SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Sage User

Strange playback issue with long end padding

I have a favorite set to record any time Sage sees the keyword "Atlanta Braves" in the title, which basically records every Braves game. However, since games get rain delayed or have other strange things happen that make them last longer than their allotted time, I have the favorite set to record 120 minutes after the show is supposed to end, resulting in a 5 hour file.

If I wait until the next day, and watch the file, it always works perfectly. However, usually I just start the game late. It'll be a 7pm game and I won't get around to turning it on until 8 or so. This works fine until Sage gets into the "padding" section of the recording. Sometime after the padding has started (not immediately), the following happens

1) There will be a strange video glitch, lasting half a second or less, and then i get video back, but audio disappears completely
2) Jumping Back, Stepping Back, stopping/restarting/etc, all end up making the timer at the bottom of the page go back to 00:00 and start over, but the video actually goes to live. Basically now the timer thinks we're at the beginning of the file, but we're watching live video, which with my luck is usually the final score of the game being displayed on the screen.
3) Skipping around in the video has nothing to do with the actual location we're going to, and often trying to go back 10 seconds will go to the beginning of the file, trying to go forward 10 seconds will go to the end. You'll see video from the first inning, then press the 10 second forward button and get video from the 4th inning.
4) Watching the file directly on my computer, in Windows Media Player, displays the same results. I have a 7gig file that recorded for 5 hours that WMP thinks is only 41 minutes long. Skipping to a specific section gets to where it should be (i.e., grabbing a spot about 10% in gets me the first inning, going to a spot about 80% done gets me the 8th or 9th inning, but it still thinks i'm only at 37:00, even though its the 8th inning. If I just watch, it gets to the length it thinks the video should be, and stops.

This doesn't appear to happen if I don't watch it while it's recording, although it hasn't happened enough to be absolutely certain.

Also, oddly enough, comskip seems to scan it correctly, my commercials all seem to be in the right place, but skipping around gets me the same goofy problems I get skipping normally.

Also, for what little it's worth, this doesn't appear to have anything to do with favorites, as it did the same thing to me during tonight's all star game.

Please let me know if I need to explain something better, this is a difficult problem to explain. I'd be happy to upload an example file, but unfortunately they are enormous (7 gigs or so, usually) so that might be difficult.

Thanks!

J
Old 07-14-2009, 10:29 PM
Administrator

What version of SageTV are you using? If you aren't already using the latest v6.5 beta, I suggest trying that.

There is this FAQ for bad timelines during playback, but you seem to be saying it was only happening during live playback & I think that FAQ's problem occurred for any recording.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Sage User

I was running 6.5.7.201, so I'm upgrading to 6.5.20. I also did the registry fix you suggested. We'll see what happens

J