SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Sage User

Is bookmarks implementation planned?

I can see this is an old feature request never being implemented: is there any plan to do it in a near future?

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Not sure what you're asking for.

If by "bookmarks" you mean saving your place in a show/video and the ability to start back where you left off, then that is a feature SageTV has and has had for a long time.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Sage User

Sorry, I thought it was clear what "bookmarks" meant:

the ability to set an arbitrary number of "reminders" or "indexes" or "chapters" or whatever we want to call them in arbitrary points of a video or a recording while watching it.

And, of course, the ability to jump from one to the next during a playback.

I think I don't need to list the many situations when this would be quite handy.

IIRC, even the old VCRs had some sort of an indexing system.

Not to mentions 10-15 years old STBs with an hard disk.

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:53 PM
SageTVaholic

This would be fairly straightforward to implement as a third-party add-on. I don't know offhand whether such an add-on exists; have you checked the Downloads section?

If there isn't one, that could explain why it hasn't been a priority for the Sage devs: if it's easy to implement, but nobody bothered, that implies a fairly low demand.

Also, historically it hasn't been the habit of the Sage devs to announce new features before they're implemented. Typically the first we hear about it is when it shows up in a beta.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
This would be fairly straightforward to implement as a third-party add-on. I don't know offhand whether such an add-on exists; have you checked the Downloads section?
Yes, and I didn't find anything.

Quote:
If there isn't one, that could explain why it hasn't been a priority for the Sage devs: if it's easy to implement, but nobody bothered, that implies a fairly low demand.
Probably the demand is low among people who are able to create a plugin or an add-on because they use SageTV in a different way than the average user (and wives) do.
For instance, in the Foobar forum, I learned that programmers tend to use the keyboard and not the mouse so they will never need a mouse based add-on and probably will never develop one. But the average user would maybe be glad to have one. (This is just an example, of course)

Quote:
Also, historically it hasn't been the habit of the Sage devs to announce new features before they're implemented. Typically the first we hear about it is when it shows up in a beta.
Yes, of course there is no reason to announce new features in advance. Mine wanted only to be a feature request gentle bumping.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiotv View Post
I think I don't need to list the many situations when this would be quite handy.
Actually, I think you might want to. I don't think I have ever had a need for this. The only reason I could see the need for a bookmark, is if there was a part of a show I wanted to revisit over and over again, and IF I ever had that need I would much rather clip that section out of my recording rather than keep the whole recording. Am I missing something?
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 04-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Sage User

Probably, we are finding bookmarks so useful because we are still using two Topfield STBs with hard disk to watch FTA satellite programs and with them you can easily place as many bookmarks as you like on a recording. Yes, they don't have the "auto bookmark at stop" and the "watched" features though.

We find it useful and time saving in everyday use at least for these reasons:

1 - while the daughter is at school, the wife can easily mark the beginning of each cartoon in a 3 hours recording done in the morning with no need of comskip or videoredo or else. That recording will be deleted in the evening after it has being watched. Unfortunately its content can change avery day.

2 - some show can contain many different performances and I don't see why I should be bothered to have to cut that in pieces insted of being able to place index marks to easily jump from one performance to the next

3 - I'm watching a course about impressionism and in different moments of a lesson they show the paintings they are talking about. I'd like to mark those points to be able to come back there whenever I like: shall I have to cut it in pieces?

4 - I can use Sage to watch family videos too. The same as above, just index your interesting points instead of tear everything out.

Am I correct that I should use an external app to do the cutting?

If yes, you can understand that, wifewise, it's not the best way.
We already have that time bar with differently marked points (watched till here; started from here; recorded to here and so on), so let's use it to place marks and to see where they are.

And: isn't already programmed a bookmarking function in SageTV? Yes, it is. Every time you press "stop" some code in SageTV will call the "please place a bookmark here" function. So, where is the problem (apart the programmers work, of course) in making this function avalaible as an independent command mappable to a keyboard shortcut?
When it's there, you are free to leave it alone.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Probably, we are finding bookmarks so useful because we are still using two Topfield STBs with hard disk to watch FTA satellite programs and with them you can easily place as many bookmarks as you like on a recording. Yes, they don't have the "auto bookmark at stop" and the "watched" features though.

We find it useful and time saving in everyday use at least for these reasons:

1 - while the daughter is at school, the wife can easily mark the beginning of each cartoon in a 3 hours recording done in the morning with no need of comskip or videoredo or else. That recording will be deleted in the evening after it has being watched. Unfortunately its content can change avery day.
Sage records each show as a separate item/file/recording, it doesn't (if used optimally) record blocks of time on certain channels. So marking the beginning/end of shows is done automatically by the recording engine.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Sage records each show as a separate item/file/recording, it doesn't (if used optimally) record blocks of time on certain channels. So marking the beginning/end of shows is done automatically by the recording engine.
IIRC that depends from the EPG data.

Unfortunately, here in Italy, that data are not always reliable so, after many trials we have reverted using timed recording instead.

In any case, that children program we daily record in the morning, in the EPG is listed as a single block even if it lasts a couple of hours and it has many different sections inside: 3 or 4 toons + linking sections + ads.

Another annoying thing is that the content is not always the same: they don't always show the same toons and when they do, the starting time can be different. So we usually apply a large padding to be sure not to loose anything.
And for the ads, we just don't want to use another app to do indexing. Let alone the removal.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
And: isn't already programmed a bookmarking function in SageTV? Yes, it is. Every time you press "stop" some code in SageTV will call the "please place a bookmark here" function.
To be fair, what Sage does now is "please place the bookmark here." The hard part is not placing it, it's going from a single bookmark to multiple user-selectable bookmarks per recording, which requires not just the ability to store multiple bookmarks in the database, but also new UI for setting, recalling, and deleting them.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Do they move the time slot of the cartoons? Just wondering if smaller chunks of time would work better for this?
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 07-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Sage User

I record HD concert videos from my HD-PVR. Having a bookmarks feature would allow me to easily skip from one song to the next without having to search for the beginning of each song manually.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:58 AM
SageTVaholic

You can always try adding your cutpoints to an .edl file, and use a comskip plugin or sagemc. This would allow you to skip through the cutpoints and get to your desired points.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Sage Icon

I was going to suggest the .edl files as well, if there were a way to set them from the UI, then the functionality he's wanting would be there.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Sage User

Bookmarks is something I've always wanted, even back when I ran Windows Media Center. Sometimes I'll be watching a show or game and there is something that I want the family to see but I don't want to stop watching. To have dynamic bookmarks on the fly would be huge. I hate writing time stamps on white boards!
Old 07-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
You can always try adding your cutpoints to an .edl file, and use a comskip plugin or sagemc. This would allow you to skip through the cutpoints and get to your desired points.
Great idea! Wait... what's an .edl file?
Old 07-09-2009, 01:31 AM
SageTVaholic

.edl files are "Edit Decision Lists". They are basically a list of timestamps to use as markers in the media. If I recall, the format is:
[Begin] [End] [Action]

Begin and End are numbers (in seconds) for the cut area. Action varies, but I believe it's 0 for cut, 1 for mute. All we're concerned with here is 0. My guess is you'd be okay making a .edl file with say a 0.1 second 'cut' region. It would allow you to skip ahead and back to each of these regions. The lacking feature here is an 'in-sage' method of creating/editing those files.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Sage Icon

Personally I wouldn't see much use for this for recorded TV shows (since I usually watch them once then delete them). However, for other video files that I keep and re-watch (such as movies) I could see an advantage.

DVD's support chapters, most other video formats do not. Of course the chapters can only be defined while the DVD is being authored. An external "bookmark file" to store user-defined chapters would allow you to have chapters in other video formats (like AVI, or MPG). Might be a neat idea...
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 07-11-2009, 06:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001 View Post
I was going to suggest the .edl files as well, if there were a way to set them from the UI, then the functionality he's wanting would be there.
This functionality in the UI does exist! I think the "Video Editing" import by BobPhoenix will do bookmarks as you want by creating your own edl file (default or sageMC).
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22312

Last edited by wado1971; 07-11-2009 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:52 AM
SageTVaholic

I KNEW there was a plugin that could do this, jsut couldn't find it. Not sure how well that old plugin works, as it's a bit dated (last update in 07 I believe). Still, if it works, then yes, this IS close to what he wanted. Not quite as nice as a simple 'press this button while watching or paused', but a good start.