SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Sage Icon

Ion looks cool, but I worry that the processor is too limited (i.e. if you want to watch something that isn't decoded by the video card, or decode multi channel FLAC).

A G45 based ITX w/ a low end CPU maybe a better choice, and there isn't much difference in power usage b/w the two platforms.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Sage Icon

I have been experimenting a lot with Windows7 and have found that Hardware decoding on the 780G and 790G motherboards appears to be broken. I am using 1920x1080 but the effect is the same across all resolutions. The picture is unwatchable under EVR. I can use Overlay and the picture looks fantastic but the CPU goes way up. This is not a problem for the newer Phenom II X3 but the older Athlon X2 5050e is near the max for some of the BluRay Rips. I get occasional skips with h.264 or vc-1 movies if they have HD audio on the lower processor machine. (I can use EVR if I disable hardware acceleration in the codec in Arcsoft, Can't get Cyberlink to work in EVR)

I suspect this is a driver issue but if you plan to use Windows7 you may want to consider a faster CPU or dedicated card. It may or may not ever get fixed. I have a ATI 4550 that will run everything flawlessly in full resolution at very low cpu utilization. For only $45, I would consider it instead and get the cheaper 780G board.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
I have been experimenting a lot with Windows7 and have found that Hardware decoding on the 780G and 790G motherboards appears to be broken. I am using 1920x1080 but the effect is the same across all resolutions. The picture is unwatchable under EVR. I can use Overlay and the picture looks fantastic but the CPU goes way up. This is not a problem for the newer Phenom II X3 but the older Athlon X2 5050e is near the max for some of the BluRay Rips. I get occasional skips with h.264 or vc-1 movies if they have HD audio on the lower processor machine. (I can use EVR if I disable hardware acceleration in the codec in Arcsoft, Can't get Cyberlink to work in EVR)

I suspect this is a driver issue but if you plan to use Windows7 you may want to consider a faster CPU or dedicated card. It may or may not ever get fixed. I have a ATI 4550 that will run everything flawlessly in full resolution at very low cpu utilization. For only $45, I would consider it instead and get the cheaper 780G board.
Broken? That sound a bit ominous. Seriously?
Old 10-27-2009, 10:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
I have a 9950x4, which is way more than you need. The newest 45nm x2s are probably a better choice for most people if the mobo supports it (should just be a BIOS update). They are cheap, have 2x the L2 of the earlier AM3 parts and @65w will be easy to cool and keep quiet.

The on-board HDMI works great for bitstreaming AC-3 and DTS, but I'm currently running a 4650 because I wanted multi-channel LPCM.

When the 785G comes out I will be reevaluating the entire system, while the 9950 was a good choice at the time (needed power for h.264 commercial detection) it needs to be managed carefully to keep noise levels down.
SO, I went with the Gigabyte GA-MA785 series motherboard. The problem I'm having is outputting 5.1 spdif and two-channel analog (Realtek HD) simultaneously from the same input (Sage). My old MSI board did this just fine. I must be doing something wrong with the drivers, or the ATI/Realtek drivers may be wonky.
Any idea how to get both stereo analog and 5.1 spdif from Sage? I'm using XP SP3.
Also, if I added a Sapphire 4550, would that give me another digital audio stream (HDMI) that would run simultaneously as well, or would Sage not allow that?
Old 10-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
The problem I'm having is outputting 5.1 spdif and two-channel analog (Realtek HD) simultaneously from the same input (Sage). My old MSI board did this just fine. I must be doing something wrong with the drivers, or the ATI/Realtek drivers may be wonky.
Any idea how to get both stereo analog and 5.1 spdif from Sage?
You want it to output both at the same time? Do you have the full Realtek drivers installed, it might support similtaneous output.

It's possible to do this at the application level (i.e. requiring explicit application support), but most likely would introduce sync issues.

Why do you want that? Anything that makes this work will destroy audio quality.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:26 PM
SageTVaholic

The only option I can see for doing what you want would be using an older creative live or audigy card, with the KxProject Drivers. This would allow you to custom program teh DSP to output the multichannel AND the stereo at the same time.. but, like babgvant asked, why do you need both?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-28-2009, 10:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
The only option I can see for doing what you want would be using an older creative live or audigy card, with the KxProject Drivers. This would allow you to custom program teh DSP to output the multichannel AND the stereo at the same time.. but, like babgvant asked, why do you need both?
WAF factor. The analog goes directly to the LCD, so you don't have to power on and fiddle with the receiver, which is where the spdif 5.1 is routed. I can't send HDMI and spdif simultaneously, or I would have done that. The advertising claims about this motherboard/chipset are deceiving at best. My loss I guess.

If I added a Sapphire ATI HD4550 card, could I output an HDMI audio stream from there, or does that just output HDMI video (being a video card and all)?
Old 10-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
WAF factor. The analog goes directly to the LCD, so you don't have to power on and fiddle with the receiver, which is where the spdif 5.1 is routed. I can't send HDMI and spdif simultaneously, or I would have done that. The advertising claims about this motherboard/chipset are deceiving at best. My loss I guess.

If I added a Sapphire ATI HD4550 card, could I output an HDMI audio stream from there, or does that just output HDMI video (being a video card and all)?
Why do you feel deceived? Not being able to output simultaneous audio streams w/o explicit application opt in is how PCs work (and a good thing). If your interested I can explain why, but it's going to get techincal.

Adding another audio output won't change the outcome. I think your best "free" option is to write an STVi that will change the audio renderer w/o having to drill into the settings; or if you have $50 to spare get a harmony (or other WAF friendly) remote that will handle setting up the devices.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
Why do you feel deceived? Not being able to output simultaneous audio streams w/o explicit application opt in is how PCs work (and a good thing). If your interested I can explain why, but it's going to get techincal.

Adding another audio output won't change the outcome. I think your best "free" option is to write an STVi that will change the audio renderer w/o having to drill into the settings; or if you have $50 to spare get a harmony (or other WAF friendly) remote that will handle setting up the devices.
actually, i DO have two working spdif outputs. All i need to do is convert spdif down to analog stereo I suppose.

Sorry, do you know if the 4550 card DOES add another audio out? I was looking at the card primarily for better video performance, but if audio travels down that pipe as well, it does offer some other options - to technical to explain.

Last edited by tvmaster2; 10-28-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:07 PM
SageTVaholic

the 4550 would be another separate audio device for the HDMI output. And, no, you can't send sound out it AND the on-board sound card. Sage can playback to only one. Seriously, you need to just get a harmony remote, and have everything go through the receiver.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Sage Icon

I don't suppose the LCD has an audio out of some kind?

You could also leave the receiver on all the time. Mine seems to be on most of the time since I can't get the kids to hit the button on the Harmony that turns off everything. They just power off the TV.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
TV Audio out won't really solve his problem, as the tv can only receive stereo from the pc, so it can only pass stereo on to the receiver. The only real solution, is like mentioned, to just always use the receiver. Proper remote configuration makes this a non-issue. (remote on and off control all components. Remote voume/mute control receiver.)

Old 10-28-2009, 10:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
the 4550 would be another separate audio device for the HDMI output. And, no, you can't send sound out it AND the on-board sound card. Sage can playback to only one. Seriously, you need to just get a harmony remote, and have everything go through the receiver.
I've actually tried a Harmony remote and returned it - way too much trouble. I found a nice little spdif to rca analog convertor that will solve the problem.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

You could also leave the receiver on all the time. Mine seems to be on most of the time since I can't get the kids to hit the button on the Harmony that turns off everything. They just power off the TV.
I wanted to do just as you say, as the LCD has a spdif out that I could send to the receiver. Problem is (Samsung) that it only outputs 2 channel PCM if the original input signal is anything OTHER than an antenna ATSC feed. Stupid, eh? The secret will have to lie in the dual-spdif outputs from the HTPC - one will need to be converted.

My fav remote is a Phillips universal 8 device model that is just way too easy to use, and great on batteries.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:32 PM
SageTVaholic

However - Gigabyte 785 MB: $95 - Athlon Regor 2.9: $60 - 2 gigs of DDR3: 42 ... total = $197. Just under $200! Once I get all the drivers and bios upgrades playing nice, it should be a smokin' little box.

Thanks for all the advice -it can be done, at least for the raw materials.