SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Considering new server--looking for input

It seems like it's that time--time to consider upgrading my server (hopefully this time I'll really do it!)

I currently have a p4 3.0 Ghz machine that I purchased about 5 years ago. I'm trying to get a machine that MAY last that long as well. The server is used for viewing as well as recording. There is also 2 clients and a place shifter that uses the server. Comm Skipping also happens on the server.

I currently don't record HD Tv but hope to record (and play back) HD TV

My questions are:

1. CPU Type? Should it be 64 bit or 32? I'm guessing 64 bit since 32 seems like it's on the way out--but will I have problems with drivers? Intel or AMD? Does it matter? I'm assuming quad core..but is it overkill? Windows 7?

2. Memory: Is 4 GB ok?

3. 2TB of data storage (w/ a script or RAID to copy it to an extra drive for backup)

4. What should I be looking for in a video card?

5. Are there any adapters that make PCI cards work in PCI express slots? (Or am I going to have to buy new tuners? I have 2 cards currently)

Thanks!

rwc
Old 10-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Sage Fanatic

First reply (unless someone beats me to it)

1. Virtually all new processors are 64 bit, but its the OS that you're on about.
If its a Sage server only I don't think it matters. Personally I'd play safe and get a 32 bit OS so you don't have driver issues but others may have different opinions.

2. It should be unless you use hauppauge pvr 150/500 cards which dont like more than 3GB.

3. Lots of options here. I have 2 1.5TB drives and I script backups between drives. I've used sata raid in the past but found it unreliable, though it was 5 years ago.

4. Personally I'd go the extender route and have the server headless.

5. I don't think there are any adaptors but most motherboards still have pci slots. I have an athlon x2 5200 in a gigabyte board and it has 4 pci and 2 pci-e slots. Most new matx boards still have 2 pci slots.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwc View Post
1. CPU Type? Should it be 64 bit or 32? I'm guessing 64 bit since 32 seems like it's on the way out--but will I have problems with drivers? Intel or AMD? Does it matter? I'm assuming quad core..but is it overkill? Windows 7?
I say you may as well go 64bit and Windows 7
dual core unless your plan on trasoncoding the video then a quad core is the better way to go in long run.

Quote:
2. Memory: Is 4 GB ok?
Yup

Quote:
3. 2TB of data storage (w/ a script or RAID to copy it to an extra drive for backup)
That up to you

Quote:
4. What should I be looking for in a video card?
For now any thing well do hack even onboard after all this only a server

Quote:
5. Are there any adapters that make PCI cards work in PCI express slots? (Or am I going to have to buy new tuners? I have 2 cards currently)
It best go PCIe all way as it is now everthing moving to PCIe any way.
Yes there are some but there not what call cheap look up PCIe Expansion chassis system as for card slot adapter no there isn't any thing like that.
Check out newegg they do have Intel base motherboard with up to 5 slot PCI and AMD base motherbaord with 4 slot 1x PCIe take look at the GA-MA770-UD3 or newer UD3P.

Last edited by SHS; 10-24-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:24 PM
SageTVaholic

4GB seems to be problematic with some Hauppauge cards.

B
Old 10-25-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
4GB seems to be problematic with some Hauppauge cards.

B
Only if have the older PVR model like 150, 160, 250, 350, 500 and USB2 PVR

Last edited by SHS; 10-26-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

That's exactly what I have though! 1 PVR-150 and 1 PVR-500! *GULP*

Are haupauge cards still the "best" supported cards in sage? What's the common thought on which card these days? What do people think of the WinTV-HVR-2250?
Old 10-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Sage Expert

I like AverMedia's new cards. I would ditch Haupauge all together. Why can't some other manufacturer make the HD-DVR thing?
Old 10-26-2009, 12:01 PM

Witch one of AverMedia's there are few some have no hardware encoder
Quote:
Why can't some other manufacturer make the HD-DVR thing?
Don't mean you HD-PVR?
Ask them
My guest would be
1: MS didn't want support H.264 Hardware Encoder?
2: There very few Hardware H264 Encoder Chip Manufacturer that maybe the other reason.
So far I haven't scean any one with the ViXS XCode 3000/4000 Series which is a AVC/MPEG2/VC1 HD Transcoder/Encoder
Other Manufacturer StreamMachine, Vwebcorp and Emuzed they are Die or sold off or Load of PR BS I'm sure there are other but there only found in highend toys costing way to much for the avg joe.