SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ways to control Sage via a network device?

Hi,

I have 2 sage clients (and a sage server) that I'd like to be able to control via a networked device (either a web page or an iphone app) .The goal is to be able to to do all basic sage functions such as browse, watch, pause, fast forward, etc from any web based device (or an iphone app).

If I've read the forums correctly, the Sage Webserver seems like it gets me 80% of the way there, but I can't control any of the video features (play, pause, rewind, stop, etc). Is that correct? Would it be "straight forward" for a novice like me to add? Would I need a separate "web server" that would catch the correct commands and pass it off to eventGhost (or Girder)? (How would I know when a video was being watched?)

Any help and/or discussion would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

rwc
Old 10-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Sage Icon

You should be able to use the "remote control" portion of the web interface to do what you want. In a normal IE page, it causes a pop up to appear with the basic transport commands, etc, on it.

Pressing "Stop" will cause the selected extender/client to stop, etc.

While it may not be the prettiest UI, it does work just fine.

That being said, you certainly can write a program that can control SageTV. For example, Fonceur and a CQC user wrote a program that allows the CQC Home Automation system software to control just about every aspect of the SageTV system. This all occurs over IP/TCP connection. So it is clear that the parts are all there to make it work.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 10-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwc View Post
Hi,

I have 2 sage clients (and a sage server) that I'd like to be able to control via a networked device (either a web page or an iphone app) .The goal is to be able to to do all basic sage functions such as browse, watch, pause, fast forward, etc from any web based device (or an iphone app).
Sounds like what you are asking for is 50% a Placeshifter for iPhone, BlackBerry, Smartphones.... in which case get in line with the rest of us.

As for a rich UI remote, well you had to pick iPhone =)

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=270

With the new Adobe Flash update this should be usable on most smartphones soon.... except of course iPhone due to Apple's anti-flash stance.

Last edited by xred; 10-07-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
For example, Fonceur and a CQC user wrote a program that allows the CQC Home Automation system software to control just about every aspect of the SageTV system.
Could certainly use the SageTCPServer.jar part to provide access to the data through TCP/IP...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 10-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

is the SageTCPServer.jar a sage thing? Or a CQC thing? Last I heard, CQC didn't work well via the web--has that changed?
Old 10-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
is the SageTCPServer.jar a sage thing?
It goes in the SageTV\jars folder and I use it for some CQC and MainLobby plugins, so it is a Sage thing...
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 10-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Is it possible to use the .jar file and not use CQC? (Are there any docs on it?)
Old 10-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
.....Last I heard, CQC didn't work well via the web--has that changed?

CQC works fine via the web. It has a full web server built in actually. It's just that there are not a lot of good web developers/designers that use CQC, so developement has been basically non-existant. I suspect that without Neilm, Foncur and others, SageTV would be in a similar place.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 10-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Is it possible to use the .jar file and not use CQC?
Yes. (third time is the charm I guess...)

Quote:
(Are there any docs on it?)
That's an older version that I am attaching, but I can try to update it if you think it's worth it.

Last edited by Fonceur; 11-25-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:44 AM
Sage User

I've got the Sage Web interface loaded on all my machines but usually kick it old school. I log on to the Sage box (which lives in my attic) via VNC and control things that way.

That said, I'm working on getting the web interface setup to work on my iPhone (and anxiously awaiting an iPhone app). Once I have that, I'm likely to use that most of the time if it works well.

Lynn