SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
From what I understand the power supply in the HD100 is capable of running off both 50 & 60 Hz power between 110 & 240v. So as long as you have an adapter you should be able to use it anywhere.

I don't know about the new extender that is coming out but I'd think they'd stick to the same.
Yep, I am UK based and just chopped the plug off and stuck on a UK one - no reason you couldn't connect it via a travel adaptor though.

I ordered direct from Sage, search the UK Forum for the postings details on customs charges etc. Tranquil in the UK used to do an "M One" server and hence stocked HD100s but their website makes no mention of it now.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Helen is right. It's wreaking havoc on my setup. The changes come so frequently at this point that I can't tell if it's hardware, SageTV, Windows Media Player, PowerDVD, VLC, or the cable feed anymore. I just noticed on my HD TV's at home with QAM tuners (no cable box) that Time Warner changed their channels, again, and now some of the HDhomerun video as actually coming down in files that are full HD.

I don't know how the folks at Sage could possibly keep up, let alone add new features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
How is the analog/digital transition causing a problem for PVRs, especially Sage? Surely there aren't many people using Sage (or other PVRs) that have been primarily using analog OTA, are there?

And the analog/digital transition is generally not an issue for cable or at least it is a different issue. I have been using TiVos and PVRs for over 5 years and in that time I have always used them with a digital cable box - that is not a new issue nor is it one that is hard to deal with. I also find it hard to believe why anyone would still be using analog cable with Sage, unless it is as a 3rd or 4th priority tuner - sure it costs a bit to get a cable box but you get dozens (if not hundreds) more channels and better quality.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:29 AM
Sage Fanatic

Taddeusz, starfire:

Thanks for the info on the HD extender in the UK. Santa knows what I want for christmas now :-)

Brent:

On MVP issues. I'm going to to a bit of an investigation to be as specifc as possible in a tech support request. Will post the results for the benefit of others who may be in the same trouble.

Finally:

On my original moans about the sage menu and online features.

Sage MC - wow - its is just fantastic and was a doddle to setup.

Everyone should try sageMC - I suspect many will never look back.

I've tweaked the menus to just how I wanted with a bit of help from studio on menus below the main menu.

Currently undergoing wife acceptance trials...
Old 11-18-2008, 04:46 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldjcox View Post
[*]If the MVP is running while the server is bounced the SageTV MVP application sometimes ghosts as if two versions of the client are running offset by an inch or two from one another. This only affects the menus and not playback.
While you're on about MVP's this is the only issue I see with them.

It doesn't tie in with the server rebooting though.

It happen to me when I switch them on from being completely powered off - about once in a dozen or so times.

When it does I pull the power lead out, wait a few seconds, power on again and keep my fingers crossed.

I always thought it was an issue with the MVP hardware itself and not Sage, but I've never looked into it and could be wrong.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:14 AM
Sage Fanatic

Yes I agree with your scenario - it happens a lot just like that.

But while I was getting something working I moved the TV and MVP into the study near the PC.

I client and server were up and looking fine.

I rebooted the server and looked round to the client TV and noticed that it was now ghosting.

Other MVP problems I have frequently:

I power off and on the MVP and notice it stays forever on the Sage extender spash screen. The PC was grinding away and it took ages and ages for the extender to book. I noticed that the server memory in windows task manager was doubling in size.

And another:

I power off and on the MVP and notice it gets stuck in the hauppauge spash screen with the blocks - stopping at the fourth block and going no further for days on end. Apparently you have to unplug it and leave for a couple of hours!
Old 11-18-2008, 06:09 AM
Sage Fanatic

Is your MVP wired or wireless?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:47 AM
Sage Fanatic

wired (both of them)
Old 11-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Sheesh guys.

I posted yesterday night.

I've been at work since.

Thanks for all your replies I fully intend to and take on board everything and contribute back to the discussion.

True I've only one post in the last year but I have always have tried to consult existing replies before repeat posting about same old problems.

This is a strong forum - and thats a significant benefits of going for SageTV.

My post was born out of a recent frustrating time.

I don't wish to be overly negative.

In fact I really want to become a significant contributer and put some man hours into fixing any outstanding problems for the benefit of all.
I don't think that your post was out of order. Some of the replies to it were however. Way to completely miss the point guys.

Sage is competing against the following user experience:

- plug in
- turn on
- watch telly

and, frankly, it's not winning that battle.

There may well be good and understandable reasons why Sage isn't yet where it should be, but that's also true of other products, of which at least one is free.

Sage is a commercial product which is advertised to work out-of-the-box, which for a large number of people (especially outside the US) it clearly doesn't. Self-appointed forum gods denying this and getting all defensive/aggressive doesn't help either.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggles View Post
I don't think that your post was out of order. Some of the replies to it were however. Way to completely miss the point guys.

Sage is competing against the following user experience:

- plug in
- turn on
- watch telly

and, frankly, it's not winning that battle.

There may well be good and understandable reasons why Sage isn't yet where it should be, but that's also true of other products, of which at least one is free.

Sage is a commercial product which is advertised to work out-of-the-box, which for a large number of people (especially outside the US) it clearly doesn't. Self-appointed forum gods denying this and getting all defensive/aggressive doesn't help either.
I disagree with your above posting, but thanks for all your contributions to the community so far
Old 11-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfire View Post
I disagree with your above posting, but thanks for all your contributions to the community so far
You prove my point.

Do you own a car?
Old 11-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Sage Icon

Where did you see that Sage is supposed to be ready to go out of the box? That reference should certainly be fixed.

I love my Sage, but I wouldn't call it ready to go out of the box. It definitely takes a little time to get it up and running and in some situations a lot of time to get it up and running.

I hope you stick with it as I believe it is a great product once you get the basics up and running.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Sage is certainly not ready for "out of the box" prime time but it has been getting better and better. I like the way they do incremental updates adding features and reliability.

The only way Sage could be an "out of the box" product is if Sage sold complete prebuilt and preconfigured systems. Even then it would not be very cost competitive. (I'm assuming a "system" would be a linux server and one HD100.)

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:25 AM
Sage Fanatic

My wife says when I die she will have no idea how to maintain Sage

She says she will just get sky digital instead...

I'm sure she will be disappointed.

Further to my above posts:

SageMC is a big hit with all the familiy. Its here to stay.

Looking at solving radio to MVP now.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
My wife says when I die she will have no idea how to maintain Sage
That's what kids are for.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:38 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Looking at solving radio to MVP now.
A while ago I played around with the slimserver plugin and AlienBBC which allows you to stream BBC radio channels to slimserver - I don't know if it works on an MVP though, this was a regular PC client
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 02-26-2009, 08:06 AM
Sage Fanatic

Still here working on the issues of my original outburst at the top of this thread.

Developements so far:

> Used a tool by Quest called "spotlight on windows" and could see that 1G of server memory was not enough. I have 4Gb now and I notice that the previous experience navigating around the sage menus on the MVP seems to have improved.

> SageMC is a lovely.

> I have been working on a solution for internet radio to the MVP. I'm about 3-4 weeks from making it available to all. I'm extending it to handle different sorts of streams. Shoutcast is easy. The ".asx" feed that many real stations use to broadcast is a bit harder but coming. The solution requires no wires or spare cards. It will allow seperate MVPs to listen to different stations. It includes EPG grabbing software to be used for regular radio stations and dummy entries for internet radio so all stations appear in the Guide. Watch this space.

Michael
Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Sage Icon

I am looking forward to your release. Especially the internet radio. michaeldjcox, I'm glad you stuck around through thick and thin, so to speak.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 02-26-2009, 10:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Still here working on the issues of my original outburst at the top of this thread.

Developements so far:

> Used a tool by Quest called "spotlight on windows" and could see that 1G of server memory was not enough. I have 4Gb now and I notice that the previous experience navigating around the sage menus on the MVP seems to have improved.

> SageMC is a lovely.

> I have been working on a solution for internet radio to the MVP. I'm about 3-4 weeks from making it available to all. I'm extending it to handle different sorts of streams. Shoutcast is easy. The ".asx" feed that many real stations use to broadcast is a bit harder but coming. The solution requires no wires or spare cards. It will allow seperate MVPs to listen to different stations. It includes EPG grabbing software to be used for regular radio stations and dummy entries for internet radio so all stations appear in the Guide. Watch this space.

Michael
Wow, sign me up, hopefully it will work in Linux

B
Old 02-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I think my wife is in love with you now. Seriously, it's a good thing you're not in the states.

Congrats on the progress so far, now I just gotta wait...
Clients: 2x HD300, 1x HD200 Extenders, 1x Placeshifter
2x Roku XD
Old 02-26-2009, 11:38 PM
Sage User

Quote:

> Used a tool by Quest called "spotlight on windows" and could see that 1G of server memory was not enough.
Small world, I work for Quest, great to hear Spotlight helped.

Quote:
> I have been working on a solution for internet radio to the MVP... Watch this space.
This sounds great! Is it fair to assume that if something can be streamed to an MVP that the HD100, or HD200 would work as well?