SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

HuLu video downloader

Not sure how long this will work before HuLu finds a way to disable it, but I thought I would share it anyways.

http://gizmodo.com/5310983/hulu-vide...ffline-viewing
Old 07-09-2009, 02:17 PM
SageTVaholic

It shouldn't be around too long. While I think it's definitely cool, it also sends the exact wrong message to the execs that control Hulu which is really bad for us in the long run.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Definitely not the message I want to send, because I don't want HuLu locked down more than it is already and I want increased content. Not to mention you have to wait for the stream to finish before you can watch it.

I think once we have native support in sage (maybe - hopefully), I would never even consider using something like this. PlayOn is dreadfully slow on the HD200 and I only use the extenders for playback.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Based on the interview with Jeff, integrated Hulu support in SageTV isn't arriving any time in the near future - and it is directly related to Hulu's TOS. And the more those old fogies running the networks see people doing this sort of thing, the more afraid they are of completly legitimate uses of the TV streams. It's more than that, but this sort of thing is definitely part of the equation.

I expect to see Hulu change things up a bit and make it nearly impossible for those like Boxee etc. from using their streams on a TV. It won't be pretty.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

This type of thing will always be around though. If they lock Hulu down more and more people will find other options. They will eventually have to change or be replaced.
________
TL1000S

Last edited by Quazeye; 01-26-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
It shouldn't be around too long. While I think it's definitely cool, it also sends the exact wrong message to the execs that control Hulu which is really bad for us in the long run.
What about the message that is being sent to all the Sage users who want to be able to view Hulu? Or all the potential Sage purchasers who are looking for a media player that will allow them to view Hulu? I purchased my HD200 a few months ago hoping that Hulu would be supported in the near future. I wouldn't worry too much about the execs at Hulu. I'm sure they are more concerned with getting more users to watch their video streams than figuring out ways to block them.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsocal View Post
I'm sure they are more concerned with getting more users to watch their video streams than figuring out ways to block them.
They sure got a funny way of showing it...
Client: Fire TV Stick 4K
Old 07-30-2009, 06:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsocal View Post
What about the message that is being sent to all the Sage users who want to be able to view Hulu? Or all the potential Sage purchasers who are looking for a media player that will allow them to view Hulu? I purchased my HD200 a few months ago hoping that Hulu would be supported in the near future. I wouldn't worry too much about the execs at Hulu. I'm sure they are more concerned with getting more users to watch their video streams than figuring out ways to block them.
it's not Hulu-it's the providers of the content. The providers want Hulu to make sure that the only way to see the Hulu videos is from a PC. They feel if the videos become TV viewed it detracts from their value the providers want to charge cable, satellite, etc. companies for access to the providers video.

Purchasing any device with the hope of support of any single video source is a shot in the dark at best. But keep hoping.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.