SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Sage User

PS trial: can connect to one server...

... but not to the one I need to.

I'm trying both server and placeshifter 6.4.8.
I have server "A" already set up and working on an XP SP3 with TCP/IP address 192.168.0.xxa and the firewall disabled.

I have a "B" server only for testing purpose, with address 192.168.0.xxb and the firewall disabled. They are both on the same LAN through a 3Com giga switch.

Till now, I've directly used the SageTV on the PC where server "A" is and routed the TV out signal through a Rotel.

As we are going away for Xmas, today I installed the trial Placeshifter on a laptop (XP SP3) and started tinkering with it.

I made the first test with the spare server "B" because I was afraid to screw up things on the working "A" one.
First I configured the placeshifter on the server and then I added an item in the PS, on the laptop, with the ID of the server "B".
I manually forwarded the 31099 port as asked by the server and then I tried to connect from the laptop and it worked.

Then I tried the same with server "A" but I couldn't. I forwarded the port 443 too, as hinted in the message window, but nothing happened.

Then, I tried to reset everything and canceled also the forwarding of both ports on the router (Zyxel Prestige 645R) but nothing changed: I can still connect to server "B" and not to "A" even if the "SUA server setup" page of my router is full of zeros and nothing else.
I tried switching off and on the router but still nothing.

Any idea?

Is the trial PS able to connect to more then one server?

Does this have something to do with registering and unregistering?

Of course, as Mr Murphy says, my needs are of connecting to the not working one...!

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Sage Expert

It sounds like you're doing a lot of testing via the external side of the firewall; have you tried connecting to both servers from a Placeshifter client inside your network? If so, you may want to specify the servers using their IP addresses.

If you can't connect at that point, then it's a configuration issue on your server A. If you can connect, then it's time to start examining your configuration outside your firewall.

hope that gets you started.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Sage User

Yes, I did try to connect directly with the IP address and it worked (and still does).

I'm quite positive about being a firewall issue because, as I mentioned, I can still reach the server B even if in the SUA (forwarding) page of my router there is only the word "Default" in the first line and the address is 0.0.0.0 for all the lines, first one included.

To me, it seems the router has retained the first change of the setting (31099 = 192.168.0.xxb): do you think it can happen? Of course I rebooted the device to see if something changed.

What else can I check?
Is there any tool to check my network settings in detail?

(As soon as I get home I will try to swap the IP addresses of the two servers to see which one will still be working (if any).
Old 12-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiotv View Post
(As soon as I get home I will try to swap the IP addresses of the two servers to see which one will still be working (if any).
I tried and it doesn't work.

It came to my mind that on the A machine I have a logon password and on the B PC I haven't.

I went and removed the PW from the A logon account and than rebooted XP but it still doesn't work.

I then went to see the network connections through the DUmeter "Network connections viewer" and I get

8 different SageTVService.exe lines and one is using 31099 port on both the servers.

Remember that I have the firewalls disabled.

Both servers are running with LocalSystem as user

Thanks again.

Last edited by fabiotv; 12-23-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Sage User

I installed another test server (let's call it "C") on the laptop and then tried to connect to it through a placeshifter on one of the others PC and it works.

Now I have the connections to the two test servers working and the one to the needed that doesn't...

Is there a way to try and change the ID on the server A?
I started to think that maybe it can be there even if I more than double checked the ID.

Thanks.

Last edited by fabiotv; 12-23-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Sage User

... any help out there?

Need some other info or some other test?

Thanks.