SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Sage User

Shuttering on 1 channel only

I have noticed on my QAM connections I have one HD channel that shutters on a lot of the shows. No problem on any of the others.

ARCsoft, cyberlink both shutter but if I switch to SageTV default the recording does not shutter. Any idea why what could be happening?
Old 11-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Sage User

Lightbulb The Good, The Bad, and the Codec’s

I find that perhaps you have to take the good with the bad. You can spend, what seems to be, a life time trying to get all of your various codec’s to work with any given application. If your software application, in this case SAGETV, works with the default decoder then just go with what works. What you really need to do is ask yourself this question. “Is there any functionality of the SageTV software that doesn’t work with the default decoder?” What I’m getting at is this; If ARCsoft or cyberlink doesn’t provide added functionality to the application (for your needs) then count your blessings and call it day.

If your channel problem was consistent in all application then I would say that the signal was week for that station and on the extreme outside of possibilities that you have a bad card. But this doesn’t seem to be the case in your explanation.

If SageTV retains all of its functionality using the default decoder and all of your personal files play, then I would call it a day. As your experience with SageTV lengthens and you start adding plug-ins into the application you may find that trying to get an auxiliary codec to work is the least of your problems.

If SageTV ain’t broke don’t try to fix it. Take the Good with the Bad and when it comes to Codec’s… things can get Ugly!

That’s is officially my unofficial advise.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Sage User

Sometimes it's magic

I agree with Technophobe on this one. I have Comcast and use 2 HDHomeRun tuners (along with an HP-PVR and 2 PVR500). I recently started observing a flicker/stutter on just the NBC channel. The signal was fair but no matter which (HD) tuner I used the flicker/stutter was still there.

I then tested a straight shot from outside cable drop direct to the tuner (no splits) and still observed the flicker/stutter on that one NBC channel.

I have test machines with better video cards (8800GTS and HD 4850) and though they were better it was still noticable. I then played with the video decoders. I had been (for years) using PureVideo but switching among Cyberlink and Sage's decoder I found the problem went away with Sage's.

As an engineer I always want to know why but as an end user I just want it to work. I chalked it up to magic and happily moved on to other pressing problems.

walt
Client2: Win7 Pro (64bit), Intel Quad Q9650 3.00GHz, 8G Ram, Test/Work/Gaming system.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Sage User

I am the same way

I agree but I am the same way too. I my self am a production support person and is my job to hunt down what the issues are

Compared to what I went through the first 2 weeks going from BeyondTv and DirectV to Sage and Comcast I went through the HD hell week getting everything working as it should and now for the most part everything is running great.

Now if I can resolve the issue of the HD PVR sometimes quiting or not firing on and having to turn it on and off I will be a happy camper. I do not believe this has anything to do with SageTV though.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
I recently started observing a flicker/stutter on just the NBC channel. The signal was fair but no matter which (HD) tuner I used the flicker/stutter was still there.

I then tested a straight shot from outside cable drop direct to the tuner (no splits) and still observed the flicker/stutter on that one NBC channel.
I too have an issue with NBC HD. I record all my content OTA and I notice kind of a flicker effect only on this channel. I read in a post in the ATI forums that the cause of this is that most of the content on NBC is 24fps. Not sure what the fix is though....maybe someone else has some ideas.