SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Sage Expert

Set Up Question about HDHR (HD Homerun)

I have been using the HDHR for a while with Sage...I have a question as to which set up would be better or no difference...

My coax cable comes in and splits to the 2 cable inputs on the HDHR. My ethernet cable output goes from the HDHR to a GB switch about 75 feet away. Then the GB switch outputs to a ethernet cable that then travels the 75 feet back to my computer (the HDHR sits on top of my computer)...Of course the GB switch sits next to my router and thus is connected with a 3 foot cable to the router.

Would it be better or no diffference, if I put the GB switch next to the HDHR? Thus, the GB switch would connect to the router 75 feet away. but the ethernet connections between switch and HDHR and computer would only be 3 foot cables..

Thanks,

Gary Ellis
Old 05-28-2007, 01:25 PM
SageTVaholic

I have personally run ethernet over 100 ft before. I generally try to keep each run under 50 feet, but sometimes that is just not possible. While I can't speak to the ethernet port on the HDHomerun (mine sits on top of my server, so its travel distance is 3 feet to the switch), I think that as long as you are seeing it connect at 100baseT and not having any fubar'd recordings, I would not add another switch (besides the extra switch would add additional altency to your setup). If it ain't broke....
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 05-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Sage Expert

Actually, I'm not adding another switch...I would be moving the current switch from 75 feet away to 3 feet away...It would connect to the router, not to another switch.

I assume closer is better, but wondering if it doesn't matter because stuff has to go to the router and back anyway, or not...

Gary Ellis
Old 05-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Sage Icon

the spec from 100baseT is that each cable run can be up to 100meters (330 feet), so , unless you are having problems with the cable, I would let it be.

edit: looked at the original post again, and basically both methods would work fine, moving the GB switch or leaving it next ot the router. Actually your traffic between the HDHR and the computer should never even see the router, since the GB switch will have the 2 ports talk directly to each other, that is the designed reason for a switch instead of a hub.

I'd leave it alone until you needed to add more networking gear. If you would rather run new cabling to the computer area, then move the switch there. If most of you new runs would be easier to run to the router (and need to be GB), then leave the switch there. Its pretty much a case of "6 of 1 one way and half a dozen the other"

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.

Last edited by ke6guj; 05-28-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

My HDHomerun 50 Feet to my router (100baseT) then 100 Feet to my SageTV PC no problems.

I think since you already have the cables set up, I would leave it. You probably could have saved yourself a 75 ft run to the switch if you wanted. I guess the only real issue, is where you what to put your switch.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

I go 2x50ft from 2HDHR to gigabit switch which has incomming line from router, and out from gigabit switch to sage is 75ft or so. So about the same setup as you.

Unless your cables are getting so much interference packets are being lost there is no need to change your setup. Delay from 500ft of cable is nothing.

Its not like a video cable or antenna cable where your trying to eleminate all interference.

If you went 300ft or run on top of high power lines or use really bad cable you is the only time you will see problems.