SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to custommadename Send a message via Yahoo to custommadename
New SageTV build. Suggestions?

Hello, everyone! I'm trying to wire up my house to have a huge network to make some things easier. We run a business and are trying to make everything electronic, and in doing so, we're running Cat6 ethernet all over the place. I'm going to take advantage of this with SageTV, if it works out.

I'm told SageTV can show TV over ethernet cords. Is that right? I assume I can have a cable signal into a SageTV computer and then have a few rooms with more SageTV computers that can show video.

I'm soon going to set up a server with 4 300GB hard drives on a non-integrated RAID controller and a gigabit card in a PCI-Ex1 slot. Most likely, it'll be RAID 1 with 600GB of hot swappable hard drive space on a backplane. This should make an awesome server, and I want to be able to use a Sage box to store big video files in that space. If I need more space, I'll build more servers with huge hard drive assortments.

So, to build the first box, which hardware do I need? I'm looking for a motherboard and TV tuner recommendation. I've been looking around the requirements and compatibility lists, but it's unclear which is the inarguable best. "Best" in terms of being compatible with Linux, probably Debian, and also giving the best picture quality for about a 42" LCD TV.

What I have in mind, strange as it may be, is to have in my server area a stack of HDTV and regular cable boxes that go to a bunch of TV tuner cards in this motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186146
Then, I would just have an ethernet jack, a Sage computer, and a TV everywhere I want to watch something. Is that the best way to go about something to have Picture-in-Picture and lots of available channels at the same time?

I don't have much of a budget plan, and if something costs a lot but is sincerely a great option, I'll take a few months to build it up.