SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Sage User

(help a noob) No guide data and no "system information"

OK, just installed the "free trial" of Sage and I like it a lot better on the whole than Myth.

Two problems:
1) The guide data doesn't seem to load automatically. I made sure the windows firewall was passing Sage TV through, but the guide still says "no data" for any channel. When I tune a channel, it then updates that channel, and that channel alone, with guide data, but does that mean if I don't tune into a channel, it won't update?

2) (related), I looked in the FAQ and it said to check on EPG updates, I should go to Setup -> System Information. Unfortunately, when i click setup, it doesn't LIST System Information. So that's out. It also said to force an EPG update by unselecting and reselecting a channel in the channel setup, which I did, to no avail.

I'm in the USA, getting ClearQAM channels from Comcast. I have Comcast listed as my "source" in the Channel Setup. Windows Firewall is passing Sage through. Newest Sage version, (downloaded a day or two ago), on Athlon XP 64 5800+ dual core PC with 2 gb ram, 2 HVR-1250s, etc.

What's broken?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Not sure about 1,

2. I think the setup menu was updated somewhere along the line of updates. Goto Setup>Help>System Information.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:55 PM
Sage User

Oh, duh, found System Information.

It says EPG was updated yesterday, and will be updated again in 2 hours. I'm thinking that this might be because I'm tuning into HD channels? Should I remap, for example, 9-1 to 9?

Unfortunately I won't know for a while, if ever, if it actually worked, since I've already tuned into my channels and received the guide info over the cable.

Oh well.

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Sage User

OK, apparently I don't know quite how to remap. I tried remapping channel 4-1, (digital channel 4), to physical channel 4, and it recorded some random show that wasn't on 4-1 when it was supposed to record something on 4-1.

So why would I want to remap? I keep seeing the words, but I don't quite understand.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Administrator

What you need to do is use Channel Setup's option for Remap -> Map Different Station to this Physical Channel. Choose the name of the station for that channel.

If you see a couple names that look right, but you aren't sure which one is correct, then go to the Zap2it digital listings for your cable provider & make sure to choose the station names listed there.

And, you can go directly to System Info by using the Info command while on the Main Menu.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Sage User

Your not the only one that doesn't understand! I have spent 3 days trying to get the EPG to work right. I have read the forums and FAQ till my eyes are numb. SageTV is for people that want to make a hobbie out of it and have lots of time to mess with it. All the add ons just to make it work like others do out of the box. I have BTV working for a year, then switched to Sage only to find out you have to add the AC3 filter to get DD just to name one thing. I have been posting on here to get the web server going on Vista, but apparently you have to use the command line to get it to work (which I am not used to doing). Also getting your shows from BTV to Sage is a nightmare. I am sorry to vent like this, but whenever I post a question, I get refered to all the things I have already done (FAQ Ect). I even tried VMC today, had it configured and working fully in less that 10 minutes (Just don't like the DRM). Good luck with the EPG, at least you might have a chance with cable, because some OTA stations might not work with epg anymore.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBrian View Post
Your not the only one that doesn't understand! I have spent 3 days trying to get the EPG to work right. I have read the forums and FAQ till my eyes are numb. SageTV is for people that want to make a hobbie out of it and have lots of time to mess with it. All the add ons just to make it work like others do out of the box. I have BTV working for a year, then switched to Sage only to find out you have to add the AC3 filter to get DD just to name one thing. I have been posting on here to get the web server going on Vista, but apparently you have to use the command line to get it to work (which I am not used to doing). Also getting your shows from BTV to Sage is a nightmare. I am sorry to vent like this, but whenever I post a question, I get refered to all the things I have already done (FAQ Ect). I even tried VMC today, had it configured and working fully in less that 10 minutes (Just don't like the DRM). Good luck with the EPG, at least you might have a chance with cable, because some OTA stations might not work with epg anymore.
Yup, I actually liked VMC, and found it quite easy to work with, except for the fact that it wouldn't cooperate and show me QAM channels, (fresh installed Vista, installed tv pack update, it SHOULD do QAM, but won't). Now I've wrestled with VMC, Mythbuntu, and Sage. I really wish something would "Just work"....it can't be THAT hard, TiVo just works.

Instead I have multiple crashes, no TV guide, if Vista asks me for permission to do anything then it somehow kills my HDMI sound to the TV, 3 hours just to scan for flipping channels, etc. I'm dyin here, and I'm 700 bucks in the hole.

I'll keep messing with it. I just somehow deleted channels from my guide and can't add them back, so I am scanning for channels again. I have to say that at least Sage has worked, whereas I couldn't make the cards work in Ubuntu and I couldn't make QAM work in VMC. It's just tough being so close.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
What you need to do is use Channel Setup's option for Remap -> Map Different Station to this Physical Channel. Choose the name of the station for that channel.

If you see a couple names that look right, but you aren't sure which one is correct, then go to the Zap2it digital listings for your cable provider & make sure to choose the station names listed there.

And, you can go directly to System Info by using the Info command while on the Main Menu.

- Andy
OK, I apologize for my whining in the post above ^^.

Andy, thanks for the remapping info. Obviously I was thinking about the mapping thing backwards, as I was trying to map the channel I wanted to another channel, not vice versa. Your help got me on the right track, and now my guide works!!!

Slowly becoming a SageTV convert.