SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Sage User

HD-100 and slow guide scrolling?

I am just going to ask this question as a sanity check, and a somewhat 'picky' request:

Does anyone have or feel a slight delay when scrolling through the 'guide' with the HD100 ? It is slight, but it is definately a delay that I don't quite understand. The main menu flows effortlessly, but the guide, which shouldn't really have anything to 'load' when it scrolls, does so with a noticeable pause.

Does anyone else experience this? If so, is it just something we have to live with, or is there a tweak? I have turned off animation, and I have set the sage.properties with the hardware cache setting to 'true' (don't have it in front of me at the moment, so can't give exact language.)

It is really a picky thing, because it is not that bad to endure, but I'd prefer it to be as fast as the client PC I had, which was instantaneous responsiveness from the remote. My guess is that with a remote extender, that kind of responsiveness is no longer possible. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Yes I also suffer with a slow guide. I've always had it and assumed it was due to me using a xmltv guide and channel logos. The pc client is 10x faster so I have just put up with it being slow on the HD100.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Sage User

Damn... was hoping there was something I could do. My next thing to try this evening was to turn the 'video' playing in the upper right corner off, thinking that could be causing the slight delay on key presses, but I'm not sure it will help.

What I find really strange about it though, as a programmer, is that the delay occurs when going down a single line in the guide, when there is absolutely no difference in overhead between that movement of the 'highlight bar' there and the movement of the highlight bar in the main menu's movement (and the main menu movement is, conversely, lightning quick.) If it was a problem reading information in, causing a delay, you would expect it to delay much more when you hit the channel scroll down button, which reloads an entire screen, but that is oddly very quick.

I guess we'll just chalk it up to a signalling delay, unless someone has a fix? It is not unbearable, it is just mildly annoying, I would say. If I press the down button several times in a row, for instance, it queues them up and then the screen scrolls a brief moment later. If there was anything I could tweak to take the delay away, I would try it...
Old 11-13-2008, 11:22 AM
SageTVaholic

You didn't change the time the guide looks ahead from 3 day to something longer, did you? That can also cause the guide to slow down.

You may also want to blow away the .properties file in the Clients directory for that extender and set it up fresh. Sometimes that will help issues.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
You didn't change the time the guide looks ahead from 3 day to something longer, did you? That can also cause the guide to slow down.

You may also want to blow away the .properties file in the Clients directory for that extender and set it up fresh. Sometimes that will help issues.
Mines been doing this from day one so I doubt its anything to do with the client properties file, but I do have data for 12+ days. How do you change that to 3 days? I've always assumed that it couldnt be done as I was using xmltv as guide data.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Sage User

I will check that and get back with you all, but I never changed the days of guide data, although I do believe it is more than 3 days (but I could be wrong.)

Also, when I changed the setting that was ui/hardwaresomething = true to speed it up, I did so on the server sage.properties, not the client properties. I wonder if I did it in the wrong place... I will look and see and report back with my findings.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
Mines been doing this from day one so I doubt its anything to do with the client properties file, but I do have data for 12+ days. How do you change that to 3 days? I've always assumed that it couldnt be done as I was using xmltv as guide data.
I think the 3 day thing only pertains to using the built in guide. Another thing to look at is setting your java heap allocation larger. Search the forums for that. It's a registry setting.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
I think the 3 day thing only pertains to using the built in guide. Another thing to look at is setting your java heap allocation larger. Search the forums for that. It's a registry setting.
Thanks for all sugestions Gerry

Already done the java heap trick. currently @ 512mb. Do you know if its ok to go higher? I have 2Gb so I assume it wouldnt hurt.

Cheers

Ben
Old 11-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Sage User

I will do the java heap thing as well and report back. Thanks for the tips, Gerry, and good to see Michigan represented... Royal Oak, MI, here.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
Thanks for all sugestions Gerry

Already done the java heap trick. currently @ 512mb. Do you know if its ok to go higher? I have 2Gb so I assume it wouldnt hurt.

Cheers

Ben
It's fine to go higher-as long as you have the memory to spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derringer View Post
I will do the java heap thing as well and report back. Thanks for the tips, Gerry, and good to see Michigan represented... Royal Oak, MI, here.
I hope it solves the issue.

Gerry
Old 11-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Sage User

Well, I've tried all of the suggestions, and nothing seems to change the remote delay.

My question to anyone reading is: Does anyone have a HD100 extender that does not exhibit *slight* lag when scrolling with the up and down arrows through the guide, or the media center videos area? The only place it does not 'lag' a bit is on the main menu or static menus that are loading no data. This says to me that either this is as good as the lag gets (since I have a dual core modern cpu and plenty of horsepower on the server,) or I have to troubleshoot further.

This is a completely fresh format+install, with a prior wiz.bin overwrite being the only file remaining post-format.

I'm just curious if anyone is experiencing 'zero' lag on their hd100, so I can decide whether it is worth tinkering with any longer in search of perfection..
Old 11-14-2008, 09:36 AM
SageTVaholic

I would call it more of a hesitation than a lag. I can push the up button in the guide and by the time I'm releasing the button it starts to move. It doesn't move up immediately when I push the button down. If I have to go up 4 or 5 single times then is becomes a little more noticable. I'll use page up/down for major moves. It's not going to have the same performance as a PC but I've seen cable boxes and DVRs move slower also.

Gerry