SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-29-2009, 05:03 PM

Question Considering move to Sage from Windows Media Center

I'm currently considering moving to Sage from Windows 7 / Vista Media Center. I was wondering if someone can help convince me the move would be worthwhile.

My biggest gripe at the moment is the HDPVR integration. I've used a software product called DVBLink that is supposed to make this work with my Dish Network box. It's just buggy as all get out and I'm fed up with missing recordings. I have OTA HD and would like to fill in the gaps with my Dish set top box. How stable is the Sage integration with the HDPVR?

I also have a Dish DVR that my wife is OK with but she thinks the interface is kind of crappy. That's where Media Center came in. With the animated transitions, the nice integration of music and video, I thought it would be a great change.

One other problem I have is that I've already invested in two Xbox 360s and a Linksys extender (no longer supported). So I'd like to somehow still take advantage if possible of those devices - at least the 360s perhaps via DLNA or something.

I also have a Windows Home Server that could be my Sage server I suppose as I've read that is supported.

Any thoughts on the subject? My other consideration is just to dump the idea altogether, stick with the Dish DVR and put something in like Boxee to fill in the gaps with internet based programming.

Thanks for all your help in advance

-Don
Old 06-29-2009, 05:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Since it's summer and the TV season is a little slow now would be a good time to try at least. There's a trial period for SageTV you could try it out and see if you like it.

If you do that, be sure and post your progress and questions here on the forums - lots of help if you want/need it.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Sage Expert

I would go the WHS route. You'll need external tuners if you have the headless HP. I switch from MCE2005 6 months ago.

You won't be able to use your Linksys or Xbox extenders. I had 2 v1 linksys' and a 360 I don't use anymore.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:06 AM
Sage Icon

I am considering the opposite move, to Windows 7. Admittedly I don't have cable so I don't need the HDPVR but I like what they've done with Media Center including the integrated Netflix plugin (I know it's only in VMC now). I would use the Hulu Desktop app to catch some "cable" programs which I also think is nicely done.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

Your in the same boat that many others, including myself came from. I was a Tivo user, but didn't want to spend anohter $600 to convert 1 TV to HD. I tried the 2 Xbox 360 method, but it has limitations.

The HDPVR works fairly well, for most people. I do occasionally have lockups, and people do, mostly due to the Hauppauge drivers. I would say it is down to about 2 times a month now. Thankfully all I have to do now is push the power button on the HDPVR to bring it back to life.

WHS is a good choice, alot of people here like it, I don't myself, but many others rave about it. I would recommend getting a trial version of Sage, and install SageMC. It's easy, and you'll get a pretty UI. If you really like it, get the donator version of Comskip and watch the WAF go sky high.

Once you fall in love with sage, you can sell one of your xboxes(is that plural??) and your extender, and get a couple of HD200's.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjjones View Post
My biggest gripe at the moment is the HDPVR integration. I've used a software product called DVBLink that is supposed to make this work with my Dish Network box. It's just buggy as all get out and I'm fed up with missing recordings. I have OTA HD and would like to fill in the gaps with my Dish set top box. How stable is the Sage integration with the HDPVR?
All of the issues I've had w/ the HD PVR have been either bad HW (RMA'd) or crap drivers from Hauppauge. The newest set (1.0.5.6 - I think) have been very stable, no lockups or issues in several months.

That said, there are native Dish tuners coming to 7MC which will probably work better than the HD PVR. I haven't seen any pricing information, but I don't think they will be cheap (and you're tied to Dish).

Quote:
I also have a Dish DVR that my wife is OK with but she thinks the interface is kind of crappy. That's where Media Center came in. With the animated transitions, the nice integration of music and video, I thought it would be a great change.
IMO the picture/music experience in MC have more polish than Sage, but MC's implementation of video is horrible (distinct from TV); TV is a wash b/w the two. So it comes down to your priorities.

For me music and pictures are also-rans in a 10' world (music is more a headless and pictures a 2'). Being able to play everything (w/ subtitles) and get the same great experience no matter what platform (PC client or extender) has really made the platform for me*.

I used MC for almost 5 years before giving Sage a try. While it wasn't as easy to switch as I would have liked (we've done a lot to smooth the transition since then), it was completely worth the effort.

* Actually I should add that the attitude towards engagement with the user community is a huge differentiator b/w the platforms (and Sage is a real platform vs. MC which just pretends to be).

Quote:

One other problem I have is that I've already invested in two Xbox 360s and a Linksys extender (no longer supported). So I'd like to somehow still take advantage if possible of those devices - at least the 360s perhaps via DLNA or something.
electronics are depreciating assets - unfortunately I don't think it's possible to use either device w/ Sage
Old 06-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Sage Expert

Just hang out on thegreenbutton's forums. You'll see MCE's limitations and the fact that Microsoft doesn't really do much about it.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:31 PM

Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciated it. If Sage can prove much more stable (HD PVR issues aside) I think it will end up being a winner to me. I just feel like a schmuck at this point because I now have spent $ on a couple 360s and old XBMC Xboxes that will end up collecting dust because I'm too lazy to ebay them ;-)
Old 07-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Sage User

I'm new to SageTV after using a MyHD130 board for years with little to no problems. I also had MCE 2005 but never used it because it didn't work with the MyHD board so I just did everything manually.

I finally decided it was time to move on and get my other TVs hooked up through extenders or clients. I decided that network based devices were the best way to go so I bought an HDHomeRun and tried to get it to work with MCE 2005. Even with the latest patches, this won't work unless I buy an analog tuner. That was the deciding factor for me.

The primary reason I ditched MCE and went to SageTV is because it's independent of the OS. In fact, I'm now free to dump Windows entirely and switch to Mac or Linux if I choose.

Good luck!