SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

CATV Splitter / Amplifier suggestions needed

Need an amplifier recommendation, although the EDA-FT08100 is the way I'm leaning.

Here is what I've got in my setup:

1. Cable comes in
--- Living room
------ PVR500
------ PVR500
------ cable modem
------ TV (used)
--- TV (used)
--- splitter
------ TV (unused)
------ TV (unsed)
------ TV (unused)
------ TV (unused)
------ TV (unused)
------ TV (unused)

Now, the problem is, from what I've read the PVR500's have an internal amp, so any time I try to amp the signal, it introduces noise. However, because that drop is my "big one", I want the cleanest & most powerful signal possible. If I can also clean up the rat nest by putting everything on 1 amp/splitter, I'd love that.

Suggestions?

I'd also REALLY REALLY like to buy something local so that if it gives my 500's problems, I can easily return it.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Might want to check out my old thread for some info (dual PVR-500):
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23646

I don't know enough to give you advice on a specific model.

However, there are two things you'll want to watch out for:

1. You will need amp that is specifically compatible with cable modems. Standard amps clean up the signal to the TVs but mess up the signal back to the cable companies, so the two-way communication through the cable modem is severely hampered. (I have DSL, so it didn't matter that the amp I got is unsuitable for cable modems.)

2. Pay close attention to how the signal is boosted. You will probably want an amp that boosts the signal just enough that the signal leaving each output jack is the same as the input jack. That would be 0 db in<-->out, IIRC.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:25 AM
SageTVaholic

I know it is a dreaded option, but if you are drastically changing the number of drops/devices used, you might want to just schedule a service call. The cable company probably has an attenuator or two on your feed. The signal at the curb should be strong enough to not require an amp anywhere in your home. The tech should be able to pull the attenuators, and check the level at each drop in your house, and install the proper att to get you to the right levels. The cost of the service call would probably be comparable to the cost of a decent amp (if not less), and the signal will be cleaner.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-10-2008, 08:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ooooh, good suggestion, Fuzzy. I actually used to work for a telco so I'm pretty comfortable working w/ cable runs. I'll poke around and see if I have any attenuators.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Well, odds are the att is in the box at the street, which you are not allowed to mess with. Really isn't worth messing with anyways, unless you have a signal strength meter to determine what SHOULD be there.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-14-2008, 07:02 AM
Sage User

If you could move your cable modem or add a coax run so that your modem can connect after a 2way split (which you would make your first split - one leg for the modem and one leg for everything else) you can simplify your choice of drop-amp (unless you have a cable box that needs to communicate back to the cable company).

Otherwise, check out the units here. You can get a unit that has splitters built in, or go with an amp and follow it with a splitter.

I went with this amp when I had too many splits for reliable HD reception, and it has worked great. I follow it with an 8-way split, plus additional 2-way or 3-way splits at the actual TVs. I believe it has a 0dB return path for cable modem signals, but I split my cable before the modem so I don't use the return path.