SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-27-2009, 06:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Windows Home Server (WHS) and HVR-2250 Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)

I am moving my SageTV setup to WHS and I keep getting the BSOD every time I play live tv. Here is my setup:

Asus P5Q-EM MB
4GB Ram
Separate drive formatted 64k for TV
HVR-2250
Onboard Intel G45 graphics
Using XP drivers from Asus for chipset, graphics, sound, etc.
Using latest 27118 drivers from Hauppauge (also tried previous beta 27091 with same results)
HD-200 on HDTV

WHen I play live TV (SD or HD) I get choppy video and audio for a few seconds than WHS goes to the BSOD! I have tried playing with drivers and even reinstalled WHS with no change. Any ideas?

Last edited by heatvent; 06-27-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatvent View Post
I am moving my SageTV setup to WHS and I keep getting the BSOD every time I play live tv. Here is my setup:

Asus P5Q-EM MB
4GB Ram
Separate drive formatted 64k for TV
HVR-2250
Onboard Intel G45 graphics
Using XP drivers from Asus for chipset, graphics, sound, etc.
Using latest 27118 drivers from Hauppauge (also tried previous beta 27091 with same results)
HD-200 on HDTV

WHen I play live TV (SD or HD) I get choppy video and audio for a few seconds than WHS goes to the BSOD! I have tried playing with drivers and even reinstalled WHS with no change. Any ideas?
First off, I wouldn't use WHS as a playback client machine. Get an HD200 extender or use a second PC as a client. In the long run, an HD200 will save you the most grief, a second PC client will probably cause you some grief, and using WHS as a client will cause you the most grief

How about recordings? Does recording without doing any playback cause WHS to crash? Can you playback finished recordings without crashing? Can you playback a live TV recording where you're timeshifted back a couple of minutes (ie. start live TV, pause live TV for a couple of minutes, then resume playback)? Do the recordings playback in another media player like Window Media Player or Media Player Classic?

From your initial description I doubt it's a problem with the HVR or the Hauppauge driver. If you're getting choppy video and audio and then BSOD, I'd say the most likely culprits to look at first are your video driver, audio driver, and the audio/video decoders. Look for newer audio and video drivers and try different audio/video decoders or different audio/video decoder settings in the SageTV Detailed Setup menu.

If you're not running the latest Java and SageTV release candidate, it would be worth a shot to update those too.

Server Hardware: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R, Intel Q9550 CPU 2.83GHz, 11GB RAM, 1xHDHR, 1xHVR1600, 1xHVR2250
29TB Server Storage: 1TB SSD (OS), 1TB (data), 2x6TB+2x10TB (22TB FlexRaid storage pool), 2x2TB (recordings), 1x750GB (VMs).
Server Software: Win10 Pro x64 OS, SageTV 64bit v9.2.0.441, Java 1.8 u241, PlayOn, Comskip (Donator) v0.82.003, WampServer v2.5.
Clients: 3xHD300s, 2xHD100, 2xPlaceshifters
Old 06-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by robogeek View Post
First off, I wouldn't use WHS as a playback client machine. Get an HD200 extender or use a second PC as a client. In the long run, an HD200 will save you the most grief, a second PC client will probably cause you some grief, and using WHS as a client will cause you the most grief

How about recordings? Does recording without doing any playback cause WHS to crash? Can you playback finished recordings without crashing? Can you playback a live TV recording where you're timeshifted back a couple of minutes (ie. start live TV, pause live TV for a couple of minutes, then resume playback)? Do the recordings playback in another media player like Window Media Player or Media Player Classic?

From your initial description I doubt it's a problem with the HVR or the Hauppauge driver. If you're getting choppy video and audio and then BSOD, I'd say the most likely culprits to look at first are your video driver, audio driver, and the audio/video decoders. Look for newer audio and video drivers and try different audio/video decoders or different audio/video decoder settings in the SageTV Detailed Setup menu.

If you're not running the latest Java and SageTV release candidate, it would be worth a shot to update those too.
I am using a HD-200, therein lies most of my confusion. I thought all of the decoding was done on the HD200 so it didn't even matter if there was a video card on the server. Not sure if this is right. I put in a radeon HD 3400 series card that I had around and the issue has gotten better. SD works fine. I tried scanning HD channels and the SageTV service stopped. I restarted it and I am in process of scanning again. Also, FYI, I have the latest java installed but again, I thought this wasn't necessary since it's a headless system and is meant only to stream the video.

Can anyone confirm if any decoding happens on the server and/or why changing video drivers would have an impact?

Also, if anyone has a successful WHS setup I would be curious what video chipset you have.

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2009, 10:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Java you need. Some parts of Sage and plugins need to run .jar files. All supported file format decodings are done on the HD200. Unsupported file formats need to be transcoded. BSOD are usually hardware driver related. I imagine the drivers you are using aren't Windows 2003 server drivers. XP drivers should work but you may need to find the most compatible version. Intel drivers are the toughest because they usually recognize the OS and their installer refuses to install the drivers. You need to find another way to install the drivers. If WHS actually recognizes the driver then you can usually run with the generic. All of the server configuration should be performed from the HD200 since you are having these issues. My current WHS mb is a Biostar TF7050-M2 with the nVidia Geforce 7050PV/630a chipset. (Previously used as a Sage client with just enough horsepower to do h.264 in hardware.) All drivers are XP except for the audio which is W2k3 server. I ran Vista 64 bit as a Sage client. Board has never burped once as WHS. Make sure all service packs, power packs and security updates are done on WHS. Even though I don't do playback I made sure the latest DirectX was installed. DirectX is more than just video and it pay to make sure it is installed.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

I was still getting the occasional issue when I scanned channels so I installed the ATI Avivo codecs, Java and DirectX as well. We'll see how this goes.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

TV playback seemed to get better (with the SageTV codecs not the Avivo) but still had garbled video when playing back a recording. About to ditch this idea as it is too much troubleshooting unless someone has a surfire way to get this working.

UPDATE:

I think the recorded shows must have been from using the intel graphics. BTW I did get the intel graphics drivers loaded by right clicking on the device in device manager and manually selecting the drivers instead of using the autoinstaller.

I did a couple of short test recordings that seemed to work. I will stick with it for now although I may end up back with my Vista setup.

Last edited by heatvent; 06-27-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have officially given up on WHS. It would play video fine for a while but inevitible the video would get garbled and there would be hissing and screeching in the audio followed by a shutdown of the SageTV service and reboot of the PC. It was either an encoding or transcoding issue because recorded shows would do the same thing.

I liked many of the features of WHS but it's not worth the headache and the WAF was really low. So it's back to Vista for now and maybe W7 when available.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Sage Expert

But with all the folks using WHS with no problems, there has to be a resolution somewhere. It could be anything from drivers to overheating.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchSchaft View Post
But with all the folks using WHS with no problems, there has to be a resolution somewhere. It could be anything from drivers to overheating.
I'm using 2 of those capture cards in my WHS server, without any issues at all (I'm using them for dual-analog SD recording from each card, so for 4 SD tuners total). If you're getting garbled recordings, it's either a driver issue, or a hardware problem. For what it's worth, my Sage box has been more reliable than it ever was under XP/Vista. I'm also running an older driver-set for my 2250's, which pre-dates the supposed dual-analog recording crash fix. My system specs are in my sig (I don't THINK anything's changed lately though, lol). According to device manager, I'm running 26198 drivers from 7/16/08. The only drivers I don't have installed on my system currently are the onboard HD audio (not needed), and one unknown device (probably something like the SMbus, not sure though, as it's unknown ).

Just checked my Newegg order from when I set up the new machine, and the mobo is a ASUS M3A-H/HDMI AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G. It's got onboard ATI video (HD3200).

Last edited by heffe2001; 06-30-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think the issue is the trial/error/troubleshooting will take some time and possibly some money. The main reasons for wanting to use WHS is for access to files remotely (occasionally helpful) and auto backups of other pc's (I haven't had this working successfully yet either, always some reason it failed).

I can share files just fine in Vista and I don't use media connect and drivers are much easier to install and give you full fuctionality.

If I had more time, I would probably keep WHS, but troubleshooting an issue I know little about is just shooting in the dark, maybe I will hit something maybe I won't. I have tried the most logical things - swapped drivers on the 2250, swapped video cards (ATI was better but still had issues), tried swapping codecs but only some installed correctly and those worsened the issue. It's just frustrating and very time consuming to load a driver reboot test have the issue etc. etc. etc.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:23 AM
SageTVaholic

I know you have extenders but if you're trying to watch video on WHS that is part of your problem. WHS is a headless, backend media server and that's what it is designed for. WHS doesn't have DirectX installed and possibly other core software needed for good playback. There is no need to install codecs on WHS unless you're trying to view video. Viewing video can be driver intensive and you probably don't have any Windows 2003 server drivers installed. XP drivers will work but you would want to keep it down to the basic core functions of recording and serving up your media.
The installation of WHS Connector on other PCs should be all that is required for PC backups. If the PC also sleeps then make sure you check the setting to wake up the PC for backup and the appropriate setting in the PC's BIOS is set. If you're also having problems with this fundamental core function then you have more issues than you realize. Possibly a network issue. Especially if you get poor video playback on your extenders. The 2250's are functioning for other WHS users with the latest beta drivers.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.

Last edited by gplasky; 07-01-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
I know you have extenders but if you're trying to watch video on WHS that is part of your problem. WHS is a headless, backend media server and that's what it is designed for. WHS doesn't have DirectX installed and possibly other core software needed for good playback. There is no need to install codecs on WHS unless you're trying to view video. Viewing video can be driver intensive and you probably don't have any Windows 2003 server drivers installed. XP drivers will work but you would want to keep it down to the basic core functions of recording and serving up your media.
I only use the extenders to watch TV. Also, I have been told that the codecs are necessary. I would also add that when watching TV on an extender, I opened up sage on the WHS and went to detailed setup. When I changed the codecs to ATI Avivo, the CPU usage went up significantly and my issue with garbled video was worse. When I select the SageTV codecs, CPU usage went way down and issue is better but does occur after some time of use.

Quote:
The installation of WHS Connector on other PCs should be all that is required for PC backups. If the PC also sleeps then make sure you check the setting to wake up the PC for backup. If you're also having problems with this fundamental core function then you have more issues than you realize. Possibly a network issue.
Not a network issue, both are hooked up to the same router directly. Backup just fails. I think Bob Gavant noted some issues as well with his previous WHS setup.

Quote:
Especially if you get poor video playback on your extenders and the appropriate setting in the PC's BIOS is set.
What PC bios settings are you referring to?

Quote:
The 2250's are functioning for other WHS users with the latest beta drivers.
Which drivers are those? Currently there are no beta drivers. Also, as I posted, I tried the 27091 drivers with no improvement.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Also, I have been told that the codecs are necessary.
I have never installed any codecs for my WHS installation. Do you remember where you saw this requirement?
Old 07-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

I only use the extenders to watch TV. Also, I have been told that the codecs are necessary. I would also add that when watching TV on an extender, I opened up sage on the WHS and went to detailed setup. When I changed the codecs to ATI Avivo, the CPU usage went up significantly and my issue with garbled video was worse. When I select the SageTV codecs, CPU usage went way down and issue is better but does occur after some time of use.

Why are you doing this on the WHS server? You are actually opening Sage on the WHS which is a no-no. The only thing that should be running on the WHS is the Sage Service plug-in - that's it. You should be running detailed setup from the extender. Disconnect the monitor and keyboard from your WHS box and start accessing it remotely from a network pc. There is a WHS boot screen warning that tells you to stay away from directly accessing the system at the server.

I would give it another try by following the WHS setup guide to the letter and then tweak it from the extender. I have never added anything to my WHS box except the drivers for my pvr150, pvr500, and 2250. I manage my WHS box completely from a laptop.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:19 PM
SageTVaholic

If you're not viewing video on WHS then codecs aren't required.
The BIOS reference was for PCs that you sleep. My cut and paste wasn't working too well this morning. These are the latest 2250 drivers. 27118 I would run hwclear on the WHS to remove all remnants of the Hauppauge drivers and install the ones above. Also download MS DirectX latest runtime and install it on WHS. DirectX March2009 Make sure you run the WIndows update and install everything out there for WHS before you start installing java, applications, etc.

Gerry

Last edited by gplasky; 07-01-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlvogel322 View Post
I have never installed any codecs for my WHS installation. Do you remember where you saw this requirement?
Can't recall which thread. I think it was in reference to SageTV may need to do some transcoding so it does use the codecs somewhere. I wouldn't say its a requirement since Sage comes with codecs.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoetim View Post

Why are you doing this on the WHS server? You are actually opening Sage on the WHS which is a no-no. The only thing that should be running on the WHS is the Sage Service plug-in - that's it. You should be running detailed setup from the extender. Disconnect the monitor and keyboard from your WHS box and start accessing it remotely from a network pc. There is a WHS boot screen warning that tells you to stay away from directly accessing the system at the server.

I would give it another try by following the WHS setup guide to the letter and then tweak it from the extender. I have never added anything to my WHS box except the drivers for my pvr150, pvr500, and 2250. I manage my WHS box completely from a laptop.
I don't open it to watch TV, just to select new codecs which can't be done from the extender. I was originally under the impression that codecs were not necessary but the combination of the thread I read and can't remember where, the fact that when I selected new codecs my issue got better or worse and CPU usage changed and the fact that SageTV installs with codecs leads me to believe they somehow get used. Maybe someone from Sage can weigh in and let us now if this is myth or truth.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
If you're not viewing video on WHS then codecs aren't required.
The BIOS reference was for PCs that you sleep. My cut and paste wasn't working too well this morning. These are the latest 2250 drivers. 27118 I would run hwclear on the WHS to remove all remnants of the Hauppauge drivers and install the ones above. Also download MS DirectX latest runtime and install it on WHS. DirectX March2009 Make sure you run the WIndows update and install everything out there for WHS before you start installing java, applications, etc.

Gerry
I got it on the BIOS now. I have done the hwclear a couple of times and reinstalled 27118 and have also downloaded and installed MS DirectX...neither of these helped. Also did the updates before installing anything. Finally, I have done all of this twice (full reinstall startover).
Old 09-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Sage User

HeatVent - did you ever resolve your problems with watching/recording TV with the 2250 on your WHS? I'm having the same problems, have followed most of the advice in this thread and still get the BSOD.

One question (for anyone out there) - is it possible for a specific video card to be unsupported in WHS? I've got an ATI Radeon HD 4770. I'm thinking the issue is related to a hardware problem, but unsure how to resolve.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

EDIT
=======
I just fixed my problem. I installed the latest versions of: HD2250 driver, ATI HD4770 driver, DirectX v10, and latest vers of Java. TaDa! Everything works perfect! No more BSOD. No skipping. Just in time for my wife to record the season premier of Grey's Anatomy. Phew!

Last edited by Jeffek; 09-24-2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Problem fixed!
Old 09-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Sage Icon

Which 2250 driver version did you use?