SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Sage User

1. INFO: For those of you who have problems getting HDHR to recognize channels using the latest HDHR drivers/firmware & SageTV beta 6.4.7.2, there was one thing in the instructions that was left out: after the first time you select an HDHR tuner as the video source, exit SageTV completely and open up your Sage.properties file. Find "mmc/encoders/{number}/dshow_tv_type=" and make sure the entry "QAM" is there. If not add it and your channel scan will work. When adding the 2nd HDHR tuner, you have to do the same again. The latest HDHR software does ease the pain of having the correct channel numbering! (It took me a while to solve this problem after reviewing various threads/posts for an entire weekend!)
* this QAM property setting is incorrect; see below discussion *

2. QUESTION: I'm noticing that HDHR for standard def non-encrypted channels (say NBC or FOX) with SageTV starts to stutter when I use the internet. Even when googling stuff under low bandwidth, those channels under HDHR stutter. However, there's no problem with the HD channels in HDHR or any SD/HD channels under other tuner (internal or HD PVR). The resulting video recording also screws up because of the stuttering. Wondering whether anyone else has this problem?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by royhuang View Post
1. INFO: For those of you who have problems getting HDHR to recognize channels using the latest HDHR drivers/firmware & SageTV beta 6.4.7.2, there was one thing in the instructions that was left out: after the first time you select an HDHR tuner as the video source, exit SageTV completely and open up your Sage.properties file. Find "mmc/encoders/{number}/dshow_tv_type=" and make sure the entry "QAM" is there. If not add it and your channel scan will work. When adding the 2nd HDHR tuner, you have to do the same again. The latest HDHR software does ease the pain of having the correct channel numbering! (It took me a while to solve this problem after reviewing various threads/posts for an entire weekend!)
I thought this was no longer a requirement? I haven't upgraded to 6.4.7.2 yet, so I can't say for sure.

EDIT: I meant, I thought you didn't have to do this manually.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Sage User

onlydarksets: The install instructions worked when I upgraded my SageTV & HDHR software. But when I encountered other problems, I decided to clean install both and ran into HDHR channel scanning problems in SageTV. (<--that's the clue that you need to manually add the QAM entry)

I think that the install instructions were probably written by someone upgrading their software and not performing a clean install. Prior to figuring out that I needed to add QAM to that property, I must have done at least 8+ clean installs of SageTV & HDHR! With this missing step, installs have been working perfectly...

Last weekend I decided that SageTV would be my PVR of choice (I also purchased the latest version of BeyondTV and had VistaMC) so I **finally** ditched Vista Ultimate for XP Pro and reinstalled SageTV, HDHR, & HD PVR. No problems (and no more wasting time on Vista problems!!).
Old 08-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by royhuang View Post
I moved this out of the topic with the HDHR instructions because this step is not needed; it was removed from the instructions on purpose.

I would like to figure out why you needed to set that property because if you follow the instructions I provided, that property shouldn't need to be set to anything. I asked you on the HDHR forum for more information from logs & properties files but you never provided it. If that setting really is needed on a new install, then SageTV can be changed to resolve it (again). Edit: The logs would have to be from when the property you mentioned wasn't set to QAM.

I'm guessing that maybe you selected Antenna in SageTV as the tuner type instead of Cable, because that is what the OLD HDHR instructions said to do for QAM. If you do that now, SageTV will either find no .scn file & try to do the channel scan on its own or it will find the wrong one from an old scan and use the wrong info.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Sage User

FYI to forum readers: I PM'd Andy just to avoid unnecessary forum clutter. If there are any updates/problems with the instructions, I'm sure he'll post back to the forum.

[Update: Andy, the files are attached per your PM]
Attached Files
File Type: zip RoySageFiles.zip (45.4 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by royhuang; 08-16-2008 at 11:43 AM. Reason: [added files that Andy requested]
Old 08-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Administrator

As I guessed above, according to your properties file, the tuning mode is set to "Air", which means you chose "Antenna" as the tuning option (step 3 of source setup in the SageTV PDF manual, around page 150).

Coincidentally, that is also step three of the instructions I posted here. I have now added a large font + bold text note there in an effort to get the attention of people reading those instructions in the future.

If you choose Cable TV in source setup, you should not need to add the QAM property.

Thank you for providing the files so I could check what was happening.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.