SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV Canada
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Canada SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from Canada - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in Canada.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes, pretty much everything is done on the extender. That is the real beauty of it as this way you don't have to futz around with video drivers, audio drivers, etc.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:00 AM
SageTVaholic

after watching HD for a while, how do you survive the blurry mess that is the PVR-150? I couldn't believe how big a difference there is between PVR-150 and off-air HD.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
Be concerned about RAM. The extender's GUI is run on the server, but the actual video processing is done on the extender so CPU won't be an issue, but you will want lots of RAM on the server, especially if you're running more than one extender or your running an interface with lots of graphics, etc. (i.e. SageMC). I'd say 2GB min, I have no problems with the 2 I run, but put a third gig in if you can. Long ethernet runs aren't an issue as long as you stay within the max length spec, which is 100 metres so unless you're living in a mansion, 100m (~328 ft) should not be an issue.
I need to feed a LCD 52" directly from my DSR505 receiver, and can either do it via a.) the component outputs, or b.) the DVI-D output with an HDMI convertor. I originally thought the DVI-D / HDMI combo would look better, but it appears the component signal is superior. Have you ever tried this with your DSR505 boxes, and if so, did you get the same results?
Old 07-25-2009, 08:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I need to feed a LCD 52" directly from my DSR505 receiver, and can either do it via a.) the component outputs, or b.) the DVI-D output with an HDMI convertor. I originally thought the DVI-D / HDMI combo would look better, but it appears the component signal is superior. Have you ever tried this with your DSR505 boxes, and if so, did you get the same results?
No, I've just always used component. I'm not a big a/v guy so I just use whatever's easiest. 1080i over component was just way easier to setup because I had the cables readily available so that's what I've always used on the receiver directly connected to the tv. I've got no issues with the setup as is so no reason to experiment with anything else.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 07-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I used to prefer the DVI/HDMI of the DSR 505 over component, since I always thought it looked a little bit better. But since Stachoice/Shaw had that latest botched update send out, where they essentially require direct DVI/HMDI connections to the TV, I can't use it anymore. My TV has only one HDMI input, which I'm using for the PC. So now it's component only.

One thing that I don't like with component on the DSR 505 is that the 480i signal uses another colour space. Any kind of 480i recordings with the HD PVR look totally washed out.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post
I used to prefer the DVI/HDMI of the DSR 505 over component, since I always thought it looked a little bit better. But since Stachoice/Shaw had that latest botched update send out, where they essentially require direct DVI/HMDI connections to the TV, I can't use it anymore. My TV has only one HDMI input, which I'm using for the PC. So now it's component only.

One thing that I don't like with component on the DSR 505 is that the 480i signal uses another colour space. Any kind of 480i recordings with the HD PVR look totally washed out.
is that all DSR505's, or just ones that have had the latest update? I was looking forward to purchasing a HD PVR, but is that's true, the washed out bit, that would be a bad thing.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
is that all DSR505's, or just ones that have had the latest update? I was looking forward to purchasing a HD PVR, but is that's true, the washed out bit, that would be a bad thing.
The colours for 480i over component were always washed out on my DSR 505. I don't think that this has changed with one of the recent updates. If you used to connect component directly to a TV, then your TV might interprete the BT.601 colour space correctly, though mine doesn't. And the HD PVR doesn't do it either.
So you can either use 480p for SD or stay with 720p/1080i even for SD (just a waste of disk space). And for 480p the recordings get stretched to 16:9 (which can be compensated by forcing 4:3 mode in Sage). So basically SD recordings aren't that grade with this combination (but the HD PVR is mainly for HD anyhow...)
Old 08-04-2009, 08:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post
The colours for 480i over component were always washed out on my DSR 505. I don't think that this has changed with one of the recent updates. If you used to connect component directly to a TV, then your TV might interprete the BT.601 colour space correctly, though mine doesn't. And the HD PVR doesn't do it either.
So you can either use 480p for SD or stay with 720p/1080i even for SD (just a waste of disk space). And for 480p the recordings get stretched to 16:9 (which can be compensated by forcing 4:3 mode in Sage). So basically SD recordings aren't that grade with this combination (but the HD PVR is mainly for HD anyhow...)
So why not use a different recording device for SD recordings, like an older Hauppauge tuner card or the like?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
So why not use a different recording device for SD recordings, like an older Hauppauge tuner card or the like?
Sure that's possible. But still, the SD signal looks slightly better over component compared to s-video.