SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:05 AM
Sage User

QAM scan w/ HVR-1600 getting No Signal

I am running Sage 6.35 with the latest drivers for the 1600, the 1600 is one of the models that support QAM (says it on the card as well), my cable is not split comes straight from cable company booster. Analog channles come in fine but when hook up to ATSC I get "No Signal". WinTV is not working properly in general so I haven't been able to test. I've seen a few others with the same problems but haven't seen a resolution. Please let me know if you have a solution. Thanks.

Last edited by tdalton; 01-11-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Sage User

I spoke to Hauppauge support today. Although they were not sure why it was not working they did reveal that Comcast and Time Warner cable are not compatible w/ WinTV and their signal meter tool which explains that not working but I am still curious if there's variances w/ the versions of the 1600 and different versions of Sage leading to the inconsistancies that we are seeing w/ some working and others such as myself not working.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:29 AM
Sage User

I just set up with an 1800 and a 1600 this weekend in a new box and ran into problems. I wasn't getting anything on QAM but our cable company has 40+ clear QAM channels. I switched to analog and discovered it wasn't seeing anything either. I put an S-Video source to it and checked. It was fine. When I went back to either the analog and QAM they were now fine. I have no idea why. This scenario played out on both the 1800 and the 1600. I also discovered that scanning for channels was very unreliable. It skipped around 20 of them. If I went back and manually added them it found them just fine with 100% signal.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:33 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelboy View Post
I just set up with an 1800 and a 1600 this weekend in a new box and ran into problems. I wasn't getting anything on QAM but our cable company has 40+ clear QAM channels. I switched to analog and discovered it wasn't seeing anything either. I put an S-Video source to it and checked. It was fine. When I went back to either the analog and QAM they were now fine. I have no idea why. This scenario played out on both the 1800 and the 1600. I also discovered that scanning for channels was very unreliable. It skipped around 20 of them. If I went back and manually added them it found them just fine with 100% signal.
I found digital cable to be very finicky with regards to connection quality. I rewired the cable in my house with good RG6QS but after I was done my TV (using a cablecard) would tune some channels and not others with no real consistency. After troubleshooting it turned out to be a loose fitting that fixed everything.
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Sage User

I wondered about manually adding channels, I'll give that a try. I also wondered about fittings but these look tight and QAM works fine going directly to my TV. Thanks for your info!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Sage User

Well I tried manually adding QAM channels using syntax xx.x and xx-x when the first format didn't work and I still can't get any channels in. I tried both coax cables that I have running to my Sage box and it made no difference. I think I am out of options now I've tried 2 different 1600s (both support QAM) I've tried the cable straight to my TV and it picks up QAM channels fine. My coax cables are RG6 w/ snug fittings and both are home runs to the AV distributor installed by Time Warner. According to Hauppauge they have compatibility issues w/ Time Warner's signaling which is why I can't get anything on the signal meter or winTV application. Sage is a clean install and I've tried removing and readding the card and doing multiple scans. Anything I left out that should be done?
Old 01-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdalton View Post
Well I tried manually adding QAM channels using syntax xx.x and xx-x when the first format didn't work and I still can't get any channels in. I tried both coax cables that I have running to my Sage box and it made no difference. I think I am out of options now I've tried 2 different 1600s (both support QAM) I've tried the cable straight to my TV and it picks up QAM channels fine. My coax cables are RG6 w/ snug fittings and both are home runs to the AV distributor installed by Time Warner. According to Hauppauge they have compatibility issues w/ Time Warner's signaling which is why I can't get anything on the signal meter or winTV application. Sage is a clean install and I've tried removing and readding the card and doing multiple scans. Anything I left out that should be done?
your syntax should be in xx-yy-zz something like 86-5-1, and when you add a new tuner to sage make sure that you disable all channels then do a scan it may take a while for the scan to finish but once that is done it should put green indicators next to all the digital channels that you get, from there all you should have to do is figure out the channel that it is showing then go to the channel in the EPG that you know the channel belongs to and map it to a different physical channel inputing the channel sage scan found (xx-yy-zz) hope that helps
Old 01-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the info. I wasn't able to find anything on the channel format. There is a good amount of information in the forums but it's all over the place. Well it's scanning now but I am still getting No Signal. It's only scanned 16 channels as I am typing this but since it says No Signal I have to believe that nothing will show up. I can't help but wonder if my Time Warner (Rochester, NY) is having another signaling issue that is not just incompatible with Hauppauge's software but also with Sage's software? Once this is done I'll try manually adding channels using the xx-yy-zz format. The lists of QAM channels that I have found are all formatted as 80.2 for example so I am assuming in Sage that would be setup as 80-2-1 ? If not please advise and thanks again.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Sage User

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you! I wanted to let you know that disabling all the channels then scanning WORKED! THANK YOU! This should definitely go into the official guide for setting up QAM.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

TW Rochester QAM ?

Will someone please outline how they have QAM set up for TW Rochester?
Which lineup, channels, etc?