SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

HDHomerun and System Message Reports

System messages is reporting my HDHR is halting or not responding several times each day. It can occur 7-8 times, but typically 2-3/day. Are other HDHR users seeing messages this frequently, or should I be worried that I have a problem?

Thanks for input.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have 2 HDHRs (4 tuners) attached to my system and I don't ever remember a system message for them (usually the HD PVR).
Old 09-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Sage Expert

I see them all the time, but I'm in a 'fringe' area and assume that it's my reception, not the HDHR or Sage.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm View Post
System messages is reporting my HDHR is halting or not responding several times each day. It can occur 7-8 times, but typically 2-3/day. Are other HDHR users seeing messages this frequently, or should I be worried that I have a problem?

Thanks for input.
Well that was the beginning of many recordings getting missed. I suspect it started for me because Comcast mucked around with the channel assignments, so I did a rescan and sure enough a lot had changed. Course I had to completely reinstall sagetv to get Sagetv to work correctly with my HDHRs again
Old 09-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am seeing these more often in the last month. It repairs itself and misses the first few minutes of the program
Old 09-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

What HDHR firmware are you running? Make sure its the latest

http://www.silicondust.com/downloads

I had a similiar problem fixed by the latest firmware
Old 09-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Sage Icon

Also, if you update your HDHR firmware, be sure to upgrade to the latest STV version. If you don't and get the dreaded "No Signal" screen, you'll at least know why.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 09-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

I use the HDHR for OTA and it's signal reception is about 10% lower than my Fustion5HDTV card. I live on the fringe so every little bit of reception helps. I am trying out the Avermedia Duet ($50) and if it is as good as the Fusion card, I will drop the HDHR. I get those system messages all the time from the HDHR, but it is a signal problem.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonen View Post
I get those system messages all the time from the HDHR, but it is a signal problem.
How is it a signal problem? I get those messages with my HDHR with QAM, I wouldn't think signal would much matter when its hooked to cable rather than OTA...
Old 09-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

I was referring to my case, which may or may not be related to QAM tuning which I used for a few years up until last week. When using QAM, I never had system messages at all until I switched to windows 7. Then when I went to OTA, they increased even more, but I attribute those to signal problems.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Sage Icon

I also get several of these messages with my HDHR. Some of my (OTA) signals are not the strongest but even though I get all these messages the recordings seem to be fine. Unfortunately, it kind of makes the (great) new System Messages not work as intended for me because I end ignoring them most of the time.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:19 PM
SageTVaholic

I get these warnings about once or twice a day with my HDHR using QAM. It typically seems to happen on the non-network stations, and almost always at night. So, I don't think its an HDHR problem, a Sage problem, or really even a signal strength problem. I'm guess its Comcast mucking around with their system at night. Last night was the first time I actually lost a recording as a result of it. If I keep missing recordings I'll probably try using STBs to record those channels. I'll probably have to switch to STBs for non-network channels anyway.

But, I'm hoping once Comcast goes all digital and adds a bunch more HD channels that I'll be able to use firewire recording for most of them, and my HD-PVR for the rest. Maybe I'll get an SD box to record the SD channels, but I haven't decided yet.