SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Sage User

Guide data isn't quite right

Okay, I have been working on this for awhile now, and don't know exactly what to try next.

First let me give you a setup summary.

Tuners - Lineups:
HDPVR #1 setup to DISH HD only package (no locals)
HDPVR #1 setup to Comcast HD Box (locals not selected)
HDHR #1 and 2 OTA for locals currently using remapped guide data from neighbor city

I stopped using the OTA guide data for my city because I was only getting about one day ahead worth of guide data sometimes less. I was missing a lot of Favorites due to lack of guide data.

So I thought maybe switching to a different lineup from a neighbor city's cable provider would get more complete lineup information for the channel. But that has proven to have even less complete guide information than the OTA lineup had.

My comcast digital does have complete guide information for those channels but I don't ever want my HDPVR used to record locals when I have the HDHR for that.

Any ideas?
Old 12-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Either use a Local Broadcast market choice for the OTA HDHR tuners or see the HDHR setup for Windows instructions & choose Do Not use Program Guide Data with this Source for the HDHR tuners after already configuring the cable/sat tuners, which should have the channels for the HDHR to automatically map to.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Sage User

Thanks,

If I use the OTA lineup I am still presented with guide data for only a day or so (original problem)

Last night I did go ahead and delete all my HDHR lineups then added the local channels on my comcast tuner. Then added with the HDHR sources with "no guide data" option slected. But after the channel scan I just ended up with duplicate channels in the guide. The HDHR's by themselves without any data.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyhill View Post
If I use the OTA lineup I am still presented with guide data for only a day or so (original problem)
Then that means the channels names in the HDHR channel editor do not exactly match the Zap2it names (see the instructions I linked above & carefully follow those instructions) or the channels are OTA only & thus not available for SageTV to get EPG data from Zap2it's database.

I'm guessing the names don't match. You can either redo the HDHR channel editor so the channel names will match in future channel scans in SageTV, or simple remap the stations in SageTV to the ones that have EPG data. I suggest fixing the names in the HDHR software if they aren't named correctly.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Sage User

I am pretty sure they did match because I would get 12 hours worth of guide information but couldn't go and see what was on tomorrow or the next day like with all other channels

So I have completely redone my setup and it still isn't performing as it is supposed to.

I first deleted all hdhr tuners.

I then find all the channels with the HDHR setup program for each tuner without trouble. I make sure that the channel name is exactly as it is on the zap2it site for my digital lineup.

I have gone in and added the Local channels back in to the HDPVR setup to the comcast box. Now my guide shows the local channels (which I have mapped to different logical channels in that guide for convenience)

I then attempt to add one of the the HDHR tuners. All works well until just after the channel scan. All of the channels appear but some of the logical mappings are way off (which I have changed to there correct mappings and also tried leaving alone)

And when i go out to my guide I now have duplicate channels.

see attached photo.

Why is this so freekin difficult for me?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guide.JPG (25.6 KB, 245 views)
Old 12-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Sage User

In an effort to simplify let me ask some questions.

If I select "do not use guide data with this source", Sage tries to find Stations that match in the guides you already have setup, is this correct?

Does the guide number from the HDHR have anything to do with this process?

I am absolutly sure that the guide names are EXACTLY the same as there are on the website. There are only so many times you can check KCTVDT etc...

As with most problems with Sage, this one really has me pulling out my freekin' hair. I will say this, the HDHR experience is a lot smoother than it used to be thats for sure.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Administrator

You get data for a day or 2 because it is getting the EPG data in the broadcast stream.

I'm not sure why the guide name isn't matching the built-in one with the data from Zap2it because I wrote the STV's channel scanner to specifically prefer matching one with a Zap2it station ID number. (Unless you are using a SageTV version prior to that improvement; I don't know what version you are using.)

At this point, the best thing for you to do would probably be to go to Channel Setup for the HDHR tuners and use Remap -> Map Different Station to this Physical Channel. The problem is that you will see 2 KSHBDT2 items in the list & it will be trial & error to get the correct one. You could try remapping the logical number for the 'good' channels on the lineup where you know the channel is correct & then see if that new number is next to the station name in the station remap list. You can always remap the logical number back to what it was later.

- Andy
Old 12-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
You get data for a day or 2 because it is getting the EPG data in the broadcast stream
Thanks for that info, that was confusing for me to say the least.

Could you explain the "map different station to this address" option for me. I don't understand exactly what I would be doing with that.

Ben

Oh sorry I am using 6.5.3
Old 12-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Could you explain the "map different station to this address" option for me. I don't understand exactly what I would be doing with that.
It is on p. 162 of the PDF manual. All you do is choose the station name that the channel should actually be so it has the correct guide data.

And, to comment on the stuff I skipped last time...

Quote:
1. If I select "do not use guide data with this source", Sage tries to find Stations that match in the guides you already have setup, is this correct?
Yes, but this is only a feature of the HDHR, or at least can only be used when the .scn file provides station names.

Quote:
2. Does the guide number from the HDHR have anything to do with this process?
Is is supposed to be used only to help make sure the mapping gets done the way you want it done, but others have said they had tuning problems when they didn't provide the channel number in the HDHR channel editor. You should use the number, but it probably isn't affecting your EPG data issues.

- Andy
Old 12-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Sage User

Well as with most things, it finally started working once I decided to give up.

I decided to just set up the tuners and select the over the air guide. When I did that it put the channels where they were supposed to be and loaded the full program guide.

Thank you very much for your help, I am sure something done along the way made things right, I just have no idea which one it was.