SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Sage User

XP vs Vista for new install

I am going to start a new install from scratch, starting with the operating system. Which way should I go?
My Computer is build.

Vista w/Media Center
XP Home
XP w/Media Center
New Windows 7 Beta

-Eric
Old 01-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

All Common wisdom I have seen on the forums here indicate that vista adds nothing (well except some headaches)

XP Pro, or XP w/Media Center gives you the capability to remote desktop to your server (can't do that with XP Home)

I have no idea about windows 7 beta

And not to add to your confusion but what about windows home server?

I'd say the popularity of windows OSs for sage would be:
XP Pro
XP Media Center (with the media center disabled)
Windows Home Server
Vista
Server 2003
XP Home
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300
Old 01-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Sage Fanatic

I'd go WHS for the server...
Old 01-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

XP pro SP3 is solid for this, can't comment on WHS never used it....

just looking at Vista scares me

2xhd300
Old 01-11-2009, 10:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzominator View Post
I'd say the popularity of windows OSs for sage would be:
XP Pro
XP Media Center (with the media center disabled)
Windows Home Server
Vista
Server 2003
XP Home
How does one go about disabling the media center?

Thanks,
Old 01-12-2009, 04:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

If your going to use it as a client as well as a server then vista adds EVR rendering, which should make you playback smoother.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:35 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjohn View Post

Thanks,
2 services to disable and thats it.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricandLorrie View Post
I am going to start a new install from scratch, starting with the operating system. Which way should I go?
My Computer is build.

Vista w/Media Center
XP Home
XP w/Media Center
New Windows 7 Beta

-Eric
Recommendations:
Just as server:
Windows Home Server (especially if you'll have PCs as clients)
Client recommendation:
HD200 (over a PC client-but strictly Sage use only)
Just as client (If you choose NOT to use the extender):
Vista (32 bit or 64 bit)
Server/client:
XP Pro (or Vista 32 bit without UAC)

My recommendation is to use a server for SageTV only and put it away from the watching area. Anywhere you have a TV consider putting an HD200. Now if you have a bunch of PCs and want to use them I would go with Vista w/o UAC because EVR will give you a better HD picture.
If I was going to run just one machine for recording and viewing I would recommend XP Pro. If you want to work a little harder and have a newer machine then you could try 32 bit Vista w/o UAC. (without UAC will make it easier for you to configure and edit your setup for tuning and tweaking. 32 bit drivers for your tuners are more plentiful.)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjohn View Post

Thanks,
This worked for me before

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29614
Old 01-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Many perspectives...

First I run Sage on the following Platforms. Vista 64 bit, Windows Home Server, Windows XP MCE, Ubuntu Linux, and Macintosh. In otherwords every platform it is available for.

I run Vista 64bit (Ultimate edition with a minimal install, no media center, no fluff) for my primary sage server. I am extremely happy with it. Vista 64bit has offered me far more stability and performance than XP every did. I have maintained system uptimes longer than the time it takes to release new versions of SageTV itself. Vista has been a wonderful thing. Vista 64 enabled me to do more with the same hardware than I previously was able to do with Windows XP (Media Center Edition with Media Center disabled). I now run client free, only using Placeshifter and 5 HD Extenders (4 HD100s and 1 HD200) and 1 MediaMVP) It also is runing with 5 tuners

I run my secondary (Back Up) Sage Server on a WHS box. I am extremely happy with it, but only use it for feature testing or to hold a functional fallback in the even an upgrade doesn't work. It is EXTREMELY easy to setup and run, if you are starting from scratch and don't mind the thought, I give WHS my highest recommendation. It is just simple. And extremely versital for a home environment (Backups, Storage, Website hosting.. etc..)

My Third Server is on a Ubuntu Linux Server (a Restricted Content Server). I really like it, but it does take a little more to get running. My Linux server is extremely stable, and runs with very little horsepower. (it is an EPIA box, nice and green)

My Mac I use for maintaining skill parity, and sometimes I can work with my media files more efficiently on the Macintosh. (All depends on what I want to get done.) I run a Mac Mini (orginal PowerPC) and it also runs very nicely. I only have one USB tuner on it.

I retired my longstanding Windows XP MCE Server in favor of my Vista 64 bit box. Same hardware, same box, Vista does more, more efficiently, with more stablity and with less overhead or support (mine).

All in all Vista 64, Windows Home Server and Linux run much stabler for me and with less OS grief than I had with all flavors of windows XP. I am personally really looking forward to the next release of Windows Home Server (hopefully on a Windows 7 core) that will let me run it in 64 bit mode with the stablity and ease of support I have seen from Vista.

My recommendation would be Vista if you plan on using it as a client, or don't have access Windows Home Server. If you are going to run clientless (ie. Placeshifter or Extenders) go with Windows Home Server for the easiest installation. Otherwise perhaps consider Ubuntu Linux (If you don't mind a little work..)

Windows XP is by far the least stable OS out of the bunch, but you will find the largest support base for XP in these forums. (You will find good support for any of these here..., but most run XP...)

Also remember Microsoft has declared XP as an End of Life Product.... Why invest the time to implement something you will grow to depend on, on a platform that is in it's last days. You will be forced to replace or deal with the replacement in the not too distant future.....

Food for thought. Hope it helps.

Last edited by edbmdave; 01-13-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Sage User

Smile Vista for HTPC

My first computer/HTPC build ever with Vista 32

No issues so far

The picture HD and sound 5.1 DD are great too

HTPC : GA-MA78G-DS3H, AMD 5200+ 2.7GHZ cpu, 4GB A-Data,2> HVR-1250 tuner,160HDD,250HDD,Antec Sonata,Vista Home Premium, 4221 Channel Master, DBGH antenna home built, HL67A750,HLR-5064 Samsung,PS3.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Sage User

Man you guys are great! Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I need to try and put together a server if I can for the best system. Might try it on Windows 7 and see if it has advantages over Vista (supposed to be more stable and use less overhead) as I am unemployed right now and have time on my hands. I can always reformat if it goes up in flames.