SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Simultaneous Audio Out Analog & SPDIF

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this. I have a Gigabyte Motherboard (GA-MA69GM-S2h) with the realtek high definition audio. I am running WinXP and would like to have the audio coming out the SPDIF and Analog Stereo out at the same time. However so far I have only been able to get one or the other. Not sure what I need to set to get the simultaneous output. Searching the web I have seen where folks say they had the dual output in XP but lost it when they upgraded to VISTA.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have the ALC888 Realtek onboard audio. I was able to have output from both analog and spdif, but only 2 channels via spdif. Working on that. Anyway, there are some tiny little icons in the audio manager for both analog and spdif. If you click on spdif there is an option not to output digital sound as well as two other output methods. If you're having trouble with the analog side open the options for analog and make sure to select to be notified when you plug in items. Then you will get a popup each time you connect an analog cable and get to choose what kind of output it is. Somehow my rear output was selected as front L/R which was why I wasn't getting 5.1. All fixed now. Also make sure to only unplug then plug in one port at a time. If you connect all of them only the last one will popup the dialog. Hope this is helpful.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

I just want to make sure I have this straight. Under the digital area which of the three choices should be selected? 1. No S/PDIF OUTPUT. 2. Output digital audio source. Or 3. S/PDIF-in to S/PDIF-out pass through mode. You mentioned the 1st one but I wasn't sure if that should be checked.

Towards the upper left there is a drop down box with multiple selections such as Headphone, 2CH Speaker, 4CH Speaker, 6CH Speaker, 8CH Speaker, DTS Interactive, and Digital PCM Output. Which of these do you have selected?
Old 10-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sorry, I wasn't looking right at the software. Make certain that no spdif out is unchecked. You have to select one of the other two options which depends on your setup. For most people including myself the output digital audio source would be the correct choice.

Also make sure that in the dropdown box you select the option that matches your speakers. I have 5.1 speakers so I selected 6 channel speakers in the box. I don't have options for DTS or digital pcm so can't advise on how those work. They might be the correct choice for you. My receiver manual did emphasize that it does no processing on the multi channel input and can't compensate for missing speakers so to be sure to connect the necessary inputs. EG. if I set the audio software to 8 channel audio I would be missing sounds because I only have 6 channel output.

Check your receiver manual to see how to set up. I also had to go through my receiver setup and make sure that all the settings matched my new inputs.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks I've got it going now. As far as I can tell the problem was in having the equipment more sophisticated than I realized. The sound card apparently could output digital sound out what I thought was an analog only output. And my tv was set for Auto (to determine if the input was analog or digital). Once I locked the TV audio in to Analog. And setup the Sound Manager they way you said I got the simultaneous Analog & Digital output.

Thanks again.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Glad I was able to help. Usually I'm the one on here begging for assistance. Enjoy!