SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Sage Expert

HD200 Interface Consistency

This was something I shrugged off myself, but was pointed out to me by my parents when they had some adventures with Sage earlier today. I also have to agree with them, so here is some feedback that others can add to or shred at will.

I'll start off with the UI Tweak that I think is relatively straightforward and should probably be done in the interest of consistency.

When you are watching a buffered(live) program feed and bring up the information screen, when it is not recording(but simply buffering), the box is outlined in white. When it is recording the feed, the top information box is outlined in Red. This is a straightforward enough visual cue to work with for the most part, though it might also be a thought to make to bottom box containing the time meter also pick up the red outline as well. However, that isn't the consistency complaint.

While the program information box gains a red outline when a program is recording, if you go into the program guide and view it from there, the program being recorded shows up with a white outline.

Makes it annoying to explain, and confusing for a end-user when they're told "If the program you're watching is being recorded, you will see a red box here. If you see a white box, it is not being recorded.... Unless you're checking from the program guide or the Recording Schedule, in which case that program's box on the guide will be white if its recording, or non-existent if it isn't."

In the interest of visual consistency, and eliminating that little bit of confusion, please make those two visual elements consistent with each other. (at least where "currently recording(for storage)" status is concerned)

-------------------------------------------

On a related note, to re-iterate a complaint/point of confusion that I've seen on these forums before.

Could something be done about that Record Icon on the program guide when someone is buffering a live Television Feed through Sage. If it wasn't for that Record Icon being present on the program guide and the Recording Schedule when Sage is essentially operating in a "buffer mode" with "Live TV" red/white/transparent borders would be a non-issue as they could be told to simply look for that icon.

...but since Sage is technically(and actually) recording those (short lived) streams to the hard drive, which it would be doing for any recording in general, it gets the (confusing) Record Icon. A pie in the sky dream on that front would be to get a different (color) icon for programs that are being "recorded"(but are essentially only being buffered) which will be discarded once their allotted time slot expires/someone stops viewing it(whichever comes last)... As I think the standard Red one should be reserved for the ones that will persist until the other deletion criteria within Sage are applied to it.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Please see the PDF manual that is installed with SageTV for clarification of the UI. As a new user, you should familiarize yourself with the features of SageTV, perhaps starting with chapter 2's "SageTV Quick Start Guide", starting on p. 19 of the v6.6-B manual. Some of the thigns are not as you seem to understand them to be...

Manual Recordings & Favorites are outlined in white on most menus. Among other places, there is a description of indicator icons starting on page 30. Icons & such are also described in the UI at Setup -> Help -> Interface Guide.

The playback screen lags the rest of the menus in terms of not being updated during the last round of UI updates, thus it still has the old MR red outline -- p. 114 of the PDF manual. The red outline doesn't mean it is currently recording; it means it is a Manual Recording. An existing Manual Recording that is already recorded (and not currently recording) also has a red outline during playback.

Finally, Live TV is a recording, not a buffer, thus it is marked as currently recording with the 'currently recording' indicator.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.