moving to 7 i still saw same issues, maybe less often but i decided to rma my box.. no in their defense i had one of the first boxes, bought it the first week so I have just been living with it for a long time. I am waiting until either a new recorder comes out or I switch to multiroom directv and drop a bunch of features for sanity.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by personalt View Post
and drop a bunch of features for sanity.
I can really relate to the last part, the sanity part.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hauppauge Software Bug?

SageTV support looked at my SageTV debug files and they said that my HDPVR is bad (hardware). I really don't believe that since so many here are having same type of problems and this is my 2nd HDPVR with the same exact issues.

So I wrote Hauppauge about what SageTV support said and here is their response:
Hello,

We have been looking into random lock up issues with the HD-PVR and currently are working on a fix. We are looking into an issues with the IR blaster causing an issue and we are in talks with the manufacture of the chipset inside the unit to come up with a solution.

Is it possible that your unit has a hardware problem, yes possible, but if we exchange the unit and you still have the issue then it probably falls into this issue that we are already looking into.

If you want to send it in for a replacement, we would need your address and phone number.

regards,
Jerry Henriquez

jhenriquez@hauppauge.com

Technical Support
Hauppauge Computer Works
New York
So the good news is that the manufacture Hauppauge may have found the bug - this is the first time I have seen them admitting to any bug with the HDPVR.

Now I am waiting for Hauppauge to release the fix but they are taking their time. If any of you want to write Jerry H. at Hauppauge that would be great so that Hauppauge knows just how many here are being affected by the HDPVR lock ups and get this resolved asap.

Last edited by joe123; 06-06-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

It's been known for more than a year that there are IR related problems. While it's good that Hauppauge finally acknowledges this, I hope it won't take them another year to release a fix...
Old 06-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post
It's been known for more than a year that there are IR related problems. While it's good that Hauppauge finally acknowledges this, I hope it won't take them another year to release a fix...
I did not know that.

So this begs to ask. Anyone here having HD-PVR lock-ups AND NOT using the Hauppauge IR blaster?
Old 06-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123 View Post
I did not know that.

So this begs to ask. Anyone here having HD-PVR lock-ups AND NOT using the Hauppauge IR blaster?
Yes.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
Yes.

So SageTV V7 does not fix the HD-PVR lock-ups reading posts here. Hauppauage claims bugs with their software but has no fix.

We are really ROYALLY SCREWED.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Sage Icon

There are still some people that have it working. I for one have 4 working very well in my environment.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred View Post
There are still some people that have it working. I for one have 4 working very well in my environment.
Mine works as well. It's pretty stable (~98%). I just commented above how Hauppauge seems to be treating this case (yes many problems related to the hdpvr can be worked around, but it seems that an updated driver/firmware should deal with some of the problems instead...)
Old 06-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred View Post
What drivers are you using? Also, are you using the Hauppauge IR Blaster?
Old 06-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post
Mine works as well. It's pretty stable (~98%)
Mine has been much better since I upgraded my PVR system, but still, I am around 95% stable.

The problem is that small percent 1-5% can make all the difference in the world when your favorite shows does not record and it's 6 more months before they show it again.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

I do not use IR. I use Directv serial to USB direct from PC to DTV receivers. I have the IR window taped with black tape on both my E1 HD-PVR's. I was getting occasional lockups running Sage v6. I've only had one since installing v7 and I think I caused that one playing around with BIOS settings on WHS PC.
Server: Sage WHS 7.0.9 - Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz, 4GB ram, 160GB(system) + 300GB(data) pooled HD, 400GB + 1TB non-pooled HD, MSI 9400GT video, 4-port serial, Windows Home Server 2003, 2-DTV H20 receivers, 2-HD-PVR E1 tuners, 2-Patterson usb translators for DTV usb to serial channel select control
Client 1: Sage Client 7.0.9 - Core 2 Duo E6300, 4GB ram, 400GB HD, Xonar 7.1 Audio, Blu-ray DVD, Asus 9500GT video with HDMI connect to Denon 3310CI and 60" LG Plasma, Windows 7 32bit
Old 06-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Still HATE the HDPVR. I just wanted to update everyone on my issues. As I said, I was having issues, I changed to a new PC with a totally clean install and following the wonderful guide, I was able to go from a few lockups a week to 3 or 4 lockups a day! Basically, a useless HDPVR.

So, I stopped using it for a few days and pondered what to do. Lots of ideas with hammers and really long tosses came to mind. However, I opted to do two things. I took the IR off the box and switched to serial (Directv) and I reinstalled the firmware with the most current version. Didn't do anything special, just reinstalled it. (As I posted above)

So, now it has been about 3 weeks under the new system and no lockups no issues what-so-ever. Works perfect. Don't even reboot windows daily. The system seems to be able to go about a week between boots before other issues crop up.

So, who knows. The thing went from useless to prefect and all I really did was unplug the IR....
Old 06-09-2010, 04:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I took the IR off the box and switched to serial (Directv) and I reinstalled the firmware with the most current version. Didn't do anything special, just reinstalled it. (As I posted above)

So, now it has been about 3 weeks under the new system and no lockups no issues what-so-ever. Works perfect. Don't even reboot windows daily. The system seems to be able to go about a week between boots before other issues crop up.

So, who knows. The thing went from useless to prefect and all I really did was unplug the IR....
FYI, there is a fairly new thread in the forum I read a couple days ago from a user copying a replied message from Hauppauge that an upcoming update for the HDPVR was going to correct lockups caused when using IR. I don't have time to go looking for it this morning, but I'd recommend anyone using IR with an HDPVR go looking for it. It seems this is the first time Hauppauge is finally admitting they have lockup problems with the HDPVR.
Server: Sage WHS 7.0.9 - Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz, 4GB ram, 160GB(system) + 300GB(data) pooled HD, 400GB + 1TB non-pooled HD, MSI 9400GT video, 4-port serial, Windows Home Server 2003, 2-DTV H20 receivers, 2-HD-PVR E1 tuners, 2-Patterson usb translators for DTV usb to serial channel select control
Client 1: Sage Client 7.0.9 - Core 2 Duo E6300, 4GB ram, 400GB HD, Xonar 7.1 Audio, Blu-ray DVD, Asus 9500GT video with HDMI connect to Denon 3310CI and 60" LG Plasma, Windows 7 32bit
Old 06-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportera View Post
It seems this is the first time Hauppauge is finally admitting they have lockup problems with the HDPVR.
That's me and it's just a few posts UP.

Last edited by joe123; 06-09-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Tags
hdpvr, lockups