SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:42 PM

HVR-1600 no signal from ATSC

Hi, I've seen a few threads on the boards that allude to this but they all turned into QAM discussions which isn't my problem.

I just downloaded SageTV and attempting to use it with a brand new HVR-1600, which is my fourth Hauppauge tuner but the first with ATSC. I'm using it with build 7100 of Windows 7. The card works with WinTV and Media Center and I'm using it with an antenna and I want to pick up OTA ATSC.

However there's no signal when attempting to tune it with Sage, either in setup when testing video (basic, advanced, etc.) or when I select Live TV. It says "No Signal". It does tune the NTSC tuner and does playback video that's already on the hard disk. I tried reinstalling, killing the AC power, reinstalling, shutting down the SageTVService and a different PCI slot.

I'm using Sage 6.5.9.204 and Java 1.6.0_13. Windows 7 works great with every other program I've tried.

Please help. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

So it doesn't find any channels when you do a 'scan for available channels' in Sage?
Client: Fire TV Stick 4K
Old 07-07-2009, 11:43 AM

No ATSC

That is correct, alfi33, no ATSC channels. NTSC works.

Thanks for asking.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am now having the same problem. I could tune into QAM with the 1600 but now I am going off of an amplified antenna and am having no luck. I have read the stickies as well and still dont see much of anything. I have tried everything in the source setup. I also do have cable in my house and got it tune just fine. Anyone have any ideas? To be honest, I am lost.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have been using a 1600 and 1800 for OTA no problem.. I am using XP on the server..

Win7 has some wierd (NEW/DIFFERENT) codec issues.. Installing SageClient on a laptop running Win7 broke most of the internal codecs (proven by not being able to play back video after Sage install).. Some people are having no issues with it, others are.. I highly doubt we will see any real answers for a Win7 solution until a few months after Win7 goes RTM.......

Troubleshooting steps to take--

If for whatever reason your MPEG2 codec doesnt work, sage will return a no signal (if that was the case both sides of the tuner shouldnt work tho)..

You may be over amplified.. I had issues with both 1600 and 1800 when using a signal amp.. Both tuners are very picky about this.. I could never get a stable signal (QAM or OTA). Signal would jump 20% up and down...

It may be a driver issue (for whatever reason, it detects one side of the card and not the other).. Windows Update pulled a new driver for both my cards recently (in device manager they changed from 418 and 887 (hardware ver) to 1600 and 1800 (retail ver))
Old 07-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks Loomdog. I will try and track down my problems. I had QAM working great a couple of months earlier but man, OTA has been a pain. I just noticed you're from Permian. Not too far away from Lubbock.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Im in Big Spring.. My job has me covering Midland/Odessa, San Angelo, Abeline, and Lubbock - 100 mile radius with 4hr SLA... So ya..

Im there fairly often.. At one point in time I had an idea to use 4 OTA tuners and 4 antennas, 1 for each market (that is where I got the expecience with the signal bosters).. The HDHR kinda worked for this, but weather ultimatly killed it.. Now I get 1 OTA KWAB.. Usually jumps between 95-98% Signal on the 1600 (Its a rebroadcast of KWES in Midland/Odessa and the tower is 1 mile from my house).. Use the 1800 for QAM of the other 2 of 3 HD channels (FOX and CBS.. Dont care about the PBS station)
Old 07-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

To be honest, all I care about is CBS and NBC. Maybe FOX every now and then. ClearQAM was no problem. I haven't had a chance yet to see about the drivers but I believe that is my problem. NBC has been having some trouble as far as broadcast since the digital switch but I had it tuned in straight on my TV so something is fishy with the tuner. Would amplifying the signal be that big of a deal with 1600? Big Spring huh? I work with a guy from there. Hey, thanks for the input.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:59 PM

OK, well my problem is isolated. It's not signal strength as the card works perfectly with WinTV 7, WinTV 6, and MediaPortal.

It's Windows 7. I installed XP SP2 on another hard disk and SageTV works just fine with it, as far as picking up signals from the ATSC tuner. Not sure what's up, since I even changed codecs to ffdshow under Windows 7 but going to XP made the difference. I guess the Sage programmers have some work to do to support Win 7.

Now I have to figure out why the "OK" button and the four arrow keys around it don't work with my Hauppauge 45 button remotes, all three of them. Well the remotes worked perfectly with the other TV software packages, and they worked with SageTV under Windows 7. Under XP those five buttons don't work. The others, like the Guide button and the Pause button and so forth, work fine.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Sage User

Having the same issue with the Win7 Build 7600 with a HVR 1600 card...

Pick up all the local channels fine on Vista (dual booting). Changed everything in settings page for Sage to use all its internal decoders for MPEG2/4. Same result; 'No Signal'