SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Sage User

HD PVR No Audio

Hi,

I've been working on a problem with no audio while watching live tv or capturing. Captured video does not contain audio. No luck in searching the forum.

I have an HD PVR on:
  • CORE 2 QUAD Q6600 2.4G (1066Mhz)
  • ABIT I-N73HD nvidia geforce 7100 chipset, 512MB Shared Video Memory
  • 4GB 800Mhz RAM
  • WinXP Pro
  • Motorola DCH3200 Comcast digital cable box

HD PVR Troubleshooting:
I have used all of the following video connections from cable box to HD PVR to Sage TV successfully. In each case, I get video but no audio. For each video connection, I've tried both SPDIF and RCA audio.
  • Component
  • Composite
  • S-Video

Software Troubleshooting:
I originally used SageTV_V6_3_10 but then switched over to SageTV_V6_4_7 Beta to allow for SPDIF input. No dice on the audio in both cases.

Under Sage TV, I tried a wide combination of video and audio decoders and renderers. Currently I’m using:
  • Video Renderer: VMR9
  • MPEG 2 Video Decoder Filter: Sage TV MPEG Video Decoder
  • Sage TV MPEG Video Decoder uses DXVA: No
  • MPEG4 Playback: DirectShow
  • Dscaler Deinterlacing Filter: Configure
  • Audio Renderer: Realtek HD Audio Output (I’ve tried every option)
  • MPEG2 Audio Decoder Filter: SageTV MPEG Audio Decoder (I’ve tried every option)
  • Audio Playback Delay: 0

I also get video but not audio when capturing in ArcSoft TotalMedia Extreme.

I then installed the hdpvr_v1.0b from the Hauppauge web site. Still no audio.

I do get audio when I play back non-Sage videos through Sage. Both SPDIF and RCA work in that case.

I connected an MP3 player to the line-in on the PC and verified that I can record audio via minijack. I don't think this should matter, though. The HD PVR sends both video AND audio over the USB connection to the PC, right?

Cable Box Troubleshooting:
I went through my cable box settings
  • Menu access method 1) turn off cable box and press menu button: I don’t see any setting that appears to set PCM audio output for all ports. All I see is: Additional HDMI Settings: Audio Output. There are three options: Auto, L-PCM, and Pass Through. I changed from Auto to L-PCM. No luck. Then I tried pass through; again, no luck. Switched back to L-PCM.
  • Menu access method 2) turn on cable box --> press menu button twice --> setup --> Audio Setup :
    Here for Audio Output setting there are three options: 1) TV Speakers, 2) Stereo, 3) Advanced. I’ve tried all three. Advanced option gives two additional settings: 1) Compression: None | Light | Heavy. Mine is set to None. 2) Stereo Output: Mono | Stereo | Matrix. Mine is set to Stereo.

I’ve tried disconnecting HDMI cable from cable box, then using SPDIF only and RCA only. No audio to Sage TV in either case.

I’m at my wit’s end on this one. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

It sounds like this could be a hardware issue - but I'm not sure.

I'd suggest breaking down your troubleshooting a bit and concentrate on trying to ge audio in Total Media Extreme. If you're not getting audio at that level using standard RCA/analog audio ports, then you're never going to get it in SageTV. If doing the above test scenario doesn't work, verify that sound is outputting from your cable box correctly. If not, I'd probably give Hauppauge a call for support.

One thing I am aware of is Optical is not fully supported in the current drivers, so try to stay away from that for now. I've seen where some people say it does work in TME, but Hauppauge officially states it is not included in their driver at this time.
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored
Old 08-10-2008, 01:08 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the quick response.
1. I connected RCA audio from cable box to TV: No problem with audio.
2. I connected RCA audio from cable box to HD PVR line in, then RCA from HD PVR line out to TV. No audio.
So, the audio passthrough seems to not be working in the HD PVR.

Last edited by jbert; 08-10-2008 at 06:28 AM. Reason: The problem persists.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Sage Icon

If the HD-PVR is on and there is no audio passthrough (either stereo or optical) then it definitely sounds like a hardware issue. Even though the HD-PVR won't record DD yet, it does pass it through without issues.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 08-10-2008, 03:39 PM

Double check the Audio mixer. Mine only has audio in right 1/4 of the volume setting.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Did you resolve your issue? Seeing the same sort of problem with an hd pvr.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am also getting no audio in Sage TV with my HD PVR after switching to SPDIF. I was getting audio when using RCA audio out of my cable box. I can also get audio using SPDIF when I record using Total Media Extreme. I've tried playback using both the HD200 and Placeshifter client and in both cases there is no audio.

I've tried every combination I can think of and have rebooted multiple times but am still unable to hear audio. I am able to hear audio on my HD200 on content that wasn't recorded by the HD PVR.

Has anyone else been successful getting audio on a HD200 from content that was recorded on a HD PVR?

My setup...

Cable Box: Component Video Out + SPDIF (optical) out
HD PVR: Component Video In + SPDIF (optical) in
HD200: HDMI out + SPDIF (optical) out
Old 01-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

After reading some opther posts I figured out what my issue was. I forgot to change the input type for my HD PVR source in SageTV from Component to Component + SPDIF.

After making that change I am now able to get full digital audio from my HD PVR on my HD200.

Yay!!
Old 01-06-2009, 06:03 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrpenguin View Post
After reading some opther posts I figured out what my issue was. I forgot to change the input type for my HD PVR source in SageTV from Component to Component + SPDIF.

After making that change I am now able to get full digital audio from my HD PVR on my HD200.

Yay!!
Hey at least it wasn't OE (Operator Error) like mine. I was helping a friend build his first SageTV machine and we had everything working "on the bench". When we moved everything over to his rack in the basement next to where the cable/network equipment was we suddenly had no sound on the HD-PVR.
We tried everything from settings to re-installing the TME drivers (brand new machine so he had no audio until he installed some audio codecs). We even tried the SPDIF cable we were using in the original setup since we used a shorter one in the final placement.
Finally I went behind the rack with a flashlight and noticed that *I* had hooked the SPDIF cable into the OUT instead of the IN port on the HD-PVR. When my friend had swapped SPDIF cables he diligently plugged the replacement into the same port he pulled the other one out of
As soon as we put the SPDIF cable into the correct port sound miraculously reappeared.

As for me, I had to wear the dunce cap for the rest of the evening.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
If the HD-PVR is on and there is no audio passthrough (either stereo or optical) then it definitely sounds like a hardware issue. Even though the HD-PVR won't record DD yet, it does pass it through without issues.
This was how I solved my audio problem:
(1) Checked the volume button on the Cable box- found out it was all turned down to zero. What to do: raise the volume.
(2) Unplug the audio cables from the back of the cable box. Then, plug in audio cable from your camcorder to the audio out of the cable box.
(3) Set camcorder to the VCR /play mode- there should be audio.
(4) Unplug the camcorder and plug in the RCA jacks routed to the HD PVR.
(5) Start the PVR and press RECORD- there should be audio signals. If not, change the audio cable between the cable box and the PVR. If it fails, the culprit is the PVR itself.

Finally, recording from front the video +audio jacks to an external device tends to cut off audio passthrough. I tried it once and lost audio on my PVR for weeks.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:31 AM

No Audio when recording with PVR

Hey guys, I have an issue. When I record Xbox footage I get no audio. I use Turtle Beach x11s so I don't use game sound out of my TV. Do I have to because the audio gets annoying coming out of 2 places.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinzuh View Post
Hey guys, I have an issue. When I record Xbox footage I get no audio. I use Turtle Beach x11s so I don't use game sound out of my TV. Do I have to because the audio gets annoying coming out of 2 places.
^^for anyone having the problems above with an xbox, make sure that your output on the 360 is set to 720p, because if it is on 1080i or 1080p, the sound does not come through.