SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV United Kingdom
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV United Kingdom SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from the UK - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in the UK.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via MSN to enterpryse
USBUIRT Help with Setup

Does anyone have a URL of a setup guide for this bit of kit. I've searched a lot and found loads of information some useful, some not, a lot of conflicting advice but nothing that provides a step by step guide.

All I want to do is control the Sky box (in the Garage) via the HD200 in the lounge (or MVP in other rooms). The Sage box is also in the garage.

Thanks in advance
Stuart

Last edited by enterpryse; 05-22-2009 at 04:32 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:38 AM
Sage Icon

You can program your USB-UIRT to control your STB. Do this on your SageTV server. Instructions are straight forward and start on page 152 of the SageTV 6.5 Users Guide (manual).

SageTV will learn and store the commands your STB's remote sends and use those commands to tune the STB.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 05-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

I hate it when its in the manual and I missed it. I'll have a play later and see how really easy it is.

Thanks Helen
Old 05-24-2009, 04:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

It seems to be almost set up. Using the Test functions in Sage (and a PC) I can change channels remotely with the USBUIRT but I suspect I am missing something quite key.

I need to pass the IR from the Remote associated with the STB via the extender to the sage box to "tell" the sage server change channel on the STB So...

... do the media extenders pass the IR to the server directly or is there a little more to tweak? . I am using an HD200 and a couple of Hauppauge boxes as extenders.

Thanks
Stuart
Old 05-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterpryse View Post
It seems to be almost set up. Using the Test functions in Sage (and a PC) I can change channels remotely with the USBUIRT but I suspect I am missing something quite key.

I need to pass the IR from the Remote associated with the STB via the extender to the sage box to "tell" the sage server change channel on the STB So...

... do the media extenders pass the IR to the server directly or is there a little more to tweak? . I am using an HD200 and a couple of Hauppauge boxes as extenders.

Thanks
Stuart
Once the commands from your STB are learned by SageTV, you can set that remote aside. SageTV will send the channel change commands it learned from your STB remote thru the USB-UIRT to your STB when you select a new channel on the HD200 or SageTV UI.

You can use your Hauppauge remote, an MCE remote, or other remote to control the SageTV UI.

When you select a channel from your HD200 or SageTV UI (using your remote of choice) SageTV in turn will pass the command to the SageTV server's USB-UIRT. which will in turn uses your STB ir commands to tune the STB.

They are two different things.
Your hand held remote controls the SageTV interface.
The USB-UIRT sends ir commands (the ones it learned) to the STB.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 05-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

In that case there must be a link to associate a play command (or any of the other commands) taken from the HD200 remote control to translate to the play command for the STB via the USBUIRT while that source is selected.

When I set up the Sage box and "learnt" the commands from the STB using the USBUIRT I didn't have to make this link. Have I missed part of the programming process?

Stuart

Actually, having tried now for a little while I can't get this to work at all with the remote, any remote.

Last edited by enterpryse; 05-24-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Sage Icon

SageTV is the link. What remote control are you using to control your HD200? I use the remote control that came with the HD200 to control mine.

When you select a channel to watch (say from the program guide), the HD200 sends a signal to the SageTV server (via ethernet) telling the server to execute the channel change.

The server sends the ir commands to change to the selected channel throught the USB-UIRT to the STB using the remote codes the server learned from your remote.

If you aren't able to get this working, you should post the model of the Sky STB you are using to feed the TV signal to the SageTV server. Maybe someone with that specific box can help you. Some boxes and remotes do have unique quirks.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yep, still not working;

By testing the IR codes from the Sources Setup page I can do everything I need to which is great, well almost.

Since the server has learnt the codes and I can use them in a test mode it just seems to be that the IR codes from the remote control are either not being fed to the Sage server from the extender (s) or the Server doesn't know what to do with them. There must either be a look up table somewhere, or, when the composite source is selected Sage assumes that all IR commands should be directed to the STB. Having experimented I can safely say that it isn't the latter.

Either way Sage doesn't seem to accept the IR commands or re-transmit them.

Simply
When when the STB source is selected (and I'm watching it) and I press 101 on the Remote how does Sage know I want to select 101 on the STB and not Sage Channel 101?? it actually changes to Sage 101 in my case.

I've concluded, possibly wrongly, that there is a step I've missed out so here's what Ive done;

0.5 Loaded USBUIRT drivers
1. Added a composite source
2. selected tuning via USBUIRT
3. Trained the system to recognize digits 0-9
4. Selected no EPG
5. Added additional commands (another issue for later!) such as Guide
6. Used the Test IR Code function locally and via client (using mouse) - works no problem!
7. Using Hauppauge MVP tried the Hauppauge remote and the STB remote to initiate commands, unsuccessfully.
8. Using HD200 Box and remote repeated the same as in 7, again with no luck.
9. Lost a lot of hair and patience

All the above has been repeated both as a service and standalone.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
When when the STB source is selected (and I'm watching it) and I press 101 on the Remote how does Sage know I want to select 101 on the STB and not Sage Channel 101?? it actually changes to Sage 101 in my case.
SageTV 101 is (or should be) your STB's 101. Selecting 101 in your SageTV program guide should tune to channel 101 on your STB.

I would try setting up some type of EPG even if it's not accurate. SageTV might not think that there are any valid channels to tune without a guide. (I'm not sure on this though as I've never tried to run without a program guide).

Once you have some sort of guide set up you can map channel numbers to stations.

I don't know what kind of guides are available for the UK (Sky is UK, right?), so I'm at a loss here. Hopefully someone in your area will pipe in with help.

Have you used search here and looked for Sky?
Here's a post with users from UK and Ireland. Maybe you can PM one of them for help.
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...d.php?p=357778

EDIT: Here's another:
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...d.php?p=216931

Last edited by HelenWeathers; 05-25-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks Heather but I don't think this is specific to Sky as I don't see the LED's on the USBUIRT flashing when a command is sent to the STB.

I am sure someone in UK has this working OK, I'll just keep on experimenting and waiting.

Stuart
Old 05-26-2009, 02:22 AM
Sage Fanatic

I haven't used a USBUIRT in a while but have a read of this thread

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=263787

When you press 101 on the guide, you will tune to the Sage's channel number 101, so it might be best to make sure your sage channel numbers are the same as Sky's. I've never changed channel this way though, I always selected the channel in the guide.

The IR files in that thread should work fine for either a Sky digibox or Sky+ box.

I 'think' but can't remember whether those IR files have the blue button programmed as a prefix - that way if the STB is on standby it will automatically be switched on.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Well just an update, no further forward with USBUIRT at all and in the process I'm messed up the EPG and remembered what I hate about this system - that it needs two other software add ons that are an absolute nightmare to set up

Rant over.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I need to pass the IR from the Remote associated with the STB via the extender to the sage box to "tell" the sage server change channel on the STB
Just to be very clear: you cannot "proxy" a remote via SageTV. I mean that you cannot use your original STB remote on the extender and that SageTV will recognize the IR an pass it on to the STB.

Instead, SageTV send on its own behalf IR codes to the STB with the IR blaster. The codes it send are those you have learned first. SageTV sends the IR codes when it will tune to a channel (for viewing and recording). So if you select a program to view in the EPG (with either a mouse / keyboard if you are on the client, or with the remote extender when you use the extender), SageTV will use the blaster to tune the STB. There is really no relaying of remotes IR here.

Quote:
6. Used the Test IR Code function locally and via client (using mouse) - works no problem!
7. Using Hauppauge MVP tried the Hauppauge remote and the STB remote to initiate commands, unsuccessfully.
8. Using HD200 Box and remote repeated the same as in 7, again with no luck.
In point 7 & 8, when you use the remote, what are you doing exactly, typing a channel number when you are viewing the program guide or already watching live TV?

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks Stephane.

The Sage box has been taught the commands of the STB. I originally taught it all the commands I could but now having installed and uninstalled so many times I have left it at the numbers 0-9.

I don't understand how the sage box knows when to blast a command to the STB or accept the command for normal usage For example if I am watching Sage 001 and type 002 using the remote Sage changes channel to 002 correctly. If I am watching the channel for the STB (say 100) and type 101 using the same remote I would expect the STB to change channel to 101 but it remains on the CH100 itself after trying to change to Sage channel 101 which doesn't exist.

In points 7 and 8 I am watching the STB channel, live TV, and then using the extender remote control keying 101 to try and change the STB channel. The STB isn't 'blasted' and the Sage box attempts to tune 101

Sorry this is a little confusing!
Old 06-01-2009, 05:26 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I don't understand how the sage box knows when to blast a command to the STB
It knows it because you create a videosource that use a channel change blaster plugin. SageTV will so use the channel change plugin for this videosource each time you tune a channel on this videosource.

For a minute, just pretend SageTV is only a software that run on your PC and respond only to mouse and keyboard. Now, you go to the SageTV program guide, select a program to view on channel 101.

Channel 101 is only present on the videosource connected to the STB, and this videosource use a channel change plugin. SageTV will start the capture on the STB (via composite / S-Video ... on the PC tuner card) and issue the channel change request via the blaster to the STB.

SageTV will do the same thing when you schedule a recording. At the time your recording start, the SageTV UI (Client / Extender) isn't even running. SageTV use the channel change blaster plugin on its own: you don't have to use a remote for the channel to change on the STB.

Quote:
If I am watching the channel for the STB (say 100) and type 101 using the same remote I would expect the STB to change channel to 101 but it remains on the CH100 itself after trying to change to Sage channel 101 which doesn't exist.
If the 101 channel doesn't exists on the SageTV lineup, there is no way SageTV will issue a channel change request on the STB to the channel 101.

So be sure that in the SageTV Manual:

* "Source Setup" / Step 2A: Device Input => Select Composite or S-Video
* "Source Setup" / Step 3B: TV Tuner Tuning Option => Use External Receiver is selected
* "Source Setup" / Step 5 : Tuning plugin => Choose USB-UIRT
* "Source Setup" / Step 6 : Add a device or choose an existing one (this is where you learn the STB IR Remote Codes)

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks Stephane. I am pretty sure I have done all this with the exception of one thing, I havn't added a EPG so when I see it in my guide I just see "No Data".

Should I somehow have mapped all the STB channels into Sage's EPG??

Stuart
Old 06-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Thanks Stephane. I am pretty sure I have done all this with the exception of one thing, I havn't added a EPG so when I see it in my guide I just see "No Data".
It doesn't matter, as long as you have the channel in the guide (filled with "No Data").

One other thing : the USB-UIRT cannot be shared by processes with a different security context. So if you are using the SageTV service this may be your issue.

Once you have all set up in the SageTV client (up to the channel change test within the videosource config). Close the client, shutdown SageTV service and restart it. Now try to tune to a channel.

When you do this: we are sure that the SageTV client hasn't locked the USB-UIRT so that it could be used by the service.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just as a quick update to this.

I introduced a separate EPG just for the composite input and allocated the sky channels along with the sky channel numbers and guess what, it works!

Now all I want to do it work out how to control the timeshifting functions of the Sky box via sage, I don't expect to have much success with this though!

Thanks for all the advice folks
Old 06-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Now all I want to do it work out how to control the timeshifting functions of the Sky box via sage
I can't find a reason for doing this!? SageTV will do the timeshift: it will record the sky box output (live feed) and you'll be able to pause the SageTV playback (SageTV will continue to record).

If you do the timeshift on the Skybox, SageTV will record a paused image for the whole duration of the pause... and when you'll skip back / skip forward, SageTV will also record this... in the end you'll get a very funny recording to watch (if you want to keep it for watching it later)

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hi Stephane

The reason for this is that the STB can, like Sage, record two things at a time or play and record at the same time. Its a "nice to have" I suppose.

You are quite right, putting anything into pause on the stb would be rather weird when played back on Sage!!

Cheers