SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Sage User

Playback Error -4,0x80040217

I have been using Sage 6.3.10.166 on WindowsXP for over a year without any problems till recently. I am getting the above message playing VOBs stating PlaybackException, -4,0x80040217: There was a problem rendering the video portion of the content for playback. No problem playing the recorded HD OTA shows from my HDHomeRun

Two things happened that could have caused my problem. My powersource was failing, causing the computer to turn off intermittently a few times before the kids bothered to tell me. New power source is in and computer completely stable now.

I also installed iTunes on the computer and QuickTime is installed automatically.

I have uninstalled the iTunes and QuickTime and uninstalled and reinstalled SageTV but am getting the same error.

Any hints before I completely nuke the hard drive and start all over again?

Last edited by dkemme; 10-19-2008 at 03:03 PM. Reason: More detail
Old 10-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Sage User

I get the same message. My computer with the placeshifter does not give me this messsage, only the main PC. I'm using 64 bit Vista, are you?
Old 10-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Sage User

I am using XP. I have the same problem on my HD-100 extender. I am not using any Placeshifters.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Sage User

Try changing your CODECS.

-S
HP 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe SATA
GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon X2 4450e 2.3GHz Dual-Core Processor
4GB SDRAM ,Skystar 2 PCI DVB, StreamZap Remote
SageTV Windows Media Center
Old 10-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Sage User

I have tried changing to Default, Overlay and VMR9 but receive the same message.

Quite puzzled why this happened suddenly and do not understand why I am having same message on both the server and both HD-100's?
Old 10-23-2008, 06:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Your HD-100s are hardware-based and so are the decoders. How are you creating these VOBs? VOBs are just mpeg2 files and should be causing any issues, especially for the HD100. You're just not copying these VOBs from a DVD, are you?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:24 AM
Sage User

I'm having the same problem on all MPEG video in Sage. The problem appeared after I updated my java installation and upgraded to catalyst 8.10 drivers.

I've tried multiple decoders (ATI, Sage, ffdshow, intervideo) all do the same thing!

Graphedit shows a working graph from directshow and files play in Windows media player!

Any Ideas what is wrong? I'm pulling my hair out.

OK, one note... Setting the video render to "default" got it to play. But VRM9 and default are not working. What gives?

Last edited by ryanlantzy; 10-24-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlantzy View Post
I'm having the same problem on all MPEG video in Sage. The problem appeared after I updated my java installation and upgraded to catalyst 8.10 drivers.

I've tried multiple decoders (ATI, Sage, ffdshow, intervideo) all do the same thing!

Graphedit shows a working graph from directshow and files play in Windows media player!

Any Ideas what is wrong? I'm pulling my hair out.

OK, one note... Setting the video render to "default" got it to play. But VRM9 and default are not working. What gives?
I am having the same problem for 2-days, I too just let java update, my current version info
SageTV Version: V6.4.8.184
Java Version: 1.6.0_07
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

I was thinking that my cable provider finally went all digital, and my WinTV-PVR-500MCE is only analog, or that Windows Vista 64bit got confused, I have rolled my registery and SageTV back to serval days prior, and that didn't help, I have removed the drivers for my tunner card, and tried to reinstall but the drivers from Happauge but it just says no hardware found, but Vista finds the tunner on reboot and installs its driver. I have also reinstalled SageTV 6.4.8 and still nothing will play or live TV won't play. The only thing that has changed on my machine is Java and Windows Update.

Update: 10-24-08 5:45am
I uninstalled Java 6.7 , rebooted machine and did a repair install on SageTV and still the samething. Then I changed from VRM9 to default and I can now see Live TV and recorded shows, so something is wrong with VRM9.

Scat

Last edited by scat; 10-24-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:25 AM
Sage Icon

For ATI cards, make sure the deinterlacing option in CCC is set to "Automatic". I couldn't get VMR9 to work if it was set to anything else (Motion Adaptive, Vector Adaptive, etc...).

P
Old 10-24-2008, 06:36 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
For ATI cards, make sure the deinterlacing option in CCC is set to "Automatic". I couldn't get VMR9 to work if it was set to anything else (Motion Adaptive, Vector Adaptive, etc...).

P
Thanks, I'll try that let everyone know. The one other thing I was playing around with were the ATI registry tweaks that were referenced here and over on AVS. I think one of the settings it changed was the De-interlacing type. I rolled back the changes, but I did notice that it stuck for some odd reason or another.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:19 AM
Sage User

Well... got mine working with a new video card. Seems that the old one got fried with the bad power supply.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Sage User

Changing the deinterlacing to Automatic fixed my problem.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlantzy View Post
Changing the deinterlacing to Automatic fixed my problem.
ryanlantzy

could you tell me how to find this setting?

thanks
Scat
Old 10-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Sage User

Uggh... Worked for a day with the new video card, now back to the same error message. I made sure my card deinterlacing is set for Automatic (Scat, you will find it in the Catalyst control center, select advanced, look for Avivo Video->Basic Quality) but get the same error.

I have also tried playing a DVD in the DVD player on the computer, same error.

I hate these intermittent errors and can not figure out why I am having this problem all of a sudden. Now am wondering if something on the mainboard got fried.

Does anyone have any tips?

Last edited by dkemme; 10-26-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Sage Expert

This might not help you but I was getting the same exact error as you and it turned out I didn't have the correct codec to encode/decode the files installed. I loaded the correct codec and its working flawlessly now. YMMV. -Bill
Old 10-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Sage User

How did you load the correct codec?

The difficult part for me, is that I had a completely stable system that worked for over a year and then complete failure.

I am so frustrated! I have installed on three different computers and no luck!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to steingra
same kind of issues here

As far as I know, I didnt change anything on my configuration for like 6 months or longer...and it just stopped working. It cant play any sagetv recordings from the server or from a sagetv client.

You can see error message in attached file. It makes me mad...I have had sagetv working on this server for 3+ years now. And for no reason I can think of, it just stopped working.

The sagetv interface itself works fine.

We have had some power problems a few times in past month. Dont know if that has anything to do with it. But I have Sagetv server on a UPS battery backup. So it should not have been effected by the brownouts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sagetverror1.JPG (43.9 KB, 412 views)
Old 11-03-2008, 12:16 AM
Sage User

My problem was solved by reinstalling my DVD codecs, quicktime must have caused some problems.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am having the same problem. I noticed if I play with the decoder settings in the detailed setup menu under video and dvd, I can get it to play for a few hours, then for no reson it breaks... I go back in and flip flop the setting from Default to Nvidia, and it works again for a few hours..

Wife is getting pissed, I can't figure it out...I have tried xvid, divx, and ffmpeg, all with the same results..

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingra View Post
As far as I know, I didnt change anything on my configuration for like 6 months or longer...and it just stopped working. It cant play any sagetv recordings from the server or from a sagetv client.

You can see error message in attached file. It makes me mad...I have had sagetv working on this server for 3+ years now. And for no reason I can think of, it just stopped working.

The sagetv interface itself works fine.

We have had some power problems a few times in past month. Dont know if that has anything to do with it. But I have Sagetv server on a UPS battery backup. So it should not have been effected by the brownouts.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Still getting the same error. I ahve the debug file attached.

This is the server debug file, where do I find the client debig file if I am using playback on the server itself?
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0.txt (725.4 KB, 294 views)