SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV United Kingdom
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV United Kingdom SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from the UK - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in the UK.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

Is DG2XML broken with Digiguide 8.4?

I am in the process of completely zapping & rebuilding my SageTV server. I have installed the retail version of Windows 7 plus the latest SageTV & everything is working famously. Unfortunately I have a problem with DG2XML which I was going to use with StephaneM's XMLTV importer.

I have downloaded the latest version of Digiguide 8.4 build 1125 & when I copy the DG2XML.dgscheme-web folder (The Readme says the folder name is xmltv.dgscheme-web but that doesn't exist in the downloaded kit) into the correct Digiguide directory then there is no option to select DG2XML skin from in the "Web Skin" section as described in the Readme.

It looks like Digiguide format for these skins may have changed as whereas the DG2XML file skin files are XML the other 3 skin files appear to be binaries.

If that is the problem then it would explain why prior to my WIndows 7 rebuild that the Sage EPG had no data (this was one of my reasons for upgrading to Windows 7).

Does anyone else have this problem?

Cheers

Nigel
Old 08-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi, I recently did the same rebuild as you but I didn't have any problems.

Windows 7 RTM Home Premium with Digiguide 8.4 build 1125 and the latest versions of DG2XML and Stéphane's importer are all working perfectly together for me.

I'm sorry can't tell you what to do to fix your problem, but I hope it helps you to know that these bits of software definitely can work together.

Good luck.

Edit: I've been looking at my setup and my DG2XML file skin files are XML the other 3 skin files are indeed binaries, as you say, so that's not the problem. You did create a new folder, called DG2XML.dgscheme-web - rather than just copy the three files it contains straight into the "server skins" folder, didn't you?

Last edited by fac13; 08-15-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the confirmation that it is actually working which made me persevere & stay up until 02:30 to actually get this working. The first problem is that the documentation for DG2XML is wrong you no longer need to select the special skin for the web server. My clue was from Alan Birtles whose own XMLTVGUI application can now grab from Digiguide too but he specifically says that selecting the skin is not required.

My other problems were mainly to do with the fact that it was so long since I needed to configure Sage (a testament to the reliability) that I had forgotten most everything that I knew. Secondly UAC screws you up big time stuffing files that need editing into the 'Virtualstore'. Fixed eventually by switching UAC off.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yes UAC can cause some problems.

I must admit that I cut a few corners on my Vista to Windows 7 rebuild. Where I knew that a particular program had been working just fine under Vista I tended to install it on my new Windows 7 build just to get the registry entries set up, and then copy the whole of its Program Files (x86) and Program Data folders from my old build to re-establish the settings without having to give it too much thought.

I installed Sage from scratch, keeping only wiz.bin, the frq files and the channel logos, but for Digiguide, DG2XML and the importer I used the short-cut. I avoided a lot of pain that way I think.

It's the equivalent of moving into a new house but bringing some of the old carpets and curtains with you.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

I was actually prompted to install from scratch because the EPG had stopped working so that there was no data for any of the channels. To use your metaphor my carpets were so stained that I preferred to get some new ones. However I have a niggling doubt that actually what may have screwed it all up in the first place on the previous Vista incarnation of my Sage server was switching on UAC. I should learn to leave well alone but it did keep nagging me about it. Thank goodness I have been able to retire most of the other Windows systems & now use Macs instead.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

My experience has been a little different then, because although UAC could be irritating I never never turned it off and I've never had any major problems with it. Nor has the virtual store hasn't been an issue for me, I think this is probably because I run Sage as service.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCE-Refugee View Post
The first problem is that the documentation for DG2XML is wrong you no longer need to select the special skin for the web server.
Thanks, docs updated.

Regards,

Nick.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by fac13 View Post
My experience has been a little different then, because although UAC could be irritating I never never turned it off and I've never had any major problems with it. Nor has the virtual store hasn't been an issue for me, I think this is probably because I run Sage as service.
I too run Sage as a service. Anyway it's all working now with UAC switched off & as the system is not used as anything other than a SageTV server I am not inclined to spend any time figuring out how to get it running with UAC. It ain't broke so I am not going to try & fix it.