SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Sage User

How are you Linux users copying DVDs to hard drive?

I have a WHS and have been using ANYDVD along with MyMovies for WHS. It works good, but I am looking to evict WHS from the house and possibly try out the Sage Server on a Stick when it comes out. Am also looking for something that I can build/recommend to friends. WHS is just too hard to get 64k clusters. At least with Linux, I could add another raid drive pool and extend the volume across it. But the problem is, with Linux, I would lose My Movies, and with it, the ease of inserting a disk and having it ripped automatically. What are you veteran Linux users doing to burn movies to the hard drive?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:45 PM
SageTVaholic

As a verteran linux user, I'm using AnyDVDHD on a windows box
Old 09-09-2009, 12:23 AM
Sage Expert

DVDFab HD under Wine in Ubuntu 9.04. Wine straight from Ubuntu repositories, then DVDFab HD installed using the Wine. Works like a charm.

TV: Samsung UN46D8000
Server: Intel Core i3 540, 4G RAM, Matrox G450, 70GB EXT3 encrypted software RAID1 system drive, 1TB XFS tv recording drive, 2TB EXT3 encrypted data drive mirror across 2 machines, 2TB EXT3 encrypted media drive mirror across 2 machines, CentOS 6 64 bit, Experimenting with DNLA servers
1Gb wired network
Disconnected after G day[HD 100 Media Extender, Placeshifter 7.x, SageTV 7.x, HDHomeRun]
Old 09-09-2009, 08:06 AM
SageTVaholic

For a pure Linux method one could try dvd::rip or VLC

B

Note: I don't use either method above.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

I rip DVDs on a Windows XP box using DVD Fab, then if bigger than a single layer DVD (4.5 GB) I run it thru DVD-Rebuilder to re-encode it to the smaller size (similar to DVD-Shrink but better quality), add a folder.jpg (cover art) and finally copy to my Ubunto SageTV server.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Sage Icon

On Ubuntu 8.04, I use k9copy to do straight rips. This preserves menus, etc, and they work fine in an hd100. I use handbrake (also on Ubuntu) to extract the features from kids DVDs, and convert them to mpeg4, since we never seem to delete them, and I want to eliminate the marketing. No Windows (or Mac) required.

Drew
Old 09-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Sage User

Okay, I did some playing around and came up with the following pure open source solution:

Install the following packages:

vobcopy and ivman. If it is legal where you are at, you can also install libdvdcss

Make sure that your cdrom or dvd drive is readable by the ivman user.

Add the following to /etc/ivman/IvmConfigActions.xml

<!-- autocopy video DVDs -->
<ivm:Match name="hal.volume.disc.is_videodvd" value="true">
<ivm:Option name="mount" value="true" />
<ivm:Option name="exec" value="sleep 20 &amp;&amp; /usr/bin/vobcopy -m -o /mnt/stuff/dvds/ &amp;&amp; pumount /media/cdrom0 &amp;&amp; eject -r /dev/sr0" />
</ivm:Match>

Change the -o parameter for vobcopy to reflect your directory. Also, edit the references to drives to reflect those on your system. To test, stop the ivman service and run it from a console using:

sudo -u ivman ivman -d -c /etc/ivman --nofork

Insert a DVD, and it should copy it to your directory and eject it when done. If not, look at the output for a hint to what went wrong.