SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV Australia/New Zealand
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Australia/New Zealand SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from the Land Down Under - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in Australia and New Zealand.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Sage User

IceTV vs Broadcast (free) EPG

I've been reading a few threads regarding the methods that everyone is using to obtain their guide data. It looks like IceTV is about the best there is (if you want to pay). I was just wondering what makes IceTV so much better than the broadcast EPG?

As I'm using SageTV with a few digital tuners, it doesn't look like the nicer options in IceTV would be applicable to my setup (eg. remote scheduling).

I'm currently using the broadcast EPG and it seems to be working out fairly well. Is IceTV just more accurate than the free EPG?

TIA

Floyd
Old 11-28-2008, 09:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd_2 View Post
I've been reading a few threads regarding the methods that everyone is using to obtain their guide data. It looks like IceTV is about the best there is (if you want to pay). I was just wondering what makes IceTV so much better than the broadcast EPG?

As I'm using SageTV with a few digital tuners, it doesn't look like the nicer options in IceTV would be applicable to my setup (eg. remote scheduling).

I'm currently using the broadcast EPG and it seems to be working out fairly well. Is IceTV just more accurate than the free EPG?

TIA

Floyd
It is not about the accuracy of the EPG data (time and name). A proper EPG will give more descriptions (rating, actors, directors, genre ....) about the show. I believe SageTV will make use of some these data to perform Intelligent Recording for you.
SageTV 6.6.2 / 42" Plasma Panasonic TH-42PX600A/ Intel Pentium DC E6500/ 2Gb Ram/KWorld DVB-T PC160-2T/ Logitech Harmony Remote X360/ Gigabyte GeForce 8500 GT (Silent)/ Winfast DTV1000T/ WD Caviar Green 808Gb HD/ Win 7 Ultimate/ Mission Cinema 7/ Denon AVR-1800
Old 11-30-2008, 11:31 PM
Sage User

Thanks cychou - much appreciated.

Floyd
Old 12-01-2008, 02:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm running the free OTA epg on the hd channels and EpgStream on the others.
The free OTA is somewhat lacking and seems to not have the information in the stream that is found in the others.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Sage User

I have ICE, and have tried the free broadcast epg too. My experience has been, (in brisbane and melbourne):

- the free one lacks alot of info about the show, movies seem to suffer the most
- chunks of time are often missing, or generalized
- not all channels have it
- the use of capital letters in their titles and descriptions annoy me

ICE is detailed and updated, and so it should be when you pay.