SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Sage Icon

Interesting MSN Article

When we (those using this site) see a lede that says: "How can you watch your favorite television shows and movies without paying a dime? Start by turning on your computer", we sit up and take notice, hoping Sage will get a mention, right?

Drat. I should have known MSN would be fluff written for the "commonfolk".
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...GetFreeTV.aspx

And a linked article from that one, which talks about using your PC for TV, but completely ignores Sage:
http://tech.msn.com/howto/articlepcw...mentid=6485950

Discuss, if you like.... or read and move on...
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Did you really expect anything unbiased on the subject from MSN?
Old 08-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm sorry. Do you not realize what the MS stands for in MSN? It stands for MicroSoft; no literally.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Sage Icon

In my defense, I went to the first linked article, which (it turns out) has less to do with HTPCs. The second article, linked from within the first... well, yeah.

Honestly, I hadn't even thought about, or paid attention to, the source of the article (MSN). I was just trying to share a topical article and spur some discussion if any was to be had. Sorry to insult your obviously superior intellect. If you feel that I wasted your time by having you read it, why did you waste more time posting a snarky comment?

Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sorry 'bout that. Just trying to be funny, but it was pretty "snarky," in hindsight.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Even tho articles like this may be biased twords M$ Media Center, it still brings more interest to the htpc hobby, which should help sage.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Sage Expert

the problem with articles like this is it sends an enthusiast down the wrong path. How I got into PVR and then HTPC was a segment on the Screensavers where they recommended ATI Wonder card. I got that first card but didn't realize that was software decoder. Had I not been willing to scrap the card and pickup a Hauppauge 250, I wouldn't be doing this today. It would have been much easier to go the other way then continue, at that point, the hobby. My wife thought I was nuts then, but now is dependent on the current setup.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 09-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Sage Icon

I agree, mistergq.

There is some local "men's magazine" that I started getting for free, which sorta seems to be a GQ-type thing... seems to be aimed at the "single, male, 21-50" age group (I'm not single, again, I don't know why I get the mag, I guess they are sending out free ones to get you hooked so you subscribe?)...

....anyway, this month, in the "gadgets" section, it has an article all about HTPCs, "Media Centers", extenders, etc. But no mention of Sage or any other software that doesn't come "pre-packaged" as a Media Center. I hate that Sage misses out on that sort of "advertising", when, IMO, it's the best overall package out there.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

I gotta believe that the ones that get mentioned are kissing up to someone. Look at BTV for example.. How many places do you see there name? They have been in magazines, all over the place, and there software pretty much blows..

Sage seems to not feel the need for all the accolades, smoke blowing, etc.. I'm ok with that because they seem to be a well balanced, level headed company that actually listens to the customer.. Unlike the ones that get talked about all the time that are more interested in people telling them they are great, rather than actually being great....
Old 09-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwr View Post
I'm sorry. Do you not realize what the MS stands for in MSN? It stands for MicroSoft; no literally.

well, technically it stands for Microsoft Network...

I've also noticed that very few people know about SageTV and devices
like AppleTV, MS MediaCenter, Roku, etc. get all the attention. It's
frustrating to me because SageTV is such a great product and much more superior to the other vendors devices.

Recently, i spent a couple weeks downloading a HD 5GB file of the Olympic opening ceremonies. When i finally unzipped the archive, i saw that it was a file with a MKV extension. Argh, what is this? Do i need to convert it to a format SageTV will play? I figured i'd try it anyway and to my surprise, SageTV played it! Wow! Sweet! Amazing! I didn't have to fiddle with any configuration change, codec installation, or transcoding issues. Very slick!

Brandypuff

Capture Devices: HDHomerunXTEND, HDHomerunPrime
Old 09-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

The biggest difference really is (as much as I now massively perfer Sage), Vista Media Center is much more polished (and default UI compaired to every other DVR/PVR software is much more "pretty")..

I actually switched to Sage due to the DRM crap in Media Center.. After using Sage, I now highly enjoy some of the more advanced/customizable features Sage has to offer..

But again, If I wasnt comfortable tinkering, I wouldnt even have been able to get Sage stable (stable to the point where Im watching all my TV thru it).. I was able to get Media Center to this point by installing Windows (both Vista and XP MCE) and all my device drivers (which store bought computers should come this way)...