SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 03-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Sage Fanatic

Because my MJ includes unlimited local and LD, my cell is used mostly for emergencies and I can use a prepaid cell for 100 dollars per year. While the MJ does require the computer to be on (or it goes to VM), I have my computers on 24/7 anyway so that's a non-issue for me. My cell+MJ bill only runs 120.00/year.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Sage Fanatic

I'm glad this thread popped up! I did some more investigation and then ran out to Radio Shack yesterday to pick one up for $39.95 which includes the first year of service.

So far I have been pleased with the test calls I have made and received. I have a landline for the house and use a separate Vonage line for work calls and that has been very poor. I'll give it another week of calls to see how it holds up before canceling my pricier Vonage. I will be in Europe for a week or two and be able to have as many free calls back home and to the company without a big charge to my expenses (maybe I can get them to pay for the MJ). They had a deal to add 5 years of service for $59 as well.

I'm not to concerned about the E911 since this is just for an added business line, but it does shows the current 911 address at the bottom of the calling window. It is in a combo box so that you can quickly set it to other addresses that you have previously entered, or you can select an option in that combo to add a new location.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:42 AM
SageTVaholic

BestBuy has them too. I picked mine up there.

B
Old 03-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Sage Expert

I have been using Vonage since 2004. I have been very happy. The only problems I had with quality is when Comcast dropped the upstream from 3 megs to 2 megs (with the other 1 meg reserved for its exclusive VOIP network). When I switched to FIOS, all my problems went away.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 03-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Sage Icon

Interesting. MJ...I've heard someone else mention where I work. I might look into that. The only thing I don't like is the non-ported number until later this year.

Does anyone have a wi-fi phone or a cell phone dock or wifi enabled cell phone which you use instead of a house phone?
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Sage User

Magic Jack

I have a computer just for my Sage (dell 2400). I was thinking to add the MJ to that computer becasue it is allready on 24/7. Has anyone tryed this? I don't want to interfear with my sage recordings or playback. Also Has anyone tried to use the MJ for a fax line?
Old 04-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueOnda View Post
Interesting. MJ...I've heard someone else mention where I work. I might look into that. The only thing I don't like is the non-ported number until later this year.

Does anyone have a wi-fi phone or a cell phone dock or wifi enabled cell phone which you use instead of a house phone?
I've had 2 MagicJacks for well over a year now. They've been promising number porting for at least 8 months now and it's not here yet. Realistically, it will NEVER arrive. Why? The existing number is 'owned' by the phone company that provides your landline - where is the financial incentive for them to release the number so a competitor can use it? It's just not going to happen. Don't get me wrong, I love my MJ's but I'm realistic about what to expect for $20/year.

They've been great - I got my Mom hooked up over Christmas with a 'Jack. I ALWAYS recommend a Tracfone as a backup just in case the isp goes down, but I've never had to use that since I've been using MJ.

Ultimately, you have to ask yourself if your existing landline number is worth your approx $300/year. Me, I'd rather save the $300 - and send out a bulk mail to everyone I know letting them know the new number.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 04-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Sage Icon

I know there was a law (i'm in california), don't know if a fed or state law but companies must let go of the number. However, I don't know the law exactly and companies can lag on doing so.

I found out my dad is paying ~$70 a month for a regular phone for free long distance. That is crazy! He doesn't leave his computer on, so I think Ooma or Vonage would be a good fit for him. I actually have Vonage now but thinking of switching to Ooma, just because if the computer goes down, my wifey can still call me about the down computer (but of course she does still have her cell phone as backup).
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 04-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Sage Icon

I just ordered Ooma to try out. I like the voicemail button on the device (good Wifey Factor). + if I don't like it I can just return it within 90 days from a certain store (even though it was $20 more).

There is also a voip tester I just found today, which I need to test my internet when I get home.

My Vonage is great but the wifey complains from time to time. If anything goes wrong she complains and say it's always goes wrong (even if there is months in between or a different issue.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Sage User

Another option: I used an Actiontec Vosky skype box to add a skype line to my home pbx--You can pick one up for about $35 now.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Been using MJ for a while now. Used it on a thin client first and then moved my SIP info to a Linksys PAP2. Using it on a dedicated thin client or ATA is the best solution. While you can get it running fine on a regular PC or server, it has to compete for fluxuating resources.

I have a pretty detailed thread on thin client usage and upgrades over at the unofficial magic jack support forum.

I also wrote a utilities suite that includes an app to get your SIP info from the MJ which is on the same forum for those interested.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:03 AM
SageTVaholic

I have a dlink ata I would like to unlock, anyone know how to do that? Or, where can I buy a mj compatible ata which is unlocked?

B
Old 04-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
I have a dlink ata I would like to unlock, anyone know how to do that? Or, where can I buy a mj compatible ata which is unlocked?

B
Don't know about that model, but the pap2-na is a good choice (i.e. eBay Example).

If you go with a PAP2, be careful of the Vonage ones. Once they are used on the Vonage network, they are locked to it and nearly impossible to unlock. I have one and had this guy unlock it for me for $20 and its a permanent unlock, so I essentially have the NA version. If you can find a PAP2 that is Vonage, but has never been connected to the Internet then you can do a soft unlock with some work. However, its possible doing it this way that it could get locked to Vonage. The permanent unlock is the way to go.

There are also the Sunrocket Gizmo ATAs that are floating around. There are unlock instructions on the web and they work with MJ (tested one myself).

My ATA knowledge is somewhat limited, but I know that these 2 work well from personal experience.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for the info, I picked up a BIN version on ebay.

B
Old 04-25-2009, 12:10 PM

We bought a LinkSys box for our small office Voip system and it's proven to be very reliable.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueOnda View Post
I just ordered Ooma to try out.
What do you think so far? I had not heard of Ooma before this thread, and it looks very promising to me. And I like being able to port my numbers to it.

One concern I have: what happens if the company goes belly up with no notice? How would you be able to port your number to an alternative service?

CallVantage is being shut down, but at least it is pre-announced and you have a chance to port the numbers again so you don't lose them. What I'd hate is to have a sudden termination and no ability to reclaim the numbers you have had for decades.

Am I just being paranoid?

Last edited by Sam; 04-29-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:43 AM
SageTVaholic

A friend of mine has Ooma and likes it. The number porting is of some concern, but the initial cost was more of a determination for me. I am going to port my primary number to MagicJack when it becomes available (porting that is) and run both lines off the PAP2.

It'll save me $50/mo on VZ.

B
Old 05-03-2009, 09:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroths View Post
Don't know about that model, but the pap2-na is a good choice (i.e. eBay Example).

If you go with a PAP2, be careful of the Vonage ones. Once they are used on the Vonage network, they are locked to it and nearly impossible to unlock. I have one and had this guy unlock it for me for $20 and its a permanent unlock, so I essentially have the NA version. If you can find a PAP2 that is Vonage, but has never been connected to the Internet then you can do a soft unlock with some work. However, its possible doing it this way that it could get locked to Vonage. The permanent unlock is the way to go.

There are also the Sunrocket Gizmo ATAs that are floating around. There are unlock instructions on the web and they work with MJ (tested one myself).

My ATA knowledge is somewhat limited, but I know that these 2 work well from personal experience.
My PAP2 arrived today. Do you have a configuration profile you'd share with me? I have grabbed the SIP info using your tools, but I am not certain of all the fields to fill out.

TIA

B
Old 05-03-2009, 09:32 AM
SageTVaholic

I found this: http://magicjackhacks.aforumfree.com...-setup-t13.htm

Firmware here: http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/PAP2T

B

Last edited by bcjenkins; 05-03-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've been using MJ for over a year now, most times call quality is fine, certain times of the day and depending where your talking to and which route your call is routed, I have drop outs, usually more so on incoming calls, inwhich I just call that person back and it seems to clear right up.

I run my MJ on my sage server because its already on 24/7 anyways.