SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Any new ways to record HD streams?

I haven't been paying attention to any new developments in about 18 months so I was wondering if anything has come out or anything currently in development as a better solution for recording HD signals?

Currently I use R5000 mod and I am dying for a better alternative. It's just so slow, buggy and a kludge to work with

my service is FIOS TV
Old 09-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Sage Icon

Probably the most common one in use is the HD-PVR. A search on the forums will find a lot of threads about it. I have 4 working with DirecTV boxes and it works very well for me. One of the biggest things to remember is to not use the IR Blaster that comes with it for changing channels.

I also remember somebody having some issues with FIOS several months ago, but I don't know if it was ever resolved.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Oh yeah that's been around though for a while right? From what I can recall people were not too happy with it's video quality and it was just about as slow as R5000 (tuning channels) with similar issues.

It sucks that there is no convenient solution. I cant blame SageTV because it is all this DRM BS that Microsoft and the big whig networks push on us. It is just so frustrating.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm moving to a FIOS area (Tampa) next spring and have been thinking about this issue as well. Currently, I've been satisfied enough with OTA HD, but once I have FIOS, I was planning on an R5000. The threads I've seen seem to indicate that it's more reliable than the HD-PVR, but either appears to have its problems.

Came across this recently:

http://gizmodo.com/5357722/cetons-ca...rs-in-one-slot

Six tuners from one multi-stream cablecard!

Not that Sage will be supporting cablecard any time soon, but man, that would be sweet!

cheers,
Dave
Old 10-02-2009, 05:32 AM
SageTVaholic

R-5000 is still really the only way to get perfect quality bitstreams.. no recompression, etc... For some reason they have increased the price recently.. no idea why, as I can't imagine they are in THAT much demand... the latest R5000 software has made massive improvements in stability, and works MUCH better with sage than previous versions.

And don't blame MS for the DRM... yes, they provide the service, but I'm sure they would prefer NOT to, if cablelabs would let them.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-03-2009, 06:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

That's encouraging to hear about the recent improved R5000 stability. I frequently see posts with R5000 problems, but as usual, people tend to post when they're having problems, so this isn't likely that reflective of how well the R5000 actually works.

Or at least I hope not, b/c I've wanted one ever since I learned about it!

cheers,
Dave