SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Sage User

Can't connect to second Server

We've got two SageTV servers running on our LAN, and can connect via PlaceShifter to the first one using either the Locator ID or IP address. No problem.

But on the second one, we can't connect using either Locator ID or IP address + port (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:31000).

Here is what I get in the Setup / Detailed Setup / Server / Configure Placeshifter Internet Connection:

Which is exactly what I have in the router, forwarded just like I did for the first server, but using 31000 as the external port instead of the default 31099. And the computer is set up with a static IP.

And so, after re-starting SageTV server, I check the configuration and it shows just like I have it set up:

But when I test the connection to the Locator ID server, I get:

And of course I cannot connect via Placeshifter.

To make sure port forwarding was being done correctly, I turned off SageTV and set up Ultr@VNC server to listen on internal port 31099. Then from another network I ran the VNC client and pointed it to the IP address and the external port 31000. Good connection. So I feel certain port forwading is working OK.

Port 8018, which is used by the Locator ID server is outgoing only, according to an email I got from SageTV tech support. So there shouldn't be a need to pinhole that port.

What am I missing here?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by tworedsocks; 03-12-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: To subscribe
Old 03-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Sage User

bump
Old 03-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Sage Expert

First, Can you connect to the server using Placeshifter insider your LAN using the IP address? You didn't specify.

Just as a process of elimination, did you try switching the forwarding on the router to the different servers? In other words, you currently have:

ServerA listening on 31099 with router port 31099
ServerB listening on 31099 with router port 31000

Can you change the router forwarding to

ServerA listening on 31099 with router port 31000
ServerB listening on 31099 with router port 31099

And connect to ServerB using the IPAddress (I wouldn't use the Locator for this test; it just eliminates one more step in the process). If it connects OK, then it's either your router (which I think you've ruled out using your VNC test) or something in the Placeshifter Manager not allowing you to connect to an alternate port.

If it doesn't connect OK, then there's something amiss with the server.
Hope that helps
Stu
Old 03-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Sage User

Stu,

Thanks for your reply.

We can connect to both servers internally using the client software, but I didn't try it with the Placeshifter. I'll try that.

And I'll also try your idea on swapping the port forwarding. It will be about a week before I can implement these ideas, and I'll post back then.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Sage User

Stu (or anyone else out there up for a challenge

I've gone through your directions and here are the results:

1) On the LAN, I can connect from multiple computers to both servers, using either the client software or the PlaceShifter software.

2) I reversed the port forwarding so that the one that would not connect remotely started using the default port of 31099 and the one that was working remotely began using port 31000. Result: The one on the default port worked and the one on the alternate port couldn't connect (either by IP or Locator ID).

The fact that VNC worked through the alternate port, combined with the fact that I was able to get the non-connecting one to work by giving it the default port, makes me think Sage TV is somehow rejecting the packets forwarded from external port 31000 (?).

I don't think changing routers would help because (1) this is a standard router as far as I'm aware (Westell Versalink) and (2) the port forwarding for one port works with Sage and for the other port works with a different app.

So, I'm stumped.

Last edited by tworedsocks; 03-24-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: spelling correction